12-01-2019, 04:15 PM
User Info
Good afternoon, after wet shaving with DEs for about 10 years now I have finally decided to make the jump and try my hand at the straight.

Theres tons of info out there but it's pretty tough to weed through so I figured I would ask the experts here. What would you recommend for someones first straight.  I would love to see two options.  First option being the budget razor, not really wanting to spend more then about 120.00 for the first round

But I would love to see the second option of i got all the money to burn razor.  For this option money is no issue and its of the best quality.  

Thank you all for your support.

0 32
 12-01-2019, 05:24 PM
User Info
I think that most people will recommend that you get a 5/8 razor, and for 120 with a little patience you can get a sweet Dubl Duck off of eBay, or MK31 Heljestrand.

For the I have all the money to burn option...a Max Sprecher Razor would be pretty sweet. I also love the 7/8 Wacker razors...especially the Wacker Old Sheffield razor!

Also keep an eye out for straights on the Buy-Sell-Trade sections of the various shaving forums.

Vr

Matt

35 2,038
 12-01-2019, 05:54 PM
User Info
IMO a razor coming from a known/reputable honemeister is the way to go. No second guessing sharpness, make, quality, etc.

9 1,547
 12-01-2019, 08:59 PM
User Info
Buy a Focus R21 shavette...they cost about $15 and take half a DE blade (that's been snapped in two).

It will be an inexpensive way of finding out if you like this way of shaving and you can gauge whether 
the strokes required are manageable.

Second hand razors on eBay are often damaged and it takes an expert eye to see their flaws and potential.
Nothing worse than buying a damaged razor and have to send it off for repairs.

For new razors, take a look at Koraat and Brian Brown...the latter's semi custom range is pretty keenly priced.
Both these guys deliver shave ready razors in the true sense of the word. Many others dont even though they claim they do.

3 338
 12-02-2019, 01:47 PM
User Info
Thank you all for your repsones.  I will be hopefully picking one up before Christmas

0 32