Poll: What Does The Term "Safety Razor" Mean To You?
This poll is closed.
The Classic Double Edge Razor
44.44% of votes
Any Razor (Double Edge, Single Edge, Cartridge) That Has A Skin Guard
44.44% of votes
Something Else
11.11% of votes
* You voted for this item.
 10-13-2019, 08:38 AM
User Info
I'm doing some research for a blog post about the meaning of "safety razor." There are variations of the meaning depending on the reference source: Wikipedia says "A safety razor is a shaving implement with a protective device positioned between the edge of the blade and the skin;" Gillette says "From the first safety razor–a razor handle that houses a double-edge razor blade—to ProShield lubrication technology..."; Encyclopedia.com says ""The modern blade razor consists of a specially designed blade mounted in a metal or plastic shell that is attached to a handle."

I have an email into the US Patent And Trademark Office for their opinion.

What does the term "safety razor" mean to you?  The classic double edge (DE) razor?  Any razor (double edge, single edge, cartridge) with a skin guard?  Something else?

0 56
 10-13-2019, 09:07 AM
User Info
Any razor with a guard; be it a straight, wedge, DE, SE, or cart - from Jean-Jacques Perret to the latest multiblade horror.

3 6,714
 10-13-2019, 09:16 AM
User Info
I voted for the classic double edge razor,  but I was limited by the poll choices.  For me, the SE  is a safety razor, but the cartridge is not.  Thus, I could not vote for option 2.

A safety razor has a safety bar and uses replaceable blades.  A cartridge razor has a safety bar and uses a replaceable head assembly (the "cartridge") housing the blades.

60 9,693
 10-13-2019, 10:24 AM
User Info
I voted for the classic double edge razor; although I would probably consider a razor which uses an artist club style blade a safety razor also. Although when I think of a safety razor an AC style razor isn't what comes to mind first.

12 639
 10-13-2019, 12:06 PM
User Info
It's pretty simple. A safety razor has a bar that prevents the blade from cutting all the way down to the teeth. 1/8" depth is about maximum with one. Biggrin

And yes, any type of replaceable blade razor.

32 6,584
 10-13-2019, 03:02 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I am not sure of the history of the term and if implied a certain type/style of razor.  Some usage today implies DE razor.  If we ignore the marketing terminology, any razor designed for protection from shaving cuts could be called a "safer" razor.  That could include the Lady Gillette.

17 858
 10-13-2019, 07:15 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I voted other. Safety razors, imo, are fitted with DE and SE (i.e., GEM, Injector and AC) blades. Carts are categorically different. The user must replace a head assembly, not a single blade. Iirc, Gillette initially was keen on making a distinction between double edge razors and the Trac II. They definitely tried to put some distance between old school safety razors and their new, modern system. Therefore, a cartridge razor is a cartridge razor, not a safety razor. Otherwise, it’s all semantics.

15 3,790
 10-13-2019, 08:16 PM
User Info
(10-13-2019, 09:16 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I voted for the classic double edge razor,  but I was limited by the poll choices.  For me, the SE  is a safety razor, but the cartridge is not.  Thus, I could not vote for option 2.

A safety razor has a safety bar and uses replaceable blades.  A cartridge razor has a safety bar and uses a replaceable head assembly (the "cartridge") housing the blades.

This.

36 1,923
 10-15-2019, 05:16 PM
User Info
For me it means there's a bar before the blade. There is not direct exposure of the blade.

0 25
 10-17-2019, 07:37 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Anything that is not a straight razor or shavette.

186 25,794
 11-20-2019, 03:05 PM
User Info
Anything that has a guard, whether it's a SE or DE.

0 25