11-20-2019, 09:23 PM
User Info
Everyone who have a modicum of interest in the history of wetshaving knows the Gillette Khaki Set from the Great War - there is even a very good modern version being offered by Spearhead Shaving Company - but how many today knows of the  GEM Khaki Service Outfit? I didn't until I started perusing vintage razor advertisements.
[Image: 8cc5bbae52979df6d56d924f01349fd7.jpg]
While the blades a doughboy got in the Gillette Khaki Set were for all intents and purposes disposable, the GEM Khaki Service Outfit came with a separate handle for stropping the seven blades it came with. So while the Gillette offered vendor lock-in and future costs, the GEM could arguable be seen as a one time investment - if you had a strop, that is.

Quote:Ask for the GEM at your dealer, or the Post Exchange, Camp Canteens, or Quarter-master's Depot.

...however I fear that if you went to a US PX today they would be out of stock.
I still want one though

3 7,842
 11-21-2019, 03:38 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Very interesting. I’d read that GEM supplied the U. S. military, this ad is obvious confirmation.

Hans, I’m pretty sure that a compendium of the ads, insights, patents, etc. you’ve been compiling would be a huge hit amongst the community. This is where you may want to focus your editing energies. Seriously...

20 5,857
 11-21-2019, 04:01 AM
User Info
These things ends up on my blog as well Charlie... I might assemble a compendium at some point Wink

3 7,842
 11-21-2019, 04:22 AM
  • eengler
  • Emeritus
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Thats a great find Hans. Would be very fun to see an intact set.

68 5,620
 09-04-2021, 02:49 AM
User Info
I've tried to find any Gillette Khaki Set but came up with nothing. I didn't expect it to be so rare. My grandpa presented me the Hungarian vintage razor from WW2. Since then, using other razors seems like level-down to me Smile That GEM Khaki Service Outfit will definitely take place in my collection of outfit ideas. Even though it would be a mix of American service outfit and east-European vintage razor. By the way, in East Europe, things from WW2 are far cheaper than in the US. I've heard their veterans are so poor, they are forced to sell the memory valuables for a living.

0 1
 09-04-2021, 05:45 AM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(09-04-2021, 02:49 AM)simonhard Wrote: I've tried to find any Gillette Khaki Set but came up with nothing. I didn't expect it to be so rare.

Welcome to TSN Smile When you have a moment, post a hello in the introductions section for a proper greeting from the community.

Re: the khaki set, good things come to those who wait. Good luck!

20 5,857
 09-04-2021, 05:48 AM
  • Bax
User Info
If you're looking for WegianWarrior's blog, don't look here:
wiganwarriors.com/blog/
Apparently they're some kind of English rugby league in the areas of Wigan, Cumbria, The Midlands and London.
They look pretty scruffy and don't appear to care much about shaving.

Instead, try this one:
https://wegianwetshaving.com/

Good stuff!
   :-)
- Bax

0 412
 09-08-2021, 12:42 PM
User Info
I posted a bunch of those ads at Rat~n~Sicle four or five years ago (maybe six?) there may have been a thread about them, I don't remember.

0 299
 09-08-2021, 12:48 PM
User Info
Don't forget the blades.

[Image: SEVGQbi.jpg]

[Image: t2a3sEs.jpg]

0 299