11-22-2019, 09:03 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
So, do you ever change your mind about a product?

I have. I purchased Sebum Purple shaving soap and serum. I thought the description of mint julep and lavender sounded perfect. It arrived, and performed beautifully. But, I didn't care for the scent too much. I also bought the latte, and liked it the best. So, I put the Purple aside, and hardly used it at all.

Well, guess what? I love the scent now. I like it better than most of my other products.

Did it change in a few months? I doubt it. Did I change in a few months? My wife claims that she has not been able to get me to change in decades, so it's unlikely.

Weird.

Do you ever experience this?

1 657
 11-22-2019, 09:14 AM
User Info
It does happen a lot with me specially when it comes to scents. May be our brain sometimes react to certain notes slowly and develop a liking.

Opposite also is true. You like a certain fragrance initially and after sometime you don't like it so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 1,338
 11-22-2019, 10:29 AM
User Info
Never! No, wait.  Sometimes.  No, that's not right.  I change my mind all the time.  Nah, that's not right either.  Never.  When I find something that works, I stick with it.  But then I realize that maybe there's something else that's better and I find it and get it.  Then that one is better.  Ok.  I guess I do change my mind.   Huh

2 390
 11-22-2019, 11:46 AM
User Info
For me it's not the scent but the performance. When I first tried Cella soap or croap, I didn't like it, a few weeks later I gave it another try and thought it was a fantastic soap, the almond scent is not bad either. I recently started on my third kilo, odd lol.

0 17
 11-22-2019, 12:35 PM
User Info
It happened to me, too.
I like a scent and dislike it later and vice versa.

0 178
 11-22-2019, 02:03 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I change my mind frequently when it comes to fragrances. Sometimes a new scent that I've never smelled before seems somewhat noxious or unpleasant. It seems to take me awhile to develop a tolerance to what seemed initially offensive, and then I begin to appreciate the complexities of the scent. However, sometimes when I'm wearing them, I wonder if others who are smelling them for the first time will find them somewhat unpleasant as I did the first time around.

39 6,292
 11-22-2019, 04:08 PM
User Info
There are some theories that environmental temperature can effect olfactory acclimatization: when it’s hot, you’re less sensitive to new scents because there are more particles in the air.

It could also be olfactory fatigue, which is triggered when you smell too many things and your brain reduces its sensitivity temporarily.

Finally, and probably the strongest explanation, is that of repeated exposure. This is a fairly well know phenomenon whereby as exposure to something increases, so does the probability of a persons affectation. It’s been demonstrated in music, food, scent, movie/book characters, etc.

36 2,120
 11-22-2019, 07:19 PM
  • shadowman12
  • Default User Title
  • Utrecht the Netherlands
User Info
What changes is my list of top products as I'm still discovering new things almost every month

0 88
 11-24-2019, 08:18 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I have found that the scent of shaving soap seems to change depending on what other scents are around.

0 462
 11-25-2019, 01:35 AM
User Info
I found my most significant flip flop came with Saponificio Varesino, Upon first sniff and usage I adored nearly all of their scents but after a while I became tired of them, they are very cloying, sickly and synthetic... Like a department store perfume counter. When I first started with traditional shaving I enjoyed some of the oldies, what's known in the US as "drug store scents" such as Tabac, Floid, Pinaud etc but cannot stand them now.

Performance wise, when I relocated from a soft water area to a hard water area some of my favourite products became near unusable so that changed my mind about them  Biggrin

4 316
 11-25-2019, 01:53 PM
User Info
I liked the performance of the sebum sangria soap better than the purple. Makes me think I should use the purple next!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 11-30-2019, 09:19 AM
  • Nero
User Info
(11-25-2019, 01:35 AM)Rohleder Wrote: I found my most significant flip flop came with Saponificio Varesino, Upon first sniff and usage I adored nearly all of their scents but after a while I became tired of them, they are very cloying, sickly and synthetic... Like a department store perfume counter. When I first started with traditional shaving I enjoyed some of the oldies, what's known in the US as "drug store scents" such as Tabac, Floid, Pinaud etc but cannot stand them now.

I agree with all this.
(Except I still like the scent of the Pinaud Clubman POWDER for some reason (well actually, it reminds of a barbershop I went to as a kid)...though not the AS.)

98 4,067
 11-30-2019, 05:39 PM
User Info
My tastes in scents have changed over the years for sure.

I think my nose has become a little more refined.

I now realize that while I still like Pinaud Clubman. It was more due to nostalgia of the days of my youth. When barbershops used it. 

Pinaud VIRB was a great scent when I first tried it. But now it's just a bit to clovey. For me now. Will look for a different bay rum when it's gone.

8 173
 11-30-2019, 06:54 PM
User Info
“Our heads are round so that thoughts can change direction.”
Francis Picabia

0 178
 12-01-2019, 05:13 AM
User Info
(11-22-2019, 09:03 AM)David Wrote: So, do you ever change your mind about a product?  

I have.  I purchased Sebum Purple shaving soap and serum.  I thought the description of mint julep and lavender sounded perfect.  It arrived, and performed beautifully.  But, I didn't care for the scent too much.  I also bought the latte, and liked it the best.  So, I put the Purple aside, and hardly used it at all.

Well, guess what?  I love the scent now.  I like it better than most of my other products.

Did it change in a few months?  I doubt it.  Did I change in a few months?  My wife claims that she has not been able to get me to change in decades, so it's unlikely.

Weird.

Do you ever experience this?

So this means we're brothers in law?

64 1,863
 12-01-2019, 10:00 AM
  • Beau
  • New York
User Info
With me it sometimes is a case of mistaken expectations. For example, when I first tried Barrister and Mann's Le Grand Chypre I was somewhat put off by its scent--probably because I was expecting that it would be similar to one of my favorites, Cold River Soap Works Le Chypre Sombre. It's not, but once I got over that silly notion I quickly discovered how much I did like Le Grand Chypre's scent on its own merits.

0 846