10-25-2019, 04:21 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(10-25-2019, 03:50 PM)Ols67 Wrote: Well...feeling a little under the weather the last few days, but hadn’t shaved since WED evening, so it was time.

I figured I would revisit a few things that I had written off when I initially started wet shaving...Geo F Trumpers Coconut Shaving Cream and the scuttle.

I initially was drawn to this shave cream because the smell is absolutely amazing.  However, because it was early on, I had a few terrible shaves with it...nicks...razor burn...just terrible.  So I wrote it off assuming that it was the cream, and not any of the other factors...technique, blades, razor, brush, etc.  so tonight I decided to revisit it.

I was initially drawn to the scuttle, because the idea of having nice warm shaving cream appealed to me, and the one that I chose was the Sara Bonnyman Texan Moss Scuttle.  My initial attempts to use the scuttle were terrible...the lather was often weak and broken down, and I couldn’t figure it out.  However tonight was different.  I used the Trumpers Coconut, built a robust lather in a separate bowl, and then transferred it to the scuttle.  I whipped it around in the scuttle bowl, and the lather got wonderfully warm.  Then, once I finished lathering on my face I marched the brush into the scuttle, and allowed it to stand splayed.  Did the lather breakdown and become airy in the scuttle yes...but it was warm, and by leaving the brush splayed out, the brush became really warm.  So when I reapplied the lather after subsequent passes, I simply face lathered with the nice warm brush until the lather rebuilt itself into a perfect result.

I used a three band badger Thater brush, Geo F Trumpers Coconut Shaving cream, the Bonnyman Texan Moss Scuttle, a separate lather bowl, a Wilkinson Light Brigade Blade that I have used so many times I lost count but it is still slicing through whiskers like a hot knife through butter, and my favorite STAR Model 100 razor, and I finished it all off with Sebum Lime post-shave serum!

The shave was amazing...result was absolute BBS....I was foolish to write off this coconut shaving cream, and the scuttle.  The cream was great, fired on all cylinders, and it provided a wonderful post-shave feel.  I actually waited for awhile before applying the sebum just to see.  All was fantastic!

If you wrote off some shaving equipment early on in your wet shaving exploits...maybe you should revisit it...you might be surprised!

Vr

Matt

Why not dispense with the lather bowl and lather on your face?  I’ve been lathering on my face for years and find a lather bowl to be redundant; in fact, I find it very pleasurable to lather on my face rather than smearing lather from a bowl on to my face.  I use an original Moss scuttle for holding my brush between passes and the lather on my brush is kept nice and warm.

9 1,120
 10-25-2019, 05:14 PM
User Info
(10-25-2019, 04:21 PM)Rufus Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 03:50 PM)Ols67 Wrote: Well...feeling a little under the weather the last few days, but hadn’t shaved since WED evening, so it was time.

I figured I would revisit a few things that I had written off when I initially started wet shaving...Geo F Trumpers Coconut Shaving Cream and the scuttle.

I initially was drawn to this shave cream because the smell is absolutely amazing.  However, because it was early on, I had a few terrible shaves with it...nicks...razor burn...just terrible.  So I wrote it off assuming that it was the cream, and not any of the other factors...technique, blades, razor, brush, etc.  so tonight I decided to revisit it.

I was initially drawn to the scuttle, because the idea of having nice warm shaving cream appealed to me, and the one that I chose was the Sara Bonnyman Texan Moss Scuttle.  My initial attempts to use the scuttle were terrible...the lather was often weak and broken down, and I couldn’t figure it out.  However tonight was different.  I used the Trumpers Coconut, built a robust lather in a separate bowl, and then transferred it to the scuttle.  I whipped it around in the scuttle bowl, and the lather got wonderfully warm.  Then, once I finished lathering on my face I marched the brush into the scuttle, and allowed it to stand splayed.  Did the lather breakdown and become airy in the scuttle yes...but it was warm, and by leaving the brush splayed out, the brush became really warm.  So when I reapplied the lather after subsequent passes, I simply face lathered with the nice warm brush until the lather rebuilt itself into a perfect result.

I used a three band badger Thater brush, Geo F Trumpers Coconut Shaving cream, the Bonnyman Texan Moss Scuttle, a separate lather bowl, a Wilkinson Light Brigade Blade that I have used so many times I lost count but it is still slicing through whiskers like a hot knife through butter, and my favorite STAR Model 100 razor, and I finished it all off with Sebum Lime post-shave serum!

The shave was amazing...result was absolute BBS....I was foolish to write off this coconut shaving cream, and the scuttle.  The cream was great, fired on all cylinders, and it provided a wonderful post-shave feel.  I actually waited for awhile before applying the sebum just to see.  All was fantastic!

If you wrote off some shaving equipment early on in your wet shaving exploits...maybe you should revisit it...you might be surprised!

Vr

Matt

Why not dispense with the lather bowl and lather on your face?  I’ve been lathering on my face for years and find a lather bowl to be redundant; in fact, I find it very pleasurable to lather on my face rather than smearing lather from a bowl on to my face.  I use an original Moss scuttle for holding my brush between passes and the lather on my brush is kept nice and warm.

Sometimes I lather on my face...not a purist here...it just depends on my mood, and the shaving kit that I am using!

Vr

Matt

34 1,923
 10-26-2019, 12:48 PM
User Info
(10-08-2019, 06:57 PM)evnpar Wrote: After trying about every soap under the sun, I revisited creams and many are outstanding:

1.    Castle Forbes: I like 1445, a nice fougère, as well as the other scents. 
2.    Alvarez Gomez, a good match with AdP Colonia.
3.    XPEC
4.    Santa Maria Novella v3
5.    Acqua Di Parma, latest version.
6.    Penhaligon's creams
7.    Antica Barbieria Cola cream
8.   Proraso Single Blade Shaving Cream: Azure Lime is my favorite. 
9.   Fitjar Islands creams are much better than their soaps.
10. Stone Cottage Soapworks latest formulation are excellent creams.
11. Tabula Rasa
12. Esbjerg Shaving Creams
13. One of my favorite creams just closed shop, Obsessive Soap Perfectionist. Fortunately I have a stash. 

I get excellent shaves from all of the above creams, and enjoy rotating my favorite soaps with my favorite creams. Everyone has their favorite products, but for me a quality cream is just as enjoyable as a quality soap.

I own or have owned every single cream on that list, and all are great performers.

But after really figuring soaps out, I just don't like even the best of the best creams as much as the best soaps.

I facelather, and I just get a better coverage on my face with a hard soap, when I apply the prelather to my face.
I also find it easier to get an even layer of the soap on my brush, as oppose to a cream, where I tend to get a lump of cream on the brush and have to smear this lump out on my face.

If I bowl lathered, I think I would love creams, but as a face lather I now far far prefer a soap over a cream.

For instance I used the fantastic Baume.Be cream yeaterday. It's great shaving cream with awesome performance. But it's still so soft, that I find it harder to get an even coating of cream on face to start out with.
So I have to work on my face with the lump of soft cream as I do when bowl lathering a cream, which I don't appreciate at all.

I prefer to get an even coating of soap spread all over my face, then I start to face lather working with the brush making the lather on my face and get a far better more equally distributed lather.

YMMV of course and all that good stuff :-)

25 6,669
 10-26-2019, 04:04 PM
User Info
Baume.be...FANTASTIC cream! Good call Claus! I will use it this week!

Hope all is well!

Vr

Matt

34 1,923
 10-26-2019, 07:29 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Matt, have you used any Coate's creams?

91 3,810
 10-27-2019, 07:40 AM
User Info
(10-26-2019, 07:29 PM)Nero Wrote: Matt, have you used any Coate's creams?

Hello Matt! Actually, as luck would have it, Ravi sent me a few to try. I am planning to use one this week. I am leaning towards the lime one, just because I like Lime fragrance, and I have that Lime sebum stuff...which I am really really enjoying!

So this week I have TOBS Platinum, Baume.be, and coates to use! I also have a rare blade that our friend Zortec sent to me from Poland, and a lapping plate to mess around with for when I use the Zulu Grey on my straights in-between shaves!

I am really looking forward to the shave week ahead! I might even buy an Arkansas Black Stone or another razor I have my sights on...if I get really excited! Who knows!

Have a great week!

Vr

Matt

34 1,923
 10-27-2019, 07:51 AM
User Info
Is there one that is better than the others?

Vr

Matt

[Image: gxYaz26.jpg]

34 1,923
 10-27-2019, 09:15 AM
  • Nero
User Info
(10-27-2019, 07:51 AM)Ols67 Wrote: Is there one that is better than the others?

Vr

Matt

[Image: gxYaz26.jpg]
I like the Tea Tree and Lavender the best, but you may find otherwise.

91 3,810
 10-28-2019, 11:14 AM
User Info
Gents,

I used the TOBS Platinum shaving cream today, and highly recommend trying some if you haven’t already.

The fragrance is very pear forward, and sophisticated to my nose. I liked it a great deal, and found the performance to be top notch...especially in the residual slickness department which is important to me.

I also used my Oneblade Blackblade loaded with the FHS-10!

I have heard all the arguments against the Oneblade Genesis and LEs, the razors are too expensive, this razor is not a traditional wetshaving tool, and the whole proprietary blade argument against this company/razor (the Version 2 ONLY accepts the FHS-10 blades which is off-putting to some). The blades are expensive, and I only get 2 shaves per blade. I don’t care about any of it. I do not claim to be a purist, and I enjoy what I enjoy!

I love using my Oneblade Blackblade! Is it as fun as my straight razors...ABSOLUTELY NOT...does it require the same skills as a straight razor or DE safety razor...NOPE no skill necessary...is it as zen...NOPE...Do I get to choose what blade I get to use...NOPE (actually I might...I haven’t tried a despined GEM and don’t know if Blackblade is a V1 or V2 platform).

Does this razor provide the easiest, smoothest irritation free BBS result every single time...YES...it delivers exactly that, every single time and with relative ease.

The Oneblade Blackblade is marvelously overbuilt...as are the other Genesis and LE versions...it looks great to my eye, feels great in my hand, feels great on my face...and delivers an easy irritation free BBS every time with ease and great efficiency, even on the trouble areas that I usually have to put extra time and effort towards. That is good enough for me!

Vr

Matt

34 1,923
 10-28-2019, 11:15 AM
User Info