11-20-2019, 09:23 PM
User Info
Everyone who have a modicum of interest in the history of wetshaving knows the Gillette Khaki Set from the Great War - there is even a very good modern version being offered by Spearhead Shaving Company - but how many today knows of the  GEM Khaki Service Outfit? I didn't until I started perusing vintage razor advertisements.
[Image: 8cc5bbae52979df6d56d924f01349fd7.jpg]
While the blades a doughboy got in the Gillette Khaki Set were for all intents and purposes disposable, the GEM Khaki Service Outfit came with a separate handle for stropping the seven blades it came with. So while the Gillette offered vendor lock-in and future costs, the GEM could arguable be seen as a one time investment - if you had a strop, that is.

Quote:Ask for the GEM at your dealer, or the Post Exchange, Camp Canteens, or Quarter-master's Depot.

...however I fear that if you went to a US PX today they would be out of stock.
I still want one though

3 6,795
 11-21-2019, 03:38 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Very interesting. I’d read that GEM supplied the U. S. military, this ad is obvious confirmation.

Hans, I’m pretty sure that a compendium of the ads, insights, patents, etc. you’ve been compiling would be a huge hit amongst the community. This is where you may want to focus your editing energies. Seriously...

15 3,883
 11-21-2019, 04:01 AM
User Info
These things ends up on my blog as well Charlie... I might assemble a compendium at some point Wink

3 6,795
 11-21-2019, 04:22 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Thats a great find Hans. Would be very fun to see an intact set.

66 5,563