09-22-2012, 12:30 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I remember a movie with that same title , "Things change" back in the 90's but , at this time , Im talking about how my "taste" have changed in the last months regarding the items I use for shaving.

Triple milled shaving soaps used to be my top preference , as well as shave sticks and two band badger hair brushes.Also making lather with circular strokes , and (almost) , never , I used an scuttle.If you have asked me months ago , that was my shaving "nirvana" or my preferences.

Things have changed , and my skin too. I used to have dry skin , and I now have extra dry skin and sensitive , to add more "problems".So I had to changed certain things/routines/items , to keep enjoying very nice shaves.

From triple milled shaving soaps I have passed to shave creams since I have started using pre shave oils , which truly makes the difference right now , with my extra dry , sensitive skin.
I founded that pre shave oils works much better with shaving creams than with shaving soaps , and as I said , they truly make the difference if I don't want to finish my shave with dry skin.

Can I still using shaving soaps?Of course , but I have noticed that , even the top ones , like Martin de Candre or Mitchell's Wool Fat , dries my skin a little bit when in the past , I didn't suffered that dryness of skin after the shave.

I now use more "to and fro" strokes than circular ones , due to my sensitive skin and use more silvertip brushes , with extra soft tips , than 2 band badger brushes.I sometimes change that and use 2 band brushes , like I did today , and used also , circular and to and fro movements , but I prefer to do a mix of to and fro strokes with circular ones.

Yes , most of 2 band brushes have soft tips , but I find that silvertip , usually , have even softer tips and also a better flow than 2 band ,that are more "stiff" , or with a extra firm backbone.I have flee away from extra firm backbone brushes , like the ones I use to enjoy before.The silvertip fibre brushes are also more than welcome.They have been a new "shaving revelation" to me.

I used to shave before the shower , and now I do it , after a quick shower (less than a minute and a half) with warm water.That helps to soften my bristles a little bit more, and instead of making lather for over two minutes on my face , I do it for less than a minute and a half too.This soften my bristles but not my skin , which is an enemy if you want to enjoy a good shave.

So , I have introduce the pre shave oil, the shaving creams and the to and fro circular movements ,when making lather and also , enjoy more the silvertip badger brushes than the 2 band brushes and shave after a quick, warm water shower.

Funny how things change.I guess that life is about changing too , and shaving is part of it.Biggrin

What have you changed regarding your shaving items or technique lately and how is it working for you?

86 7,123
 09-22-2012, 01:51 PM
User Info
Teiste, I'm glad you've been able to alter your routine to keep getting great shaves. However, I am a bit concerned for you. The skin is our largest organ and I'm afraid that your worsening dry skin could be more of a health concern than a shaving nuisance. I hope you stay well hydrated as dry skin could be s a sign of dehydration along with many other things.

31 7,914
 09-22-2012, 02:23 PM
User Info
The skin is something I never took much stock of in the past, but Brian is correct, What a surprise that a Dr. would know that huh?. If I remember correctly the average skin organ weighs 32#, that was 15-20 years ago. It might average more than that now in the USA.

Today I take much better care of my facial skin than when I began blade shaving. I never gave it a thought in the past. Skin was just something that kept the blood from flowing out. I want to look like I'm 40 into my 90s if I can. The walker will probably give that away though. Biggrin ("Mommy, what's that young looking guy doing with the walker?". Yeah, that'll fool 'em! Biggrin )

32 6,309
 09-22-2012, 02:44 PM
User Info
i have not changed things in the last seven months except for razors and brushes. However, i have stopped using alum. Everything is still the same, cold water + Thayers + Unrefined Shea Butter.

75 20,883
 09-22-2012, 02:47 PM
User Info
Back when I first started using a straight razor, I used the stuff in the can. Then I progressed to brush & soap. Now I have full blown BAD. And a little bit of SAD.

9 2,988
 09-22-2012, 03:24 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
If you shave everyday you need something to keep your skin hydrated especially with dry skin. I am using mostly softer brushes like horsehair and silvertip and instead of soap I am using more creams. I never used an after shave balm until about a year ago and now I can't do without it. The skin takes a pounding everyday so we must compensate for all that cell lose.

100 12,445
 09-22-2012, 03:42 PM
User Info
To Tieste and Slantman (other posters too, of course) - which pre-shave oils do you recommend? I know that some say the AOS preshave oil is gummy in their opinion. Thanks for the feedback.

15 316
 09-22-2012, 03:48 PM
User Info
I never found a PSO to be worth anything. I do find that a proper presoap and soak (or a few minutes for face lather) to be well worth it.

32 6,309
 09-22-2012, 05:50 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
The only thing that has stayed the same for me in the past 3 years are my razors and blades, a SS with Red Pack Personna in winter and Merkur 34G with a Merkur blade in summer. Then last week, on a whim, I began using a 7 O'Clock Blue blade and I feel a switch in blades may be coming.

Everything else seems to change every few months. With brushes I've gone from a scritch lover to a scritch hater and from medium to small and back to medium in size. I've gone from only creams to soft soaps to sticks to hard soaps. I said I was through with creams and now I'm in the middle of using the T&H samples and love them. My face seems to feel softer since I've been using them. I don't know how I can be happy with 2 razors for so long and keep switching everything else.

0 204
 09-22-2012, 07:10 PM
User Info
(09-22-2012, 12:30 PM)Teiste Wrote: I remember a movie with that same title , "Things change" back in the 90's but , at this time , Im talking about how my "taste" have changed in the last months regarding the items I use for shaving.

Triple milled shaving soaps used to be my top preference , as well as shave sticks and two band badger hair brushes.Also making lather with circular strokes , and (almost) , never , I used an scuttle.If you have asked me months ago , that was my shaving "nirvana" or my preferences.

Things have changed , and my skin too. I used to have dry skin , and I now have extra dry skin and sensitive , to add more "problems".So I had to changed certain things/routines/items , to keep enjoying very nice shaves.

From triple milled shaving soaps I have passed to shave creams since I have started using pre shave oils , which truly makes the difference right now , with my extra dry , sensitive skin.
I founded that pre shave oils works much better with shaving creams than with shaving soaps , and as I said , they truly make the difference if I don't want to finish my shave with dry skin.

Can I still using shaving soaps?Of course , but I have noticed that , even the top ones , like Martin de Candre or Mitchell's Wool Fat , dries my skin a little bit when in the past , I didn't suffered that dryness of skin after the shave.

I now use more "to and fro" strokes than circular ones , due to my sensitive skin and use more silvertip brushes , with extra soft tips , than 2 band badger brushes.I sometimes change that and use 2 band brushes , like I did today , and used also , circular and to and fro movements , but I prefer to do a mix of to and fro strokes with circular ones.

Yes , most of 2 band brushes have soft tips , but I find that silvertip , usually , have even softer tips and also a better flow than 2 band ,that are more "stiff" , or with a extra firm backbone.I have flee away from extra firm backbone brushes , like the ones I use to enjoy before.The silvertip fibre brushes are also more than welcome.They have been a new "shaving revelation" to me.

I used to shave before the shower , and now I do it , after a quick shower (less than a minute and a half) with warm water.That helps to soften my bristles a little bit more, and instead of making lather for over two minutes on my face , I do it for less than a minute and a half too.This soften my bristles but not my skin , which is an enemy if you want to enjoy a good shave.

So , I have introduce the pre shave oil, the shaving creams and the to and fro circular movements ,when making lather and also , enjoy more the silvertip badger brushes than the 2 band brushes and shave after a quick, warm water shower.

Funny how things change.I guess that life is about changing too , and shaving is part of it.Biggrin

What have you changed regarding your shaving items or technique lately and how is it working for you?

I've changed so many things since I got into traditional wetshaving 2 1/2 years ago that I'm afraid to offer advice for fear I'll start doing something differently. I guess that's why this has become a hobby for me, I want to try everything!

0 282
 09-22-2012, 07:27 PM
User Info
Good topic Teiste...

I started traditional shaving believing there wasn't a soap or a brush I couldn't adapt to and learn to live with and I still believe that now more than ever.

Where I've changed quite a bit is razors.I've gone from modern cast zamac,to vintage TTO Gillettes.....Then Pre 1930 3 piece Gillettes and then to modern stainless steel.

These days except for an occasional enjoyable run with a 1918 Gillette OLD I now shave exclusively with single edge razors.

I've found Single Edge Razors to be more effective / efficient....they offer great responsivness and feedback and they're a whole lot more fun to shave with.I've tried a variety of models and while some have been better than others,I haven't found any single edge razor that was a let down.

They aren't making them anymore and I've almost acquired all the ones I've wanted so I'll be allocating my money for a replate once in a while and stock pilling blades.

….At least that's the plan.

7 414
 09-22-2012, 07:47 PM
User Info
Agreed, Teiste. Preferences can change, and that is part of the fun!

I have gone from mild to efficient back to mild razors, cream to soap, aftershave to none and badger to boar to synthetic preference, to name a few. And still learning and trying new things.

47 1,270
 09-22-2012, 08:58 PM
User Info
Maybe I should try DE's again. Sounds like there's more variety to life. Biggrin

9 2,988
 09-22-2012, 09:08 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I'm thankful for the things that have not changed, like MWF.

173 23,546
 09-22-2012, 10:09 PM
User Info
Teiste, I have started using preshaves and creams more myself, I used to be a shave stick freak...

The desert air really messes with your skin and dries it out, especially when it gets cold, we have hardly any wind in Arizona but I still get wind burnt.

0 652
 09-23-2012, 04:03 AM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
I have a mild case of rosacea and very very sensitive skin, as such I have always been wet shaving with soap and brush. However in my last six months of using a DE safety razor, I have discovered the creams. No matter how good the soap, you cannot beat the rich lather of the creams and their ability to make for a perfect shave. In addition, when I was wet shaving with soap I needed a firmer brush like boar to produce the lather. But coupled with my discovery of the creams, I also discovered the Silvertip Badger Brush, amazing. The combination of the Cream Soap and the Silvertip Badger have made shaving a daily pleasure. As far as shave oils are concerned, I apply a few dabs of extra virgin olive oil before lathering up. It works great and goes a long way towards lubricating the skin. The above have made my shaving experience a pleasant one, especially with my dry skin. Happy Shaving. Sam.

0 108
 09-23-2012, 03:39 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
When I started DE shaving I used a 34C, a variety of blades finally ending up with a Feather, Proraso original green and Proraso AS. Then I wanted to try everything, slants, adjustables, OCs, straights, and other creams and soaps. I changed so much so quickly that I ended up doing a lot of damage to my skin. I completely lost control and couldn't even begin to figure out what to do next. Finally, I just stopped and stabilized things. I used a Merkur 25 head on a Weber Bulldog handle, mostly used creams, Proraso pre-shave, and witch hazel and/or Proraso post-shave.

Then I started to reevaluate everything, changing one thing at a time. As a result, I now find that pre-shave oil is useful, but only with a cream. Pre and post shave treatments can add a lot to the enjoyment of a shave. I don't own any "bad" razors, but I am going to sell some that just don't work well on my face.

I spend more time improving my technique and paying attention to what works in my nook as apposed to assuming I can use every new thing I run into. I can see setting up a weekly rotation of 2 - 3 razors, a limited number of creams, soaps, etc. and enjoy getting a consistent result.

Although, I'll definitely need at least a dozen bowls/scuttles to get by. Biggrin

16 545
 09-23-2012, 04:16 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Interesting , gentlemen : it seems to me that most of us change the routine/items more than we think , trying to archive better shaves.

Something I forgot to mention is that I used to go for a 4 pass shave , and now , I do 2 passes and a half or 3 and thats it , never 4 or 5 like 6 months or a year ago.For me now, is about to get a very comfortable shave more than archived a BBS shave.And actually , that comfortable shave last me around 6 to 7 hours , before the stubble shows up or its noticeable.

86 7,123
 09-23-2012, 08:21 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I am with you on passes. Before I would go crazy trying to chase that BBS, sometimes that meant razor burn that lasted me all day. Now, 2 passes and I feel great, if BBS happened - excellent, if not, there is always tomorrow Biggrin

88 4,233
 09-26-2012, 10:20 AM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
(09-23-2012, 08:21 PM)beartrap Wrote: ...if BBS happened - excellent, if not, there is always tomorrow Biggrin

Wise words indeed.

0 132