11-02-2019, 02:07 PM
User Info
Specifically chrome plated, sintered stainless steel.

I've been reading up a bit on the subject and nearly all safety razor cleaning guides I've read would either recommend dish detergent/soap and a toothbrush or the use of isopropyl (or rubbing) alcohol. I was curious what you fellas have been doing over the years and what would you recommend. 

Also would brushing it ultimately lead to substantial scratches and/or somehow the chrome plating diminishing? I know close to nothing about how these things work.

0 9
 11-02-2019, 03:38 PM
User Info
A soft, child's toothbrush, with dish detergent.

By the way, welcome to TSN!

60 9,644
 11-02-2019, 07:19 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Yes. Fill a container with HOT soapy water and let your razor soak for 15-20 minutes. Brush gently with that soft toothbrush, rinse. Repeat as necessary. Then a 15 minute bath in rubbing alcohol, dry thoroughly and buff with a clean, soft eyeglass cloth and you should be good to go.

15 3,750
 11-02-2019, 07:21 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Caveat, avoid vigorous brushing a highly polished SS razor.

15 3,750
 11-03-2019, 04:27 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
Basically what I do is shave, rinse, wipe with a soft cotton cloth, then put away. My razors really seem to like that.

0 352
 11-04-2019, 05:34 AM
User Info
Alright, thanks people. I'll look into getting both a softer toothbrush as well as look around for some sort of soft fabric. Holding off with the sterilizing/disinfecting alcohol for now but might (probably) pick some up later down the line.

EDIT: Also:

(11-02-2019, 03:38 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: By the way, welcome to TSN!

Thanks it's good to be here! I should probably make a thread in Introductions but just haven't gotten around to it.

0 9
 11-04-2019, 10:54 AM
User Info
You shouldn’t need a brush on mirror polished surfaces, your fingertips and some dish soap should be sufficient. Obviously use care not to drop the piece you are cleaning. The brush just helps get into books and crannies like between the teeth of an open comb.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I’ve started using a boar tooth brush to clean my razors. I bought it to use for my teeth but it’s too soft for my liking, so I figured it would be good for cleaning my razors. Seems to be working just fine.

Edit: I clean my razors whenever I change a blade. I find that rinsing well and opening the top cap so the blade is loose is fine between cleanings. A quick swish in isopropyl alcohol will help water to evaporate quicker to remove moisture from the blade which is ultimately what will cause tea stains (the blade rusting).

13 641
 11-04-2019, 11:46 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
5 minute dip in Barbicide, then dry with a soft towel.

48 2,136