10-08-2019, 12:01 PM
User Info
Gents,

I have been a soap user for well over a year, and haven’t used any creams except Castle Frobes Lime once in the last 12 months.

So I came across a tub of Geo F Trumpers Coconut Oil Shaving Cream 200g on sale for 10 bucks shipped.  I thought to myself...I remember loving the smell of that cream, but hating the performance.  Well I used it early on in my wet shaving adventures when nothing was dialed in...razors, blades, brushes, etc etc...none of em perfect for me.  So I sort of discarded it, and other creams as well.  I thought why not purchase it at 10 bucks and give it a go now that I have found perfect razors and blades for me, and since my technique has improved as well.  So it’s on its way, and I am looking forward to it’s arrival!  

I also dug up dr Harris rose and Windsor shaving creams, Hemingway shaving cream, and of course castle Forbes lime.  They are all in great shape...and I am looking forward to becoming reacquainted now that everything else in my shaves is dialed in.  I think it will be interesting!

Vr

Matt

32 1,704
 10-08-2019, 12:31 PM
User Info
Matt, if you're evaluating English creams, the Asylum English Collection creams are excellent.

60 9,558
 10-08-2019, 12:36 PM
User Info
(10-08-2019, 12:31 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Matt, if you're evaluating English creams, the Asylum English Collection creams are excellent.

Thanks Ricardo! I might just check em out once I get through the 4-5 I planned to fool with in my little project.

Vr

Matt

32 1,704
 10-08-2019, 06:01 PM
User Info
Would be interested in knowing what your take is on the DR Harris Rose. Its on my list to try once I have made a significant dent in my current inventory. I would suggest Musgo as another cream to definitely try atleast once.

0 77
 10-08-2019, 06:24 PM
User Info
I'm curious to hear  your take on the Castle Forbes Lime.  I have that as well as their Lavender cream.

2 353
 10-08-2019, 06:35 PM
User Info
Wasn't there a mention of Le Labo shaving cream here earlier? Would be interested to hear more about this....

212 1,264
 10-08-2019, 06:57 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
After trying about every soap under the sun, I revisited creams and many are outstanding:

1.    Castle Forbes: I like 1445, a nice fougère, as well as the other scents. 
2.    Alvarez Gomez, a good match with AdP Colonia.
3.    XPEC
4.    Santa Maria Novella v3
5.    Acqua Di Parma, latest version.
6.    Penhaligon's creams
7.    Antica Barbieria Cola cream
8.   Proraso Single Blade Shaving Cream: Azure Lime is my favorite. 
9.   Fitjar Islands creams are much better than their soaps.
10. Stone Cottage Soapworks latest formulation are excellent creams.
11. Tabula Rasa
12. Esbjerg Shaving Creams
13. One of my favorite creams just closed shop, Obsessive Soap Perfectionist. Fortunately I have a stash. 

I get excellent shaves from all of the above creams, and enjoy rotating my favorite soaps with my favorite creams. Everyone has their favorite products, but for me a quality cream is just as enjoyable as a quality soap.

38 6,052
 10-09-2019, 04:52 AM
User Info
When it comes to creams, I always recommend Nancy Boy Signature. My favorite by far.

0 219
 10-09-2019, 05:45 AM
User Info
(10-08-2019, 06:57 PM)evnpar Wrote: After trying about every soap under the sun, I revisited creams and many are outstanding:

1.    Castle Forbes: I like 1445, a nice fougère, as well as the other scents. 
2.    Alvarez Gomez, a good match with AdP Colonia.
3.    XPEC
4.    Santa Maria Novella v3
5.    Acqua Di Parma, latest version.
6.    Penhaligon's creams
7.    Antica Barbieria Cola cream
8.   Proraso Single Blade Shaving Cream: Azure Lime is my favorite. 
9.   Fitjar Islands creams are much better than their soaps.
10. Stone Cottage Soapworks latest formulation are excellent creams.
11. Tabula Rasa
12. Esbjerg Shaving Creams
13. One of my favorite creams just closed shop, Obsessive Soap Perfectionist. Fortunately I have a stash. 

I get excellent shaves from all of the above creams, and enjoy rotating my favorite soaps with my favorite creams. Everyone has their favorite products, but for me a quality cream is just as enjoyable as a quality soap.
I have used about 8 of these regularly and agree wholeheartedly

80 1,469
 10-09-2019, 08:29 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Not a huge cream lover, but even the humble Proraso works good for me.

I really enjoyed the KMF creams. Too bad they're gone. I still have one left though.

The good thing about the creams is that you can get nice shaves without spending much. A 2-3 euros cream is sometimes a good option. Would you buy such a cheap soap and expect great shaves from it? Most probably no.

60 2,618
 10-09-2019, 09:35 AM
User Info
Difficult to beat Palmolive for pure performance and value for money. I'm not a massive cream user but do have a few of Trumper's which are very enjoyable indeed (violet, rose & lime... Might invest in one of their newly released tubs of Eucris.)

0 139
 10-09-2019, 09:41 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(10-09-2019, 09:35 AM)Rohleder Wrote: Difficult to beat Palmolive for pure performance and value for money. I'm not a massive cream user but do have a few of Trumper's which are very enjoyable indeed (violet, rose & lime... Might invest in one of their newly released tubs of Eucris.)
True.

60 2,618
 10-09-2019, 11:01 AM
User Info
Gents,

I am glad that I am changing it up and revisiting creams.

So far I have also found some Truefitt and Hill, and Baume.be as well to try again. I actually used Baume.be sometime in the last six or seven months and it’s fantastic. I also use SMN, and love that one...forgot since mine is a little closer to a soft croap now.

At any rate, I used DR Harris Rose yesterday and Windsor this morning. I think that both are superb! I used a three band thater brush, and lathered on the face...FANTASTIC shaves!

The Rose is a very very nice fragrance! I get a pretty authentic rose fragrance with a light/subtle hint of lemon fragrance in the background. It’s soft and refreshing without being crisp. The DR Harris Rose Milk on the other hand is synthetic smelling with a hint of latex in the background. Love the scent and performance of the Rose Cream...hate the fragrance of the Rose Aftershave Milk.

I will use the Castle Forbes Lime tomorrow. I always have gotten a wonderful lather from it, and the fragrance reminds me of Lime Sorbet. It’s amazing! The Castle Forbes Lime Balm is also top of the line, and hits on all cylinders for me!

Vr

Matt

32 1,704
 10-09-2019, 11:02 AM
User Info
Thanks for all of the recommendations guys! I am going to have to buy some creams now that it is getting cooler, and my experiment is going so well!

Vr

Matt

32 1,704
 10-09-2019, 11:19 AM
User Info
Matt, 
I love LE LABO shaving cream ... great scent & lather ...

7 194
 10-09-2019, 11:34 AM
User Info
(10-09-2019, 11:19 AM)zennhorst Wrote: Matt, 
I love LE LABO shaving cream ... great scent & lather ...

Then is on my list to acquire in the very near term! Thanks for the recommendation Przemek!

Vr

Matt

32 1,704
 10-09-2019, 12:00 PM
User Info
LE LABO shaving cream is great, but aftershave balm is even better. I love this set ...

[Image: pPKoRXh.jpg]

7 194
 10-10-2019, 02:10 PM
User Info
So the creams are starting to get some love here...both DR Harris creams were superb...great slick lather that afforded nice protection, and plenty of residual slickness!  The fragrances of the DR Harris Windsor and the Rose are outstanding to my nose!

Tomorrow’s shave I suspect is going to be epic...

Cream:  Castle Forbes Lime
Brush:  Paladin Chief (favorite brush I have)
Razor:  Brand New Brian Brown 6/8 Jade
Aftershave Serum:  Sebum Lime

I will report back, and below is a preview!

Vr

Matt

[Image: aRIHfFg.jpg]

32 1,704
 10-11-2019, 10:02 AM
User Info
Third cream in a row that I loved...In my opinion, Castle Forbes Lime is a higher quality cream than DR Harris creams. I faced lathered with my Paladin Chief brush, and the fragrance was strong and amazing! The cream/lather produced was very thick, and had some serious slip. I was quite pleased, and there was enough for four outstanding passes.

This shave was a bit of a softball...Brian Brown’s razors are at the top of the game, as is CF Lime, and Sebum Lime Serum.

If you like like fragrances combined with superior performance...I highly recommend CF Lime and Sebum Lime...you cant go wrong with either!

Next up (probably Sunday) Simpsons Shaving Cream, a shavemac two band silver tip, and a 6/8 Wacker Jungmeister. I have never used this fragrance free Simpsons cream, and for being fragrance free...it sure smells like freshly baked bread to me!

Vr

Matt

32 1,704
 10-11-2019, 03:24 PM
User Info
Well this is getting somewhat silly...I had a spot on my neck where the hair grows wild, and it’s difficult for me to get using a straight razor with a spike point.

The stubble couldn’t be seen, but it could be felt when I ran my hand against the grain...it was becoming annoying to me since I have issues dealing with less than perfection.

At any rate I found myself with some extra time, and I decided to test lather Truefitt and Hill Grafton Shave cream. I had found it in my wares unused, and said what the hell!

Well the face lather was so fantastic I then said to myself, get rid of that nasty stubble. One thing led to another, and I did three pass shave using my STAR Model 100 and a vintage Wilkinson Light Brigade blade on its 5th or 6th use. Needless to say, the stubble is gone.

The T&F Grafton produced an amazing lather that was very dense, and very very slick. There was excellent residual slickness, and this particular lather outperformed the Castle Forbes Lime, DR Harris Rose, and DR Harris Windsor.

As a side note, I love the Grafton Fragrance, and used to wear it everyday at work. It’s great if you are looking to try a new scent...though it isn’t the longest lasting, it is superb.

I am exceedingly happy to have dug up these creams up, and to have given them another shot.

They are outperforming some soaps that I hold in extremely high regard such as Martin De Candre, I Coloniali Mango, and Wholly Kaw. So I am going to continue this little experiment, and use the Simpsons next.

Vr

Matt

32 1,704