12-08-2019, 03:21 PM
User Info
What are some good pre-shave oils? Hubby has used Shaveology and Lather & Wood. Both worked well but I’m just looking for variety. He has sensitive skin so I have to take it easy with heavily scented items.

0 9
 12-13-2019, 04:33 PM
User Info
Aqua de parma is very light in texture, low on scent and excellent in performance for me. I am talking about the barberie collezione. Though discontinued but you may still get with Gifts & care or on eBay.

Also, have heard good things about Grooming Dept Preshave Moisturizer. Not an oil but people really like this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 1,338
 12-14-2019, 02:56 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I’ve yet to find any pre-shave oil or other similar concoction that has made one iota of difference to the quality and comfort of my shave.  I always shower prior to shaving and thoroughly wet my face afterwards prior to lathering; over my +50 years of shaving this has proven to be wholly adequate pre-shave prep.

9 1,153
 12-14-2019, 09:44 AM
User Info
If you want something lighter, look into the Truefitt & Hill preshave oil. It costs more than most, but the small bottle will last a long time.
As I became more experienced with wet shaving, I have come to share the same opinion as Rufus. Good prep is more important than using preshave products.

58 308
 12-14-2019, 12:56 PM
User Info
I have sensitive skin and for me, proraso preshave has made a big difference. I do not like shaving without it, even when I use other high quality soaps and creams.

0 143
 12-19-2019, 07:00 AM
User Info
I shave before showering.

Imo a pre oil can be helpful. I like the one by Musgo Real. For fun I had tried olive oil from the kitchen. It didn’t work much worse.
I think that differences between pre oils are mostly their scents, not much their performance.
Right now I use mostly a biological and pure almond oil. Cheap and pure and works a charm.
Downside: ladies in my bathroom have noticed that it is perfect to remove make up, so it is vanishing fastSmile

[Image: ExMfVCp.jpg]

0 479
 12-19-2019, 02:34 PM
User Info
Beard Oils can work fine, too.  I've used Stirling, WSP, and a handful of others.  If he has sensitive skin, I would stick to grapeseed, almond, and jojoba bases.  Be wary of the Castor and Argan oils.  They're heavier and can clog pores.

1 323
 12-20-2019, 02:48 PM
User Info
Saw a video where Cris(Chris) used Williams as a preshave so I tried it. It was so slick.

0 58
 12-20-2019, 04:19 PM
User Info
(12-20-2019, 02:48 PM)Keto Wrote: Saw a video where Cris(Chris) used Williams as a preshave so I tried it. It was so slick.

What is “Williams”?

0 9
 12-20-2019, 08:02 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I don't care for pre-shave oils, but I do like Castle Forbes Pre-Shave. It's water soluble rather than oil based. I have a few soaps that I enjoy their scent, but don't find them slick enough for shaving with my straights. A little of this product works wonders.

39 6,293
 12-20-2019, 08:56 PM
User Info
(12-20-2019, 08:02 PM)evnpar Wrote: I don't care for pre-shave oils, but I do like Castle Forbes Pre-Shave. It's water soluble rather than oil based. I have a few soaps that I enjoy their scent, but don't find them slick enough for shaving with my straights. A little of this product works wonders.

I do have Castle Forbes Preshave and it's good. But in some months (winters) my skin behaves differently(drier) than rest of the year and I have seen an oil based Preshave helps better.

Also, softer soaps like Eufros / Declaration Grooming have better oil content than harder soaps and they are my go to soaps in winters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 1,338
 12-21-2019, 10:10 AM
User Info
After making lots of different pre shave oils, and selling some of them, I honestly do not see much performance difference in varying recipes.  Both thick oils like castor and thin like grapeseed and hemp both soften my skin enough for shaving.  I just make sure I wipe off the excess.

0 443