12-13-2019, 07:24 AM
User Info
What cologne or AS did your father or grandfather wear? Do you find yourself wearing it to bring back their memory?

My Dad was not into either of them much, and would mostly wear what my Mom or sisters bought as gifts. But he did like Brut, and would splash it on and use the spray deodorant at night when he would go to school board meetings.

As a teen and into my 20's I used Brut spray deodorant, then suddenly I developed some sort of allergy to it and would sneeze like crazy whenever I smelled it. Had to stop using.

I just picked up my first ever bottle of Aqua Velva, to take me back to their time periods. I don't remember my grandfather wearing anything scented.

0 50
 12-13-2019, 07:58 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
My dad was an electric shaver who never used scents. When I do choose to use scented products I tend to prefer old school, barber shop style scents.

16 4,305
 12-13-2019, 08:25 AM
User Info
(12-13-2019, 07:58 AM)chazt Wrote: My dad was an electric shaver who never used scents. When I do choose to use scented products I tend to prefer old school, barber shop style scents.

Nice. As a kid my dad shaved with a DE, then later switched to an electric (I was in my teens) & stayed with it. I bought an electric and hated it. It especially irritated my neck and left patchy stubble. I tried everything- shaving every day, waiting 2 to 4 days, pre-shaves. Nothing worked.

0 50
 12-13-2019, 11:40 AM
User Info
Aqua Velva
Old Spice

64 1,863
 12-13-2019, 01:52 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My dad used three and in this order.

Mennen Skin Bracer
Aqua Velva
Old Spice

I still use Mennen's and Aqua Velva throughout the year, but I do use Old Spice at Christmas time.

187 26,160
 12-13-2019, 04:57 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
My grandfather used Old Spice and my father Mennen Skin Bracer, and I used those products for many, many years. I probably still would, but my wife complains that I smell like a pine tree after using Mennen's, which I think is a complement. She thinks I smell like an old man, which I am, when using Old Spice. I still enjoy them and just reserve them for when she's not around. I probably like them because they bring back fond memories of watching my grandfather and father shave when I was a very young boy.

39 6,292
 12-13-2019, 06:57 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
My dad was an English Leather guy. He still is. Part of what I like when I visit him in Austin is that he keeps a jug of English Leather on the counter in his guest bathroom. I don't need to bring an aftershave when I visit him.

17 725
 12-14-2019, 03:12 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
My father always shaved with a Schick injector, but the only aftershave I remember him using is Brut.  Unfortunately, today I can’t stand the overpowering smell of Brut, but I do remember using it when I was at university.  Nevertheless, I do like some of the older aftershaves such as AV, English Leather and British Sterling, but like Brut I can’t get my nose around Old Spice or  Mennen Skin Bracer.

9 1,152
 12-14-2019, 04:26 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(12-13-2019, 06:57 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: My dad was an English Leather guy. He still is. Part of what I like when I visit him in Austin is that he keeps a jug of English Leather on the counter in his guest bathroom. I don't need to bring an aftershave when I visit him.

When I was in high school back in the 60's I wore English Leather and English Leather Lime.  I have not thought about those two in years.

187 26,160
 01-24-2020, 02:56 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Pop was a no nonsense career military man and only use aftershave,  whatever was at hand. Granddad was an Italian gentleman, I should say Sicilian, straight from the old country who wore cologne but the only one I remember was Yardley.  Used what even then appeared to be an ancient tin of their brillantine in his hair too.

8 2,812