10-26-2019, 07:36 AM
User Info
There is a new Artisan razor made in Pennsylvania by Jacob Yates, Model 921-M. It is made from 316 SS and can be ordered in a washed, polished or PVD finish. It also has a Dual comb hybrid baseplate made in brass to add contrast to the SS. I just received mine yesterday and want to get in a few more shaves before I post a full report, but first impression is this is going to be a very smooth ( even with a first use Feather blade ) razor. 
[Image: TV2WBeh.jpg][Image: WW2CGZL.jpg][Image: nxH1Yp8.jpg][Image: THAZWEN.jpg][Image: AIJD3f0.jpg]

30 566
 10-26-2019, 08:24 AM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
I quite enjoy it when artisans and entrepreneurs introduce new products to the wet-shaving market.

Kudos and best wishes for his success.

66 1,913
 10-26-2019, 12:18 PM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
Can you swap out the handle for another one in your collection? He uses 10-24 thread so be careful if it does not go on smoothly.

0 327
 10-26-2019, 01:02 PM
User Info
(10-26-2019, 12:18 PM)Asafiev Wrote: Can you swap out the handle for another one in your collection?  He uses 10-24 thread so be careful if it does not go on smoothly.

Probably uses M5 x .08 or 10/32. Either one will work with most handles.

148 14,315
 10-26-2019, 01:04 PM
User Info
(10-26-2019, 12:18 PM)Asafiev Wrote: Can you swap out the handle for another one in your collection?  He uses 10-24 thread so be careful if it does not go on smoothly.

Probably uses M5x.08 or 10/32. Most handles should work.

148 14,315
 10-26-2019, 01:13 PM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
(10-26-2019, 01:04 PM)slantman Wrote:

I was going to buy one and we were talking on messenger about this.  Here is what he said:

Hey! So the blade gap is .024”, or .61mm. I plan on offering baseplates (and possibly top caps) separate, but I use a different thread than most. My razors are 10-24 thread, where a lot of others are 10-32. The coarser pitch on mine means it takes less rotations to assemble and disassemble.

0 327
 10-26-2019, 01:22 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Looks interesting.  Nice to compare to some of the other new razors.

17 851
 10-26-2019, 01:38 PM
User Info
(10-26-2019, 12:18 PM)Asafiev Wrote: Can you swap out the handle for another one in your collection? He uses 10-24 thread so be careful if it does not go on smoothly.

None of my other handles swap out, but I am actually enjoying this handle

30 566
 10-26-2019, 01:39 PM
User Info
(10-26-2019, 01:13 PM)Asafiev Wrote:
(10-26-2019, 01:04 PM)slantman Wrote:

I was going to buy one and we were talking on messenger about this.  Here is what he said:

Hey! So the blade gap is .024”, or .61mm. I plan on offering baseplates (and possibly top caps) separate, but I use a different thread than most. My razors are 10-24 thread, where a lot of others are 10-32. The coarser pitch on mine means it takes less rotations to assemble and disassemble.

I was not aware of what the blade gap was but after 2 shaves I can say it is significantly more efficient than my WR1 .61.

30 566
 10-26-2019, 01:47 PM
  • SteelyEdge
  • Is it razor sharp? Works for me..
  • Northeast, USA
User Info
(10-26-2019, 07:36 AM)Shavemd Wrote: There is a new Artisan razor made in Pennsylvania by Jacob Yates, Model 921-M. It is made from 316 SS and can be ordered in a washed, polished or PVD finish. It also has a Dual comb hybrid baseplate made in brass to add contrast to the SS. I just received mine yesterday and want to get in a few more shaves before I post a full report, but first impression is this is going to be a very smooth ( even with a first use Feather blade ) razor. 
[Image: TV2WBeh.jpg][Image: WW2CGZL.jpg][Image: nxH1Yp8.jpg][Image: THAZWEN.jpg][Image: AIJD3f0.jpg]

That looks gorgeous amigo! Heart  Congrats and looking forward to your thorough shave review my friend.....  Winky

1 289
 10-27-2019, 08:44 AM
User Info
3 Shaves in with the YPM 921-M

Initial thoughts on the razor. The finish is very shiny but machine marks are still slightly visible, I like the look.
The edge of the blades are covered by the baseplate but the top cap has indentations so it is easy to remove the blade.
The handle thread is is 10-24 so most handles will not swap out. The handle is 4” and a little thinner than many but it felt good and balanced for the 3 shaves and Jake has plans to make different handles.
The additional hybrid baseplate is made of brass, SS is on the way, it has the same geometry of the 921 baseplate but offers a dual SB/ OC option. 
Now on to the shaves. 
Pre shave Hot shower
I used a Feather blade ( a 5 pack is included with the razor), Polsilver and GSB. The feather was just as smooth and offered the greatest efficiency ( number of passes to BBS)
Soap I used was PannaCrema Nuavia, Proraso and M&M.
The first shave using the SS baseplate  was 24 hours after Wolfman WR1 .94 and I was able to do a 2 pass WTG, XTG with touchup under the jaw line using the feather blade for a BBS shave without irritation or nicks.  The shave was very smooth and there was just a touch of blade feel. 12 hours later I was just starting to feel some stubble but looked very clean.
The second shave I used the hybrid baseplate shaving one side of my face with the OC and the other with the SB.  I used a Polsilver blade.  The brass SB side felt exactly like the SS and the OC side had just a touch more blade feel, and I mean just a small difference. Using the Proraso green preshave and soap I did a 3 pass WTG, XTG and ATG shave. The OC side took down a little more beard WTG but overall results were identical. Again this was a mindless smooth shave.
My 3rd shave was with a GSB blade using my M&M soap about 17 hours following my last shave. I went back to the SS baseplate and had a wonderful 2 pass WTG, XTG with touchup under the jawline and upper lip shave. I followed it up with Thayer and Aqua DI Parma Colonia Club for an irritation free smooth shave.
In a time where so many members are reaching for hyper aggressive razors this would not be a razor for them. However, if you are a daily shaver like me, this is a very well built, smooth shave that delivers BBS without irritation and is very maneuverable at a very reasonable price for 316 SS.
I will be keeping this razor and Feather blades will be standard in it. I look forward to seeing where Jake goes from here
[Image: ilMQ4mL.jpg][Image: WpHkFwa.jpg]

30 566
 11-08-2019, 07:01 AM
User Info
(10-27-2019, 08:44 AM)Shavemd Wrote: 3 Shaves in with the YPM 921-M

Initial thoughts on the razor. The finish is very shiny but machine marks are still slightly visible, I like the look.
The edge of the blades are covered by the baseplate but the top cap has indentations so it is easy to remove the blade.
The handle thread is is 10-24 so most handles will not swap out. The handle is 4” and a little thinner than many but it felt good and balanced for the 3 shaves and Jake has plans to make different handles.
The additional hybrid baseplate is made of brass, SS is on the way, it has the same geometry of the 921 baseplate but offers a dual SB/ OC option. 
Now on to the shaves. 
Pre shave Hot shower
I used a Feather blade ( a 5 pack is included with the razor), Polsilver and GSB. The feather was just as smooth and offered the greatest efficiency ( number of passes to BBS)
Soap I used was PannaCrema Nuavia, Proraso and M&M.
The first shave using the SS baseplate  was 24 hours after Wolfman WR1 .94 and I was able to do a 2 pass WTG, XTG with touchup under the jaw line using the feather blade for a BBS shave without irritation or nicks.  The shave was very smooth and there was just a touch of blade feel. 12 hours later I was just starting to feel some stubble but looked very clean.
The second shave I used the hybrid baseplate shaving one side of my face with the OC and the other with the SB.  I used a Polsilver blade.  The brass SB side felt exactly like the SS and the OC side had just a touch more blade feel, and I mean just a small difference. Using the Proraso green preshave and soap I did a 3 pass WTG, XTG and ATG shave. The OC side took down a little more beard WTG but overall results were identical. Again this was a mindless smooth shave.
My 3rd shave was with a GSB blade using my M&M soap about 17 hours following my last shave. I went back to the SS baseplate and had a wonderful 2 pass WTG, XTG with touchup under the jawline and upper lip shave. I followed it up with Thayer and Aqua DI Parma Colonia Club for an irritation free smooth shave.
In a time where so many members are reaching for hyper aggressive razors this would not be a razor for them. However, if you are a daily shaver like me, this is a very well built, smooth shave that delivers BBS without irritation and is very maneuverable at a very reasonable price for 316 SS.
I will be keeping this razor and Feather blades will be standard in it. I look forward to seeing where Jake goes from here
[Image: ilMQ4mL.jpg][Image: WpHkFwa.jpg]
Great review, thanks!  What is the price of the razor?

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

0 9
 11-08-2019, 09:31 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Nice review !

17 851
 11-08-2019, 04:28 PM
User Info
Thanks guys for the positive comments.  I'm not sure if I can state prices as it might be against the rules but if you google Yates precision Manufacturing there are 4 choices of finish and the base model is very well priced IMHO for 316SS and made in the USA

30 566
 11-09-2019, 01:07 AM
User Info
I really wish this is would take other handles. Love the head design, especially brushed, but really, really do not like the handle. Pass for me. Hopefully this does well enough to justify another version, this time with a more standard handle threading.

1 20
 11-09-2019, 07:24 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
The handle is probably a deal killer for me.  I personally don't think it's time consuming to unscrew the handle of all of my safety razors.  I'd rather have the freedom of choosing my own handle, than being stuck with the one that came with it.

69 790
 11-09-2019, 07:27 AM
User Info
(11-09-2019, 07:24 AM)ddk13 Wrote: The handle is probably a deal killer for me.  I personally don't think it's time consuming to unscrew the handle of all of my safety razors.  I'd rather have the freedom of choosing my own handle, than being stuck with the one that came with it.

+1
My handle collection is extensive (for me) and I'd like to keep the number lower than higher.

62 1,560
 11-09-2019, 07:47 AM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
Yeah, I agree. I have many handles and am not looking to add a razor that won't work with anything else in my collection.

0 327