11-17-2019, 06:41 PM
User Info
Well, I didn't manage to get an image of it before it was carved, but we had a roast turkey this evening.  Yes, earlier than Thanksgiving, but it was on sale at the supermarket for 49 cents/lb., and we were afraid they all would be gone if we waited until the holiday.  So tonight we had the drumsticks, with some stuffing, mashed orange juice sweet potatoes with walnuts, and rolls.  Some of the white meat is going into lunch sandwiches over the next couple days.  The rest of the turkey will go in the freezer until Thanksgiving Day.

245 14,356
 11-17-2019, 06:53 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
We ended up ordering a deep fried turkey plus fixings from our local Cajun restaurant. It is one less thing to worry about this year.

53 21,563
 11-18-2019, 03:59 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Last year I decided to break the turkey down and smoke everything separately on my BGE.  It was a huge success.  I'll be doing the same thing this year.

12 2,382
 11-18-2019, 04:42 AM
User Info
Ah, turkey.  It's what brings the kids home to visit their old man.  We usually offer two turkeys; one smoked and one traditional.  I brine both birds in different solutions depending on my mood.  Brining for at least 24 hrs but generally 48.  Then in the wee hours of the morning the smoked bird hits the smoker to be ready for the 12:30 dinner bell.  (The oven roasted goes in several hours later ).  A lot of the kids and grands will spend the night with us but the rest start showing up around nine and everyone pitches in. Glorious. Awesome.  Best holiday of the year.  This year I'll have 4 birds in the smoker.  One of my sons wants to take one to his in-laws (who think turkey is too dry).  One will go in my daughters freezer, and another is for my neighbors who learned I'll put stuff in the smoker for them, tend it, and deliver, all for no cost, because I love em.  Got a week-long trip to the Connecticut tomorrow but then the game is on!

6 551
 11-19-2019, 12:53 PM
User Info
This is going to be a great thread! Thanks John!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 11-28-2019, 03:12 PM
User Info
...and I forgot the oyster dressing for today.  Oh well.

245 14,356