09-23-2012, 06:08 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
So I purchased a puck of AOS Lavender the other day while out shopping with my daughter- wasn't paying attention to how much it was until I got home and looked at my receipt- $30!!
I am picking up that the AOS soaps are made by Valobra, so where do folks get the Valobra version of the AOS soaps? I can't seem to find any flavored Valobra stuff.

135 1,947
 09-23-2012, 06:10 PM
User Info
Closest thing is the shave stick. Just a mild, soapy scent. The other Valobras are croaps...

1 94
 09-23-2012, 06:47 PM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
Yep, +1 to what DashMaverick has stated.

Valobra Stick (mild soapy scent)
AOS Scents (Lavender, Lemon, Sandalwood, Unscented)
and
C&S (88 and O&C)

Apparently all the same "soap" so you're essentially paying for these intoxicating scents.

11 366
 09-23-2012, 07:24 PM
  • Shanman
  • NE Florida
User Info
Well, I have the stick and the Valobra Laveneder LE croap from last year so what the heck was I thinking? Return for sure. I can get lots of other great software elsewhere.

135 1,947
 09-23-2012, 07:26 PM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
(09-23-2012, 07:24 PM)Shanman Wrote: Well, I have the stick and the Valobra Laveneder LE croap from last year so what the heck was I thinking? Return for sure. I can get lots of other great software elsewhere.

24 Sounds like a plan! Where is there a Brick & Mortar store in your (our) area? I'm only familiar with The Superior Shave.

11 366
 09-23-2012, 07:37 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The soaps are very good , I must admit.Overpriced?Well , compared to D.R. Harris are , but if you are a tallow lover , it doesnt get better than Valobra/Art of Shaving and C&S shaving soaps.Also their scents are quiet nice , intoxicating , like the C&S Oxford and Cambridge one or the Art of Shaving Sandalwood.
Yes,Virgilio Valbra have been making excellent triple milled soaps.The croaps are good but they should introduced the Lavender as a regular edition and not a Limited one.

86 7,123
 09-23-2012, 08:16 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I love Valobra stick but prefer to have more scent to my soaps, so this might be the answer as performance is very very good. I've tried C&S 88 and it's not for me, O&C is next, hope I will find my scent with Valobras performance.

88 4,233
 09-23-2012, 09:05 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
AOS Lavender soap is scented with EO and it is pretty strongly scented at that. If you like a natural lavender scent, you may well like this soap.

- Murray

4 1,150
 09-23-2012, 11:01 PM
User Info
(09-23-2012, 06:47 PM)brian Wrote: C&S (88 and O&C)

If he's looking to save money, C&S is out! Confused

12 1,243
 09-24-2012, 03:38 AM
User Info
Its funny, I went into AOS asking about soaps and all they wanted to do was sell me their horrible preshave oil and cream...

You'd basically have to hold a gun to my nuts to get me to walk in there again, its like being harassed by car salesman.

0 652
 09-24-2012, 04:43 AM
User Info
Well, 'worth' is a YMMV thing, so only you can decide if the AOS is worth what you paid for it. I have 2 pucks myself ( Sandalwood and Lemon ) and both are great performers, and I'll probably replace the Sandalwood when it is gone because I do enjoy their take on the scent a lot. I don't regret getting the Lemon though, even if I don't repurchase it.

0 252
 09-24-2012, 05:41 AM
User Info
That's the value of having good salespeople. Amazing how many places overlook that part of the equation. There's a new AOS store in Des Moines that I stumbled across on Saturday, and the salesman was really laid back. No pressure, let me nose around without constant questions.

0 98
 09-24-2012, 06:24 AM
  • Shanman
  • NE Florida
User Info
(09-23-2012, 07:26 PM)brian Wrote: 24 Sounds like a plan! Where is there a Brick & Mortar store in your (our) area? I'm only familiar with The Superior Shave.

The is an AOS brick and mortar at the St. Johns Town Center off i95 and Butler headed toward the beach. They actually had a flat of Gillette Platinum blades which I like. I asked the guy if they were from the St. Pete factory and he then got inquisitive as to why it mattered. The other sales person was female and she got interested when I mentioned my wife now exclusively uses her Lady Gillette. Nice enough folks, but they were primed to pimp cartridges and goo and I stopped them before they went too deep into the whole dog and pony show.

Also, it made me cringe when the sales team proudly said AOS was owned by P&G- the reason they had the specific Gillette brand flat of blades. I hope they never try to purchase and kill Valobra, that would be a tragedy.

135 1,947
 09-24-2012, 09:53 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The guys from the Utah store are kind of quiet too and let you walk around the store without asking you the same question "is everything ok?, can I help you" a 100 times.

As I said earlier , the soaps are the closest thing to the old tallow based soaps , like Yardley or the Geo F Trumper tallow (I have 4 of those) , so for the tallow lover or the nostalgic of old traditional made in UK soaps , are a must to try.

86 7,123
 09-24-2012, 11:05 AM
User Info
I've not been harassed / pressured at the AoS store nearest to me. I have to say, I am a real fan of their creams. Copious amounts of lather from an almond sized bit of cream. My G/F loves the scent of their sandalwood over any of the other sandalwoods I have.

129 6,685
 09-24-2012, 11:58 AM
User Info
I went in to exchange a puck for another scent once, and they were very helpful. They weren't "pushy" at all.

12 1,243
 09-24-2012, 01:16 PM
User Info
(09-24-2012, 11:05 AM)wingdo Wrote: I've not been harassed / pressured at the AoS store nearest to me. I have to say, I am a real fan of their creams. Copious amounts of lather from an almond sized bit of cream. My G/F loves the scent of their sandalwood over any of the other sandalwoods I have.

I simply love their take on sandalwood. It's my favorite so far of all the sandal shave products I've used.

0 252
 09-24-2012, 01:20 PM
User Info
In the AOS store near me, at the Maul of America, there are two salespersons that I've talked to. One is tall, leggy, beautiful blond that can harass me all she wants and I'll stay there and gladly put up with it.

The other is a young punk who could only babble on and on about how the creams have glycerin and that was the secret to their awesome shaves. I was interested in their soaps but he kept trying to pull me back to their creams. When I said I'd be glad to try their creams if I could have a small sample, he seemed offended and quit helping me. I'll have to remember that for next time.

0 836
 09-24-2012, 02:49 PM
User Info
My sales guy told me to throw everything I had away and buy their kit lol, yeah no.

This was at Chandler Fashion Center, I showed him my kit and he had no idea what he was looking at haha.

0 652
 09-24-2012, 02:53 PM
User Info
(09-24-2012, 02:49 PM)Sodapopjones Wrote: My sales guy told me to throw everything I had away and buy their kit lol, yeah no.

This was at Chandler Fashion Center, I showed him my kit and he had no idea what he was looking at haha.

Interesting.

Do they have beautiful leggy blondes there? If so, I'll have to make a trip. If not...I never go there anyway. Only set foot in the Scottsdale when I absolutely have to. They also have Five Guys there. Although I think Smash Burger is winning the Five Guys/In 'n Out debate.

9 2,988