11-02-2019, 01:58 PM
User Info
Gents,

I have really been reading up on the natural stone hones, and I have 5 different ones on their way:  

- A purple welsh from a chap named AJ on eBay.  I purchased this one because the vendor claimed an approximate 15k grit equivalent.  Plus it looks quite nice, and comes with a slurry stone.  Finally, the seller has lots of great feedback!  It is about 8x3x1.

[Image: oK4BgBY.jpg][Image: C9XTPsw.jpg][Image: YiFsaKk.jpg]

- A Zulu Grey Silkvein

- A Charnley Forest stone that is 9.5x2x1, which weighs 1.2 Kg.  I have read good things about these, I love the natural coloration, and it appears to be an oldie.  I figure that maybe it’s a good stone since someone took the time to build a wooden box for it long ago!

[Image: OCOPati.jpg]

[Image: zZl1d8b.jpg][Image: feb0Eqr.jpg][Image: RHQo7fM.jpg]

35 2,046
 11-02-2019, 02:03 PM
User Info
These last two come from recently discovered veins, and are pretty untested....all I know are the dimensions, and that the black one is a lower grit equivalent...so we will see!

[Image: jGA7CRW.jpg][Image: Y6br2iT.jpg][Image: HM58pt5.jpg]

I am really looking forward to learning the art of honing, and figuring all of these natural stones out...figuring out the progression, and just really enjoying the zen of it all.

It seems that it’s something that would be very rewarding...shaving with the edge that you put on your razor!

If anyone has any thoughts good or bad on the purple welsh and/or the charnley forest stones, please share!

Vr

Matt

35 2,046
 11-12-2019, 05:12 PM
User Info
My goodness gracious!  I am looking forward to seeing what I can do with the Charnley Forest stone!

This bugger is HARD, and took me 15 very solid minutes of lapping with the Nano NL-5 diamond plate!  Here are some before, during, and after the lapping.  I just wanted to see how it felt and looked after cleaning it with a scrub brush and liquid dish soap, and then lapping flat.  I am buying some SiC powders this week to really polish it up, and round off the edges!  

Initial impression...much harder to lap than my Zulu Grey and Purple Welsh...I think it will likely be a very nice finisher once I figure honing out!

Vr

Matt

[Image: uLbQDY6.jpg][Image: P8HiY8S.jpg][Image: EiviiSO.jpg]

35 2,046
 11-12-2019, 05:14 PM
User Info
 11-12-2019, 05:17 PM
User Info
 11-14-2019, 05:44 AM
User Info
Gents,

This morning I bought a Chosera 1000, with the rub stone off of amazon for less than 80 shipped.  

I also purchased a 4x2x1 Arkansas Translucent off of ebay.  I figure that once I figure this whole thing out it would be good to have smaller “go stone” for traveling or the fabled bug out bag.

At any rate, here are the vendor pics, and I will post some better pictures once it arrives.  

I still need to purchase a Shapton 4k, 6k, and 8k over the next two months, and then I figure I will be ready to start really figuring honing out with the Chosera + a natural progression, a Chosera + a Shapton progression and finished with a natural stone, and then perhaps mixing and matching.

Vr

Matt 

[Image: NCK5U0P.jpg][Image: 10TpWFR.jpg][Image: PsZJpPr.jpg]

35 2,046
 11-14-2019, 09:34 AM
User Info
The Dans Arkansas Black Arrived in the mail today!  I purchased a 6x2x.5, and I figure that will be a good start to see if I like the edge, before I consider a larger 8x3x1 from Dans.  The big one is pretty expensive, so I though I would test drive the smaller hone.

It looked to be in pretty good shape, but I still broke out the Nano NL-5 to lap some grid marks off to ensure flatness.

I had heard that these blacks are terrible to lap, but figured I would give it a try anyhow since I just ordered some SiC powder this morning.  I saw a video of a chap on YouTube lapping a hard Arkansas (translucent I think), and it took him just over 5 min.  At any rate, I figured that I would give it a shot.

Since I am lapping all these hones flat, I figure to polish/burnishes the face of the finishers I would get 400, 600, and 1000 grit powders, and see how that works.  I suspect no need for lower grits since I am starting from flat.

At any rate, this stone was pretty easy to lap...it took 3 minutes and 19 seconds to get all of the pencil marks off.  An interesting thing...although the pencil marks were all lapped off there was practically no slurry on the face of this hone.

I am having fun getting ready to figure it all out!

Vr

Matt

[Image: uDDvVoq.jpg]

[Image: AqViwMA.jpg]

35 2,046
 11-14-2019, 01:25 PM
User Info
Matt, you have a lot trial and error ahead, but it will be fun.  You may want to pick a quality, but moderately priced razor, and use it exclusively while experimenting and learning honing.

60 9,820
 11-14-2019, 01:55 PM
User Info
(11-14-2019, 01:25 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Matt, you have a lot trial and error ahead, but it will be fun.  You may want to pick a quality, but moderately priced razor, and use it exclusively while experimenting and learning honing.

Yes...that is an excellent idea Ricardo, and you are right...I think that one razor will be best.  I actually have it picked out already!

The trial and error will be fun...lots of using the stuff, watching you tube, and reading online!

Vr

Matt

35 2,046
 11-15-2019, 02:26 PM
User Info
Gents,

The Chosera 1000 arrived, it has been flattened, and I might just try to set a bevel tonight!  We’ll see how it goes!

Vr

Matt

[Image: Fao1kvy.jpg][Image: tT7xScR.jpg][Image: P2GP5bS.jpg][Image: CGj75ap.jpg][Image: cJuW2gg.jpg]

35 2,046
 11-15-2019, 06:46 PM
User Info
Gents,

Well, setting the bevel...what a zen activity! I loved it, and found it to be extremely rewarding...especially since I used a challenging razor out of the gate!

I tried a little bit of everything that I had read and seen online...but many of the techniques seemed like razor abuse! Ultimately, I followed Keith’s, of Tomo Nagura on etsy, video and mainly focused on perfecting the x-strokes until it was done. This gent recommends checking the bevel by lightly attempting to run the edge along the thumbnail if it digs in at every millimeter along the edge it’s set. I didn’t have a clue what he was talking about, so I ran the edge of the razor along my nail to see where it was at...it glided smoothly along the surface...made a mental note!

The razor was a badly beaten and abused Heljestrand MK 32, that isn’t much more than a 5/8s these days. I couldn’t shave a single hair with the razor off of my arm...and that was before I killed the edge on a drinking glass.

As I started the process, I noticed that the toe and the heel weren’t hitting the stone as they should, and I had to press down on them one at a time in order to give them the play they deserved. I just kept at it for the better part of an hour, and finally I noticed that the water was moving on the Chosera 1000 hone as it should. At the same time I noticed the feedback seemed perfectly smooth, and felt as I imagined it should for this sort of activity.

I decided to try the thumbnail bevel test...Yeahp...it dug in at every single millimeter along the edge. The razor was finally pushing water along the hone evenly, and it felt right. So I figure that I set this thing. I also tried to shave a little patch of hair off of my arm...plucked hairs right off! I then looked at it under the loupe as a final little check, and the edge looks nice and even with a uniform scratch pattern.

I tried to take some pictures, but they don’t look as nice as the bevel near the edge. It’s with my old iPhone.

At any rate, I will have to wait for the next steps until I get some interim hones before trying one of these finishers I have acquired.

Vr

Matt

35 2,046
 11-15-2019, 06:48 PM
User Info
 11-15-2019, 06:53 PM
User Info
Quick question...does stropping between steps in the honing progression help this process, hurt this process, or not affect this process?

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

35 2,046
 11-15-2019, 07:51 PM
User Info
Matt, if your razor passed the thumbnail and forearm hair tests, you have successfully set your first bevel.  Some guys also use the "tomato" or "cherry tomato" test, which you can find with an online search.

Well done!

60 9,820
 11-15-2019, 07:58 PM
User Info
Thanks Ricardo! Yes...I saw Alfredo’s video on the cherry tomatoe test but I didn’t have one! I will plan better for my next effort.

Have a great weekend!

Vr

Matt

35 2,046
 11-16-2019, 12:11 AM
User Info
(11-15-2019, 07:58 PM)Ols67 Wrote: Thanks Ricardo!  Yes...I saw Alfredo’s video on the cherry tomatoe test but I didn’t have one!  I will plan better for my next effort.

Have a great weekend!

Vr

Matt

A regular tomato works equally well.  Biggrin

60 9,820
 11-17-2019, 07:02 AM
User Info
The Pike 4x2x1 Translucent arrived yesterday, and I lapped it this morning with the Nano NL-5.  It took me five minutes and 42 seconds.  It produced practically zero slurry, in line with the Arkansas Black...perhaps a little less even!

SiC powder in 400, 600, and 1000 grits arrives tomorrow or Tuesday so I can really dress up the finishing hones.

Vr

Matt

[Image: ItJnqos.jpg][Image: wqBgsUP.jpg][Image: PzvCK8y.jpg][Image: RO0AVQy.jpg][Image: KOzjQAp.jpg][Image: Itq7ATJ.jpg]

35 2,046
 11-17-2019, 08:25 AM
User Info
 11-28-2019, 10:45 AM
User Info
Well...figured I would like to try honing the 7/8 Wacker that arrived yesterday!  

I really liked the edge that I was able to put on the Brian Brown 6/8 on this last attempt which I tested this morning...however, I like the grind, face feel, feedback, and overall shave of these big Wacker razors vs my 6/8 Brian Brown razors.  I figured that I would give it a go, and use this one on my next shave!

Progression was Chosera 1k, Shapton Glass 4k, Naniwa White 8k, Zulu Grey with a heavy slurry that I diluted down to water along the way...once I reached that point, I used water and dish soap for the final 30-40 laps.

We will see how she shaves in a few days.

Vr

Matt

[Image: MqYHuCQ.jpg]

35 2,046
 12-02-2019, 07:18 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
It’s good to see you getting into honing Matt, if you want to try a jnat sometime shoot me a PM.

Good luck and good honing!

8 782