12-04-2019, 04:43 PM
User Info
Anyone who uses a bath soap or shampoo bar ends up with a sliver that is too small to hold in the hand for use and gets thrown out.  Does anyone know how slivers could be combined so that they could be used up more completely instead of being wasted?

[Image: enwlSvn.jpg]

246 14,360
 12-04-2019, 07:38 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
(12-04-2019, 04:43 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Anyone who uses a bath soap or shampoo bar ends up with a sliver that is too small to hold in the hand for use and gets thrown out.  Does anyone know how slivers could be combined so that they could be used up more completely instead of being wasted?

[Image: enwlSvn.jpg]

I have this question as well.  I'm going to try squooshing (sp?) some together and see what happens.

Hopefully someone comes along with a good idea.

66 1,942
 12-04-2019, 08:52 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
When the sliver is of the same kind and basic shape of my replacement soap, I'll shower with the replacement soap then push the two wet soaps together somewhat forcibly and let them dry. A sliver of Mike's Natural usually will combine well with a another bar of Mike's and they will usually stick together so that I can use the sliver. Otherwise I put the sliver into the soap dish by my sink and use it as a hand soap. If I'm accumulating too many slivers in the dish, I'll keep the one I like best and toss the others. The artisan soaps are generally softer and easiety to mush together, but I've been unable to do it with the triple milled bath soaps such as D.R. Harris.

39 6,292
 12-05-2019, 01:12 AM
User Info
I do the same as Richard. I kind of get frustrated when a milled soap doesn't melt/adhere to another soap. Then I have to remember is such a small piece of soap it doesn’t matter really.

9 1,590
 12-05-2019, 05:38 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I squeeze them into an empty shave soap jar with as much force as I can muster. When done “properly” they generally form a bond worthy of use in the shower.

16 4,309
 12-05-2019, 06:00 PM
User Info
Sorry to be vague but I have heard of some sort of cloth pouch to place the slivers in. Then just lather with the pouch as you would the bar.

2 81
 12-05-2019, 09:30 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I could save them up until I had a half dozen, then grate them and press the gratings together to form a new bar.

39 6,292
 03-02-2020, 07:04 PM
User Info
Like others I wet the sliver and press onto a new bar.

Like "super lathers", different soaps produce
SUPER SOAPS!!

2 20
 03-08-2020, 05:24 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
Eventually, the pouch will get moldy. mashing slivers of soap hurts my old man hands. melting the soap might work but that sounds too much like work.

I must confess I toss the slivers of soap in the trash.

0 462
 03-08-2020, 08:47 AM
User Info
Stick em to the new bar

6 556
 03-10-2020, 08:46 PM
User Info
yup.. stick it to the new bar.. it's about as easy and complete a solution as you can get.

0 17
 06-24-2020, 01:20 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-04-2019, 08:52 PM)evnpar Wrote: When the sliver is of the same kind and basic shape of my replacement soap, I'll shower with the replacement soap then push the two wet soaps together somewhat forcibly and let them dry. A sliver of Mike's Natural usually will combine well with a another bar of Mike's and they will usually stick together so that I can use the sliver.

My technique is like Richard's, but I discovered a new twist this week.  Our go-to soap is Mystic Water, but we are sluts in trying different varieties of Mystic Water soaps. 

We were getting to the end of one of Michelle's Shea Butter soaps (Sandalwood, perhaps), and we pressed it into the top of a bar of her Black Goat soap.  Only the next day did we discover that we had created a new art form:  soap jewelry.  (Well, one would have to have a pretty big wrist to wear it as a bracelet, but it might hang nicely as a necklace from, say, a sturdy gold chain.)  It probably looked better the moment we pressed the old bar into the new, but here is how it looks after three or so showers: 

[Image: uVnCHAu.jpg]

Adds class to the powder room, too.

1 1,450
 06-24-2020, 06:29 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I thought once you had a powder room it was classy enough  W00t

16 4,309
 06-25-2020, 04:25 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(06-24-2020, 06:29 PM)chazt Wrote: I thought once you had a powder room it was classy enough  W00t

There are myriad possibilities for up-classing powder rooms.  

Wig stands for holding the coif whilst it is being powdered, for instance.  As yet, we do not have even one of those.

A quiff comb:  hard to find these days, but certain to generate conversation back in the drawing room.  

A genuine Michelangelo painting, so that when in the room the women come and go they can be talking of a specific work of art.

I could go on, but I shan't because the possibilities are endless.

(I might have posted a less abstruse response, yes; but you are an erudite school teacher who will recognize Poldy Bloom and Prufrock.)

1 1,450
 06-25-2020, 05:35 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
You crack me up  Biggrin

16 4,309
 06-25-2020, 05:43 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-25-2020, 04:25 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 06:29 PM)chazt Wrote: I thought once you had a powder room it was classy enough  W00t

There are myriad possibilities for up-classing powder rooms.  

Wig stands for holding the coif whilst it is being powdered, for instance.  As yet, we do not have even one of those.

A quiff comb:  hard to find these days, but certain to generate conversation back in the drawing room.  

A genuine Michelangelo painting, so that when in the room the women come and go they can be talking of a specific work of art.

I could go on, but I shan't because the possibilities are endless.

(I might have posted a less abstruse response, yes; but you are an erudite school teacher who will recognize Poldy Bloom and Prufrock.)

Thank you

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrym...d-prufrock

16 4,309
 06-25-2020, 05:46 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Freshman English at Hofstra University, the professor had a (what seemed at the time, sick) fascination with James Joyce. Turned me off completely. With retirement looming, perhaps I will crack a few books.

16 4,309
 07-06-2020, 06:53 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have placed a few bars in a micro wave safe dish and cooked for 15 to 20 seconds ...formed and then cooled and voila...I have a custom soap...even use 2 or 3 soap "scraps" and make new scents for the shower....worth a try....works for me.

6 2,183