12-01-2019, 10:50 AM
  • SteelyEdge
  • Is it razor sharp? Works for me..
  • Northeast, USA
User Info
I wanted to get in a handful of shaves before writing up a brief description on the Occam’s razor in terms of fitment, quality and shave performance. And I will say that this razor kit has completely surprised me in overall performance and excellent value for what one gets.

First off the razor comes in a nicely packaged box excellent foam cut-outs for the razors components. You get an all stainless steel razor with 3 base plates that offer various degrees of aggression, 2 top plates in which one is offered with a ridge that runs along the center and full length of the cap (as per the makers of the razor it’s intended for those shavers that are new in safety razor wet shaving and helps with keeping the razor at the proper angle during shaving) and finally a verwell made handle that has excellent knurling to provide superb tactile feel without fear of dropping it with soap filled hands.

[Image: 9tkM1ax.jpg]

[Image: lopjFYI.jpg]

[Image: anWDD8r.jpg]

[Image: XGy8KYp.jpg]

[Image: IS6XNut.jpg]

The razor has a very nice quality feel about it but, don’t expect Wolfman or Timeless like looks. The razor is produced via a sintered process or MIM (metal injection manufacturing) that has produced an above average razor in looks and fitment. No inherent flashing or burr like deposits are nowhere to be found at least on my example that I have here. Once a blade is inserted it is held firmly and precisely with equal exposure on both sides of the razor head once assembled. The base plates and cap show tight tolerances as the razor comes together and is quite comfortable and well balanced in the hands. There is a slight bit of blade tab overhang on the ends but, it’s very minimal and just enough to insert or remove a blade. Some like blade tabs exposed, some don’t. Really makes no difference to me but, I think it was designed this way to give those that like exposed blade tabs their piece and for those that like those tabs covered it’s quite subdued. I can’t see anyone getting a nic or cut on their ear lobes because of it. Then again, anything is possible with those that possess butterfingers.

I do have a couple of things that do have me a bit annoyed. First and foremost are the base plate markings. It does say Occam’s Razor on them but, it gives you nothing else. There is no way of knowing which plates are which in terms of mildness to aggressiveness for one to decide upon. It’s really a hands on type of approach and the only way one knows is by shaving with them. It would have been much easier to have some type of indicator to denote aggression levels for each plate. Secondly, Classic Shaving has two of the plates marketed as open combs. Well, if you look at the pics above closely, you will notice that there isn’t an open comb plate in the kit. They all have straight bars that run the length of the plates. I think it would have been better to just say these are sb plates with a sort of hybrid configuration as to give an open comb like feel while shaving. Not a big deal but, it would have kept things in perspective and given a truer description of what the razor plates are.

Those couple of things aside, which are just superficial, the razor actually shaves very well. I learned through trial that the plate with the largest holes is in my experience the most aggressive of the three showing good blade feel and superb cutting efficiency without being too harsh or uncomfortable. The second one would be the plate with the hybrid type vertical bars over the straight bar . These are slightly raised and do give a feel that sort of reminds me of the Muhle R41, similar but not alike. Provides a very nice and efficient feeling shave that is just a tad below the previous plate. And the final plate with the serrations is actually very EJ DE89 like with just a tiny bit more blade feel. Excellent for those looking for a comfy daily shaver that cuts better than the aforementioned razor, imo.

Overall, for the price of $65 it is a fantastic value and razor set up that gives you a full range of plates to suit one’s wants in cutting efficiency. Stainless Steel 316L make up, excellent fitment and preciseness with performance that punches way above its weight. Anyone that’s in the market for a quality made razor made of an excellent alloy should really consider this razor as an option. Not everyone wants to spend hundreds of $$$ in a razor and this one with quite a few others in the market is definitely another option worth considering...

[Image: 9eWOgdZ.jpg]

1 314
 12-01-2019, 07:54 PM
User Info
Excellent review. Thanks for posting.

32 487
 12-02-2019, 02:29 PM
User Info
There is a video on Youtube, by Classic Shaving, indicating the difference in base-plates.

92 21,337
 12-14-2019, 01:45 PM
  • SteelyEdge
  • Is it razor sharp? Works for me..
  • Northeast, USA
User Info
A quick update on the Occam’s DE and my experience with it. I hadn’t shaved in practically 4 days as work has had me on the clock for nearly 16 hour days. Finally got a breather in today and needed to get a good shave in and get some face smoothness for myself and the Misses. Brought in the Occam’s with the hybrid OC plate (most efficient/aggressive plate), got a good lather from the GD soap and just went to town. What a marvelously efficient yet smooth cutting razor. 3 full passes, a chin buff and 4 days growth no more. I honestly did not expect this razor to perform so well. It combines efficiency and smoothness with relatively good blade feel but, keeps the bite like feel to a minimum on it. Don’t get me wrong, if you’re a bit careless or use a bit to much pressure it will leave it’s mark and remind you that it’s meant to cut. The results have been from good to excellent with every plate used in the kit. No regrets on acquiring this razor at all. Especially for the price that it’s available for. Price/performance ratio is through the roof.  Puts to shame a few other razors that are higher up on the food chain expense wise. Just a really good razor, period.

[Image: 9eeVlwH.jpg]

1 314
 12-15-2019, 10:55 PM
User Info
Good looking razor. I really like the look of that handle. Thanks for the review. Nice photos too, BTW

15 182