10-11-2019, 12:49 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Hello Fellow Nookers

I recently acquired this marvellous and large vintage Kent, and gave it a good soak, clean and polish. It is a Kent V14 - a rare brush - and a marvel to both behold and use. I applied a decal (fake) as the original was missing. 

You can see just how beautifully the Catalin has mellowed into a deep, even butterscotch. It can't be photographed, but I can just discern under the "V14" on the back of the handle vestiges of the words "Pure Badger" and "Made in England".

Further painstaking research reveals the brush to date to at least February 1961 (which is also the date of the first Beatles appearance at The Cavern, Liverpool - my home town). I sourced this list (last picture, below) in an archive (Feb 61) copy of "The Chemist and Druggist". The image shows the listing of Kent brushes. The numbers are price codes, but there is no key, so they remain a mystery to me. 

In subsequent years the V14 is not listed, but it does ONCE pop up again in 1970. This indicates (to me) 1961 manufacturing and sales of the V14, and then a decade or so later, off-loading some older stock, but who really knows. Note the V-series ("Vase") Kents are advertised as "white handle". I have seen pictures of a V16, but I think this must surely be the display model. The V14 is quite usable.

Dimensions:

Knot: 33mm
Loft: 52mm
Handle height: 58mm
Shoulder at widest: 48mm
Overall height: 110mm

For comparison, I have placed the V14 next to a Simpson Chubby 2. The V14 knot is dense and incredibly soft, and a far superior knot to other V-series brushes I own and use. The Chubby 2 knot is slightly denser, but is something of a lather hog. The V14 yields beautifully, though. The Chubby weighs in at 83gm; the Kent: 122gm.

For your viewing pleasure:

[Image: cs0ySXk.jpg]
[Image: Fne7wlK.jpg]
[Image: t5Yzmkf.jpg]
[Image: M63iaF2.jpg]
[Image: DQr4DL0.jpg]

0 2,150
 10-11-2019, 02:37 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
This is great. Shaun. Your research threads are always opened with great anticipation. This one was not an exception. Very interesting. Thank you for bringing another piece of pogonotomy history to our attention.

When were you last back to Liverpool?

15 3,790
 10-11-2019, 02:53 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(10-11-2019, 02:37 AM)chazt Wrote: This is great. Shaun. Your research threads are always opened with great anticipation. This one was not an exception. Very interesting. Thank you for bringing another piece of pogonotomy history to our attention.

Hello Charlie

A few years now. My uncle Arthur and aunty Sadie ran a pub just right near the original Cavern, a place called the Beaconsfield, also an underground. You can Google it. I have it on good authority that prior to the Beatles, Ringo drank there. It was more affable, and cheaper than alcohol served in clubs. I visited them in 1976, and by then the place was less well known. my father also worked in bars and held the license of a wine saloon.

Glad you like the post. Thank you Charlie.

0 2,150
 10-11-2019, 09:30 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
Very, very nice, Shaun!  You fellas Down Under seem to come up with all sorts of interesting finds.  Enjoy!

4 911
 10-11-2019, 10:51 AM
User Info
That looks like an excellent huge knot, Shaun.  I like the 52mm loft.  Definitely not a floppy Kent.

60 9,692
 10-11-2019, 01:17 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(10-11-2019, 10:51 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: That looks like an excellent huge knot, Shaun.  I like the 52mm loft.  Definitely not a floppy Kent.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Excellent thread Shaun, and beautiful brush!

12 2,192
 10-11-2019, 01:32 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
Pretty neat.   Thanks for sharing!

32 894
 10-11-2019, 03:06 PM
User Info
I love the big knots.  That one would be a dream for me.

You're a lucky guy!

1 590
 10-11-2019, 05:05 PM
  • timwcic
  • St Petersburg, Fl
User Info
That is a nice Kent. It has a good looking head of hair. I never ran across a V14 but have a V16 in my den for years. Originally was 38mm but reknotted with a 36mm bulb. It is big but usable, come out a few times a year

[Image: 431jq5t.jpg]

[Image: OzWWMUC.jpg]

[Image: 4Rp3TWW.jpg]

8 259
 10-11-2019, 05:18 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(10-11-2019, 05:05 PM)timwcic Wrote: That is a nice Kent. It has a good looking head of hair. I never ran across a V14 but have a V16 in my den for years. Originally was 38mm but reknotted with a 36mm bulb. It is big but usable, come out a few times a year

[Image: 431jq5t.jpg]

[Image: OzWWMUC.jpg]

[Image: 4Rp3TWW.jpg]

Holy mackerel! Huge!!!

0 2,150
 10-12-2019, 05:04 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-11-2019, 02:53 AM)Shaun Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 02:37 AM)chazt Wrote: This is great. Shaun. Your research threads are always opened with great anticipation. This one was not an exception. Very interesting. Thank you for bringing another piece of pogonotomy history to our attention.

Hello Charlie

A few years now. My uncle Arthur and aunty Sadie ran a pub just right near the original Cavern, a place called the Beaconsfield, also an underground. You can Google it. I have it on good authority that prior to the Beatles, Ringo drank there. It was more affable, and cheaper than alcohol served in clubs. I visited them in 1976, and by then the place was less well known. my father also worked in bars and held the license of a wine saloon.

My wife and I visited Liverpool last July. It seemed a fun, mid-sized city. We enjoyed our few days there. We drank in a few pubs, but couldn’t get to more than three or four as we were only there for three days. Call me crazy, but I avoided the Cavern as its current incarnation is not the one of Fab lore. If I ever Get Back there, maybe....

15 3,790
 10-12-2019, 08:59 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
[/quote]

My wife and I visited Liverpool last July. It seemed a fun, mid-sized city. We enjoyed our few days there. We drank in a few pubs, but couldn’t get to more than three or four as we were only there for three days. Call me crazy, but I avoided the Cavern as its current incarnation is not the one of Fab lore. If I ever Get Back there, maybe....
[/quote]

Indeed, yes. The current ‘Cavern’ isn’t...it’s Nowhere Land. I’m surprised anyone would ever want to see it.

0 2,150