11-10-2019, 12:59 AM
User Info
I always face lathered and found this really good. From time to time, I tried lathering in a bowl , a smooth stone one.  It took a long time to lather.
I decided to buy a Fine Accoutrements bowl, ridged sides and bottom. Now I couldn't do without it! My chubby3 brush works wonderfully well! I load using the tips of the brush,  probably less than I did before and lightly lather around the ridges. Simpson suggest creating lather using painting strokes and this works highly successful. These ridges really do make a huge difference I think. Loads of lather is created, although much of it is lurking in the brush!  
I finish painting the lather on my face, and lather continues to improve.

Just my thoughts to those who may be hesitating about the need for a bowl.

0 191
 11-10-2019, 05:03 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I occasionally bowl lather as well, I also like using a scuttle when it gets cold in the winter but I am primarily a face latherer.  I have several bowls with ridges and I find that they work very well for creating lather.  Have you seen the lather bowls from symmetricalpottery on etsy?  They look great and they get great reviews.

12 2,167
 11-12-2019, 07:30 PM
User Info
(11-10-2019, 05:03 AM)Sully Wrote: I occasionally bowl lather as well, I also like using a scuttle when it gets cold in the winter but I am primarily a face latherer.  I have several bowls with ridges and I find that they work very well for creating lather.  Have you seen the lather bowls from symmetricalpottery on etsy?  They look great and they get great reviews.

I've had two bowls made by them. Beautifully done. Rides are just the right size. I find the one where you can put the puck in the bottom less useful as most pucks don't fit, but I suppose they could be easily melted. They were great about making some custom adjustments for my bowls at no extra charge. I was very pleased with how they turned out.

15 158
 Yesterday, 09:59 PM
User Info
I’m a die hard face lather, but I also own the same lather bowl from Fine Accoutrements and I admit I consider bowl lathering my stash of shaving creams once in a while.

Can’t see the benefits of bowl lathering a hard shaving soap though.
Face lathering is too darn nice.

But I do think I’ll dust the FA bowl off for this upcoming winter and use it once in a while for the 35-40 shaving creams still remaining in my collection.

Bowl lathering just seems to suit creams better, since you can add a lump of cream to your brush and get a better lather in the bowl instead of having to work the cream into your face in a less symmetrical way than you can with a hard soap. A hard soap always give me that more even symmetrical thin coating on my face that I can’t seem to get, when using especially a softer cream.

Used to love creams 5-7 years ago, now I moved over to entirely preferring pretty hard to very hard shaving soaps altogether.

But thanks for the reminder. My FA shaving bowl needs to be used again. It’s been years now....

25 6,657