11-27-2019, 02:01 PM
User Info
Gents,

Hello!  I have been wanting a larger sized frameback for some time, and I finally was able to purchase one off of eBay.  These pictures came off of the listing.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this razor maker, or razor?

This is a 7/8 frameback razor with FF Paris on one side of the tang, and the number 300 on the other of the tang.  The scales have been replaced with natural horn that had the bark left on, it has a horn and sterling silver spacer, and sterling silver pins.

Between this and the Wackers that arrived today I am ecstatic.

Vr

Matt

[Image: NFmHzWV.jpg][Image: kvGi2TT.jpg][Image: EWSOcEv.jpg][Image: WQhMhBw.jpg][Image: Ei7q28y.jpg][Image: oU8qyQm.jpg][Image: IHvGRKZ.jpg]

34 1,923
 11-27-2019, 03:36 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
That's a beauty. Unfortunately I can not help with any information about the razor.

103 2,044
 11-27-2019, 03:41 PM
User Info
(11-27-2019, 03:36 PM)Gabe Wrote: That's a beauty. Unfortunately I can not help with any information about the razor.

Thanks Gabe! No worries! I found a post on BB mentioning one...owner in the UK...unfortunately no real information about it was presented in the thread.

I hope info isn’t lost to time!

I also asked the seller to see if he had any.

Vr

Matt

34 1,923
 11-27-2019, 04:40 PM
User Info
Ok...I think that the company is Le Hyalin, and some chap named P. Fritiss had something to do with it. Perhaps the owner or craftsman.

The number 300 might denote a series/model number.

There does not seem to be too many of these floating around.

That’s all I could find.

Vr

Matt

34 1,923
 12-02-2019, 02:12 PM
User Info
Gents,

This razor arrived today, and it’s a unique looker!  If it shaves half as well as it looks, it will become a favorite!

Vr

Matt

[Image: TGXtrVp.jpg][Image: 7jsveW8.jpg][Image: xixTFYK.jpg][Image: 251M3LG.jpg][Image: B9RQrXL.jpg]

34 1,923
 12-13-2019, 03:05 PM
User Info
Well gents!  The mystery has been about as close to being solved as I think we are going to get!  This is indeed a “LE HYALIN” razor which you can only faintly see on the blade face and only in the right light...it also has the word “DEPOSE” underneath the company logo.  It is circa 1936, and the 300 does stand for the model number of this razor.  A gentlemen on another forum posted the below picture which was from a 1936 catalogue:
[Image: fPPUArO.jpg]

Now here is where it gets pretty interesting to me...underneath the razor on the upper right it says, “Suedois a baguette.”  The French associates the frameback top with a baguette since I guess they have the same shape, somewhat.  “Suedois” means Swedish in French.

So, I believe that what I have here is a 7/8 Swedish Steel frameback from the mid-1930s.  I am really excited about this for two reasons...this razor is a rare bird indeed, and a frameback that is this size and made of the legendary Swedish steel...well that is exciting to me.

The seller did tell me it was one of his best shavers, and he was very sad to have to part with it.  I still haven’t used it...been using my Wackers exclusively the last few weeks.

Vr

Matt

34 1,923
 12-13-2019, 03:54 PM
User Info
Matt, you did some good historical research on this razor.  What you learned makes owning it more rewarding.

60 9,721
 12-13-2019, 04:08 PM
User Info
(12-13-2019, 03:54 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Matt, you did some good historical research on this razor.  What you learned makes owning it more rewarding.

Ricardo,

It certainly does, and I was fortunate to have lots of help in my research!

Vr

Matt

34 1,923