10-20-2019, 06:36 AM
User Info
Gents,

I looked outside my window and saw a rather large and majestic looking hawk perched on top of my neighbors car in the rain.  So I figured that is odd, I will snap a picture.  

As I approached, it looked at me, and flew to the ground.  It stared for a moment, and then turned its attention to the other car.  I thought to myself “How strange is this?”  

I continued to approach and take pictures, and then I saw what was actually going on here...take a look at the epic stand-off that unfolded right before my eyes!!

Then I thought... “Man...life can always be worse...that squirrel is in the hurt!”  I have been there a few times, and it is not a nice place to be.

So I just continued to approach slowly taking whichever pictures I could until the predator was run off.

Damn squirrel will probably repay me by getting into my attic and chewing through wires!

Life can always be worse gents...remember the squirrel and the hawk!

Vr

Matt

[Image: JCme8FK.jpg][Image: 63inNmM.jpg][Image: dwDXCdg.jpg][Image: H95Pdaa.jpg][Image: DdSEM4G.jpg][Image: UZuWQys.jpg]

32 1,843
 10-20-2019, 06:39 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Thanks for the perspective, Matt.

113 19,245
 10-20-2019, 06:40 AM
User Info
Beautiful bird though, thanks for sharing the photos and the story Smile

3 6,679
 10-20-2019, 07:02 AM
User Info
My pleasure gents!  If I ever move to a place with some land, I should take up falconry.  These large birds of prey are beautiful!

Vr

Matt

32 1,843
 10-20-2019, 07:37 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Ahh, the struggle between predator and prey. I suppose that since we’re pretty high on the food chain, seeing it in action is always fascinating to watch. There are a bunch of feral cats in our neighborhood, and we have seen a number of cat/bird incidents over the years. Major drama.

15 3,771
 10-20-2019, 12:19 PM
User Info
Every autumn we have that years new raptors coming through on their way south for the winter. One year, when we still had our bird feeders, there was a young hawk trying to get a meal from the birds at the feeders. It was more like harassment of the feeding birds than anything. It would perch 40' away in the trees and when it left to come swooping down would give a call to warn them all. This went on for quite some time before it left to find birds even dumber than it. It left me wondering just how many survive each year.

FWIW, I didn't intervene. It was just nature doing what nature does. The hawk either got it's meal and a bird died, or the hawk wasn't going to eat and it would die. Either way a bird was going to die eventually. I wasn't going to make the choice. But it was neat to see.

32 6,582
 10-21-2019, 07:01 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(10-20-2019, 12:19 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Every autumn we have that years new raptors coming through on their way south for the winter. One year, when we still had our bird feeders, there was a young hawk trying to get a meal from the birds at the feeders. It was more like harassment of the feeding birds than anything. It would perch 40' away in the trees and when it left to come swooping down would give a call to warn them all. This went on for quite some time before it left to find birds even dumber than it. It left me wondering just how many survive each year.

FWIW, I didn't intervene. It was just nature doing what nature does. The hawk either got it's meal and a bird died, or the hawk wasn't going to eat and it would die. Either way a bird was going to die eventually. I wasn't going to make the choice. But it was neat to see.

we all will die eventually. I find it disturbing when humans' value judgement determine who eats (lives) and who starves (dies) and not the natural order of things. the warning call was intervention. the picture taking was intervention. so some choose song birds and small mammals over a majestic raptor. I am glad that no one took out a shotgun to get rid of that dangerous bird.

0 355
 10-21-2019, 01:46 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Great photos and message.  As for as shotguns, I just use them on ducks and geese.  Both make a great family meal.

186 25,780
 10-21-2019, 02:47 PM
User Info
Not to mention that shooting a raptor I would judge to be illegal in most all the states of the Union.

32 6,582
 11-04-2019, 12:07 AM
User Info
Wow! What a great thing to witness! That last shot is especially incredible.

15 162