10-25-2019, 01:52 PM
  • Sevenbark
  • Lower Clinch River Valley
User Info
Thanks for keeping us up to date. I would have hated to missed the boat on this, was able to pickup the finest. Would have loved a three band, I am a sucker for three band! I will get some pictures up asap.

22 329
 10-26-2019, 01:03 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I'm still waiting on the Finest Badger. I like a little more backbone than the three-band, and I've enjoyed the 2019 TSN LE 25mm 2-band knot. I am looking forward to this gorgeous handle, and wish it was also available in a boar knot. 

[Image: 1cTP6cN.jpg]

38 6,073
 10-27-2019, 06:26 AM
User Info
Awesome brushes! I own a Semogue Super Badger brush and it’s proven to be one of the best values in my collection... The bristles have the right combination of no scritch yet not too floppy. Semogue pricing is reasonable also.

3 64
 10-27-2019, 07:56 AM
User Info
Such a nice shape and overall presentation on this brush. Semogue has always done a really nice job but as of late say the last 5 years the brushes coming out are really to my liking.

84 1,757
 10-27-2019, 04:49 PM
User Info
So how about a review of the 3-band knot?

29 424
 10-28-2019, 04:38 PM
User Info
Three band just arrived, #23. Very little funk, soft tips out of the box and plenty of backbone for 3-band. Notes to come.
Photo after two lathers, still damp.
[Image: 31nQkGc.jpg]

13 1,930
 11-02-2019, 10:17 AM
User Info
I see that Semogue badger brushes are less expensive than some of the other big brand names. How do they compare? Are they scratchy?

0 7
 11-02-2019, 11:09 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(11-02-2019, 10:17 AM)MossMan Wrote: I see that Semogue badger brushes are less expensive than some of the other big brand names. How do they compare? Are they scratchy?

My SOC 2 band is about 5 years old. The hair they used then provides stout backbone with soft tips. There is no scritch at all, just a pleasantly palpable scrub. Flow through is just right. The break-in period was about 15-20 shaves. I’m hard pressed to find any fault with this brush. A solid performer, very reasonably priced.

15 3,750
 11-05-2019, 12:51 PM
User Info
[Image: 424ff265b456b1cba1be6d086344aa60.jpg]
After a few uses it’s opening up nicely. It plays like a bigger brush than it is, a real lather machine. It’s soft and slightly scrubby. So far I’m impressed with this hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 1,930
 11-06-2019, 06:15 AM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
This is a beautiful handle and both knots are great looking, per Semogue class as usual. I was hoping to see the Boar lined up next to these as well. Maybe there will be a release soon to compliment the handle?

0 584
 11-07-2019, 04:18 PM
User Info
(10-26-2019, 01:03 PM)evnpar Wrote: I'm still waiting on the Finest Badger. I like a little more backbone than the three-band, and I've enjoyed the 2019 TSN LE 25mm 2-band knot. I am looking forward to this gorgeous handle, and wish it was also available in a boar knot. 

[Image: 1cTP6cN.jpg]

Sweet picture Richard!

Vr

Matt

32 1,816
 11-10-2019, 03:56 AM
User Info
(10-27-2019, 04:49 PM)scritchnscrub Wrote: So how about a review of the 3-band knot?/

My pleasure!
Glad to share some first impressions. 

The Selected Silvertip is the Semogue threebander. It is noticeably softer than the two band Finest Badger, which is more in Manchurian territory. It also densely packed, and that makes the knot feel as firm as the Finest. 

Shape-wise, a bit hybrid between build and fan but leaning more to bulbous. That shape seems to work well in these midsize brushes, around the 24 mm, and set not too low.

While this brush is still in its breaking in period, I think Semogue got another gem here. It fits in and builds upon the Semogue tradition, when compared to the other great Semogies in my collection. I own for instance also the Semogue 2013 Foro Afeitado Limited Edition, and the original Semogue 2010 Limited Edition Silvertip (of which I bought #83 and #83, that time quite an expensive buy for me but never regretted that decision).

Like those brushes, this one creates a luxurious lather ample aerated with small bubbles. Compared to the Finest, the lather seems denser but equally light and stable.
And that is after only a few uses, based upon my experience with the earlier Selected Silvertips I expect this brush to open up and perform even better in a weeks time. 

And a word on the handle. I wasn't as attracted to the white resin as I was to the knot from the pictures, but these turn out to be beautiful and a pleasure to use as well.
Semogue is really hard to beat at these midsize brushes, they always seems to find that sweet spot where handle shape and size and knot work together very effectively.

I will try to stick to the brush for a few days and see if I can post some further impressions.

0 733
 11-10-2019, 05:14 AM
User Info
(11-10-2019, 03:56 AM)wimbouman Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 04:49 PM)scritchnscrub Wrote: So how about a review of the 3-band knot?/

My pleasure!
Glad to share some first impressions. 

The Selected Silvertip is the Semogue threebander. It is noticeably softer than the two band Finest Badger, which is more in Manchurian territory. It also densely packed, and that makes the knot feel as firm as the Finest. 

Shape-wise, a bit hybrid between build and fan but leaning more to bulbous. That shape seems to work well in these midsize brushes, around the 24 mm, and set not too low.

While this brush is still in its breaking in period, I think Semogue got another gem here. It fits in and builds upon the Semogue tradition, when compared to the other great Semogies in my collection. I own for instance also the Semogue 2013 Foro Afeitado Limited Edition, and the original Semogue 2010 Limited Edition Silvertip (of which I bought #83 and #83, that time quite an expensive buy for me but never regretted that decision).

Like those brushes, this one creates a luxurious lather ample aerated with small bubbles. Compared to the Finest, the lather seems denser but equally light and stable.
And that is after only a few uses, based upon my experience with the earlier Selected Silvertips I expect this brush to open up and perform even better in a weeks time. 

And a word on the handle. I wasn't as attracted to the white resin as I was to the knot from the pictures, but these turn out to be beautiful and a pleasure to use as well.
Semogue is really hard to beat at these midsize brushes, they always seems to find that sweet spot where handle shape and size and knot work together very effectively.

I will try to stick to the brush for a few days and see if I can post some further impressions.

Great review - thank you - and congratulations on your purchases!

29 424
 11-10-2019, 07:25 AM
User Info
(11-06-2019, 06:15 AM)Garb Wrote: This is a beautiful handle and both knots are great looking, per Semogue class as usual. I was hoping to see the Boar lined up next to these as well. Maybe there will be a release soon to compliment the handle?

Now you have me dreaming of a jade handled Semogue boar....

0 733
 11-11-2019, 09:17 AM
User Info
If my SOC 2 band is anything to go by this looks to be a amazing brush. The handle is a looker!

0 125
 11-11-2019, 10:17 AM
User Info
(11-11-2019, 09:17 AM)MrWonderful Wrote: If my SOC 2 band is anything to go by this looks to be a amazing brush. The handle is a looker!

Great excuse to get them out of their hiding place and see how they compare ;-)

I have both the Semogue Owners Club Two Band (the wood handle at the left) and the Semogue Limited Edition 2011 Finest Badger (blue resin handle on the right) when it comes to two banders. 

[Image: UgzBd6O.jpg]

I sadly forgot to record in what year I bought the SOC. But it has quite a couple of years under its belt. I think the knot in the batch hair of those days might be just a tad larger and a bit less dense. And it seems to weigh a bit less than the new 2019 Foro Afeitado Limited Edition. The largest difference is perhaps the brush shape; to my eyes is the SOC noticeably more fan shaped. The LE is more similar to the new 2019 Foro Afeitado Limited Edition in terms of size - the LE is definitely a tad smaller - and bulb shape, but the hair feels s lot more like that of the SOC. 

0 733
 11-12-2019, 07:41 AM
User Info
What would you say this brush compares to? This brush is new to me. Thanks!

0 24