10-26-2019, 01:15 PM
User Info
Hey Fellow Wet Shavers. Had a quick question and wanted to see what the general consensus was in how to clean/disinfect a second hand shaving brush.

I purchased a beautiful Simpson’s Two Band Chubby 2 Silvertip Badger from one of our fellow members and wasn’t sure the best way to clean/disinfect a shaving brush before I start using it.

For all of my second hand DE razors that I purchased through the marketplace I have always used Barbicide for the recommended 10 minutes and no longer to disinfect all my razors. Can I do the same with my Brush or is Barbicide not a good option?

This is a beautiful brush kept in great condition from our fellow member and it runs a bit expensive so I just want to make sure I don’t damage the brush in anyway trying to clean/disinfect it in an improper way.

So I guess my question is A) is it ok to use Barbicide to clean/disinfect a brush and B) what are your recommendations and how do you go by cleaning/disinfecting your brush purchased from the marketplace.

Appreciate all the advise coming my way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 5
 10-26-2019, 01:27 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN!  When you have a chance, please introduce yourself in the Introductions section, so our members get a chance to know you.

My suggestion is two steps:

1.  Soak it in a solution of 90% water and 10% vinegar for ten minutes.  Agitate the brush a few times when it's in the solution.

2.  Thoroughly wash it with Dawn dish soap, then rinse it very well.

60 9,642
 10-26-2019, 01:37 PM
User Info
Hey Legal Razor I’ll definitely do an introduction as I am a new member to TSN.

Thanks for the great advise. I’ll definitely take that into consideration and have heard about the same method you had mentioned.

It’s greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 5
 10-27-2019, 05:50 AM
User Info
Welcome to TSN , I like to use MAC’s brush cleaner you can pick up at Macy’s. It does a wonderful job , cleaning and disinfecting I believe to a certain degree. I usually use this for two rounds with 3 days dry time in between. Afterward I like to use a hair mask they are called from Trader Joe’s , this keeps the hair in top condition and restores the knot a good bit. Some folks would not think to use these items ever and consider damaging perhaps but I have owned close to 200 shaving brushes throughout the years and have never had any issue using above routine.

84 1,757
 10-28-2019, 03:44 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Another vote for MAC brush cleaner. A tad expensive, but worth it.

9 1,115