11-02-2019, 01:58 PM
User Info
Gents,

I have really been reading up on the natural stone hones, and I have 5 different ones on their way:  

- A purple welsh from a chap named AJ on eBay.  I purchased this one because the vendor claimed an approximate 15k grit equivalent.  Plus it looks quite nice, and comes with a slurry stone.  Finally, the seller has lots of great feedback!  It is about 8x3x1.

[Image: oK4BgBY.jpg][Image: C9XTPsw.jpg][Image: YiFsaKk.jpg]

- A Zulu Grey Silkvein

- A Charnley Forest stone that is 9.5x2x1, which weighs 1.2 Kg.  I have read good things about these, I love the natural coloration, and it appears to be an oldie.  I figure that maybe it’s a good stone since someone took the time to build a wooden box for it long ago!

[Image: OCOPati.jpg]

[Image: zZl1d8b.jpg][Image: feb0Eqr.jpg][Image: RHQo7fM.jpg]

32 1,816
 11-02-2019, 02:03 PM
User Info
These last two come from recently discovered veins, and are pretty untested....all I know are the dimensions, and that the black one is a lower grit equivalent...so we will see!

[Image: jGA7CRW.jpg][Image: Y6br2iT.jpg][Image: HM58pt5.jpg]

I am really looking forward to learning the art of honing, and figuring all of these natural stones out...figuring out the progression, and just really enjoying the zen of it all.

It seems that it’s something that would be very rewarding...shaving with the edge that you put on your razor!

If anyone has any thoughts good or bad on the purple welsh and/or the charnley forest stones, please share!

Vr

Matt

32 1,816
 11-12-2019, 05:12 PM
User Info
My goodness gracious!  I am looking forward to seeing what I can do with the Charnley Forest stone!

This bugger is HARD, and took me 15 very solid minutes of lapping with the Nano NL-5 diamond plate!  Here are some before, during, and after the lapping.  I just wanted to see how it felt and looked after cleaning it with a scrub brush and liquid dish soap, and then lapping flat.  I am buying some SiC powders this week to really polish it up, and round off the edges!  

Initial impression...much harder to lap than my Zulu Grey and Purple Welsh...I think it will likely be a very nice finisher once I figure honing out!

Vr

Matt

[Image: uLbQDY6.jpg][Image: P8HiY8S.jpg][Image: EiviiSO.jpg]

32 1,816
 11-12-2019, 05:14 PM
User Info
 11-12-2019, 05:17 PM
User Info
 Today, 05:44 AM
User Info
Gents,

This morning I bought a Chosera 1000, with the rub stone off of amazon for less than 80 shipped.  

I also purchased a 4x2x1 Arkansas Translucent off of ebay.  I figure that once I figure this whole thing out it would be good to have smaller “go stone” for traveling or the fabled bug out bag.

At any rate, here are the vendor pics, and I will post some better pictures once it arrives.  

I still need to purchase a Shapton 4k, 6k, and 8k over the next two months, and then I figure I will be ready to start really figuring honing out with the Chosera + a natural progression, a Chosera + a Shapton progression and finished with a natural stone, and then perhaps mixing and matching.

Vr

Matt 

[Image: NCK5U0P.jpg][Image: 10TpWFR.jpg][Image: PsZJpPr.jpg]

32 1,816
 9 hours ago
User Info
The Dans Arkansas Black Arrived in the mail today!  I purchased a 6x2x.5, and I figure that will be a good start to see if I like the edge, before I consider a larger 8x3x1 from Dans.  The big one is pretty expensive, so I though I would test drive the smaller hone.

It looked to be in pretty good shape, but I still broke out the Nano NL-5 to lap some grid marks off to ensure flatness.

I had heard that these blacks are terrible to lap, but figured I would give it a try anyhow since I just ordered some SiC powder this morning.  I saw a video of a chap on YouTube lapping a hard Arkansas (translucent I think), and it took him just over 5 min.  At any rate, I figured that I would give it a shot.

Since I am lapping all these hones flat, I figure to polish/burnishes the face of the finishers I would get 400, 600, and 1000 grit powders, and see how that works.  I suspect no need for lower grits since I am starting from flat.

At any rate, this stone was pretty easy to lap...it took 3 minutes and 19 seconds to get all of the pencil marks off.  An interesting thing...although the pencil marks were all lapped off there was practically no slurry on the face of this hone.

I am having fun getting ready to figure it all out!

Vr

Matt

[Image: uDDvVoq.jpg]

[Image: AqViwMA.jpg]

32 1,816
 6 hours ago
User Info
Matt, you have a lot trial and error ahead, but it will be fun.  You may want to pick a quality, but moderately priced razor, and use it exclusively while experimenting and learning honing.

60 9,644
 5 hours ago
User Info
(6 hours ago)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Matt, you have a lot trial and error ahead, but it will be fun.  You may want to pick a quality, but moderately priced razor, and use it exclusively while experimenting and learning honing.

Yes...that is an excellent idea Ricardo, and you are right...I think that one razor will be best.  I actually have it picked out already!

The trial and error will be fun...lots of using the stuff, watching you tube, and reading online!

Vr

Matt

32 1,816