10-21-2019, 10:46 AM
User Info
Gents,

I recently was blessed enough to be able to purchase this razor, and it arrived today!

The company that produces them is called Osiris Bladeworks, which appears to be a oneman shop based out of Colorado.  As I unwrapped it, I said to myself, “This is the most beautiful straight that I have ever held!”  It is a very stout and formidable razor at 9/8, and I would guess somewhere between near wedge and quarter hollow.

The spacer between the scales is a nice shiny piece of brass, and the scales themselves shimmer just a bit in the light, which I couldn’t quite catch in my pictures with the iPhone 6s (I am a few generations behind!).

The sweet line which separates the Damascus steel from the core of the razor on the face of the blade is a nickel shim.

Regarding the core, it is the Japanese Hitachi Blue #2.  I don’t know if it makes a great straight razor, but I guess I am going to find out!  The heat treat is everything (I watch forged in fire), and I am particularly interested in its ability to take an acute edge, and to be able to retain it!  

Does anyone have any experience with the #2?  What are your thoughts?

So we will see, but based off of looks alone, I really am liking this razor!

I might use it tomorrow, or I might use the Wacker Old Sheffield, which also arrived today!  It’s good to have options!

Vr

Matt

[Image: vlgtQV8.jpg][Image: npjbKhH.jpg][Image: 8k8ISrB.jpg][Image: dGJazLT.jpg][Image: 8oqvxpC.jpg][Image: 0ArGBtb.jpg][Image: FQFg1cP.jpg]

32 1,804
 10-21-2019, 11:30 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Looks Amazing! Enjoy it.

66 5,539
 10-21-2019, 12:18 PM
User Info
Absolutely gorgeous piece of shaving artwork!

0 28
 10-21-2019, 12:32 PM
User Info
Thanks Gents! I will shoot an update after it’s first use!

Vr

Matt

32 1,804
 10-21-2019, 05:09 PM
User Info
Went another way this evening...will use the Osiris later this week.  If anyone is looking for a new straight...I can highly recommend the Wacker Old Sheffield!  The shave was SUPERB!

Remember to drink and shave responsibly!

Vr

Matt

[Image: RE9NdRH.jpg]

32 1,804
 10-24-2019, 09:21 AM
User Info
Gents,

Last night I used the Osiris 9/8 with Nuavia Nera/Black shave soap, and my Paladin Chief.  It was an awesome shave through 2 days of growth.  

I love the razor...I love the looks...I love the feel both in the hand and on the face...I really like the edge.  I think that the current edge on it probably has not reached its full potential, and I will be sending it out to be honed after a few more shaves.  I don’t feel comfortable fooling with it on my Zulu Grey since it has a curved edge.  That being said, the shave and its results were both amazing with no real pulling, and certainly no irritation.

The Hitachi Blue #2 just felt different on the face...and it was fantastic.  I can’t exactly put my finger on it, and maybe it’s the steel, the grind, the shape, the edge, or maybe it’s just in my head since this razor is radically different from everything else that I have at the moment.  I don’t know, but it felt special. Perhaps razor smiths will start using more of the famed “paper steel.”

Vr

Matt

[Image: vOpFOM7.jpg][Image: JFdFInQ.jpg][Image: scbWizs.jpg][Image: oAQRbZD.jpg][Image: 7K1PshM.jpg][Image: WqU8bop.jpg]

32 1,804
 10-24-2019, 06:32 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Matt, it’s the most unusual and interesting straight razor this DE guy’s ever seen. I admire how you’ve immersed yourself in straight razor shaving. Living vicariously, baby!

15 3,749
 10-25-2019, 07:38 AM
User Info
(10-24-2019, 06:32 PM)chazt Wrote: Matt, it’s the most unusual and interesting straight razor this DE guy’s ever seen. I admire how you’ve immersed yourself in straight razor shaving. Living vicariously, baby!

Thanks Chaz!

Yes...I am finally happy and content with the equipment I have as far as razors (DE, SE, and Straights), blades, brushes, soaps, creams, honing stones, lapping plate, strops, brushes, aftershaves, etc! It took awhile, but I think I am there. I have enjoyed the journey immensely, and am looking forward to continuing...albeit at a much much more selective and ordered pace!

Unfortunately, I am a bit under the weather at the moment, so I may not shave for the next few days! These kids weaponzie their germs, and use them against me!

As far as straights go...I am not buying anymore until the Dubl Duck sells, and if it doesn’t, I am happy to keep it on my collection!!!

Vr

Matt

32 1,804
 11-03-2019, 06:10 AM
User Info
I have one myself, they are splendid razors I may actually consider picking another one up in. 10/8 [Image: 5287bdbfacdea9adceb186aaddfea4f6.plist][Image: a49cc836bf3fa2103c64cfdfc3b99c27.jpg]
Here’s mine which is Sumingashi with Hitachi Blue core #2 the edges these razors take is astounding. Wonderfully sharp yet extremely comfortable. She currently has a Nakayama edge. Hope you love yours as much as I do, even with the Mammoth tooth n all she just cannot be a show piece in my den and needs to be used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 75
 11-03-2019, 09:07 AM
User Info
Wow! Beautiful! That’s a real nice looking razor! I enjoyed my initial shave immensely, but haven’t revisited it yet.

How is it’s edge retention?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

32 1,804
 11-07-2019, 02:15 PM
User Info
I have been also looking at Alfonzo's razor, and he has Facebook group Osiris Bladeworks WIP, because he makes a weekly summary of what razors he is working on and what processes he is doing, very interesting.
His blades are beautiful by the way and he is a great guy, haven't had the funds to buy a razor from him because he is quite pricey compared to Koraat.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

0 26