12-19-2019, 11:47 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
At first I was in disbelief..until I confirmed via the decal (I was lucky to have any left at all to preserve) but the clincher was the stamp into the resin itself: "Best Badger" in precisely the right lettering.

This gem stands at 150mm, and the knot is 25.5mm. The loft is 55mm, handle 95mm

The handle is in a moulded resin (alligator skin effect on the surface). The amber is similar to the 1965-75 British product "Shattaline".

I am knocked out. Anyone seen anything like it? I think it must surely be a one-off (?)

More later. Enjoy.

[Image: 4xSLnKH.jpg]
[Image: EVSWbp9.jpg]
[Image: i7Que0n.jpg]
[Image: I5msm1H.jpg]
[Image: 0XRqlAW.jpg]

0 2,202
 12-19-2019, 03:59 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
It is nigh on impossible to attribute the resin handle to any specific maker, but it IS possible to discuss some different makers of this interesting cracked look. 

At first I was led to two French makers by researching the term "fractal resin". These were Pierre Giraudon - to whom invention of the technique has been attributed (more on this shortly) - and to the very "haute" designer and extremely well-connected Parisian, Marie Claude de Fouquieres, to whom the technique has also been attributed. Designer objects by both can at times fetch extravagant prices. I couldn't convince myself that this Simpson brush had anything to do with these two artist/designers, however, because: French and English collaboration? Made no sense.

Then I came across Major Lewen Tugwell, patenter genius of the "Shattaline" technique. Read about him and his products here: http://www.weydonian.net/shattaline/index.html 

Read his biography and be prepared for a VERY interesting surprise Smile

But...Shattaline? British? Yes. Simpson...well yes, makes sense that the two meet here in design, however, I am still not totally convinced this is a one-off Shattaline/Simpson collaboration. I am still searching for answers, but in the meantime, I am hoping someone here may come across some (any) information. I can well understand some may doubt that this is indeed a Simpson brush...but it is. I am 100% certain of it. The loft alone is very typical of a Simpson product. It is a lovely, generous, well-crafted knot, more like today’s silvertip than ‘best’.

My only further comment is that while this is a beautiful, sculptural piece, it is, ergonomically speaking, less than ideal. Holding that handle as I cleaned it up was not without its risks and challenges. I can understand why, if Simpson made a batch or two of these modernist-inspired marmalade blocks, they quickly trashed the design.

Another pic:

[Image: 4bngoKB.jpg]

0 2,202
 12-19-2019, 08:10 PM
  • rev579
  • μαθητής
  • East Texas
User Info
I think is amazingly grotesque, yet fascinatingly beautiful. The resin is enough to make someone reach for the brush routinely, but the onyx ferrule looks like it would be challenge to keep clean. Great find!

3 113
 12-20-2019, 12:40 AM
User Info
I learned something new today, thank you Shaun. That was very interesting Biggrin

3 6,800
 12-20-2019, 09:38 AM
User Info
Absolutely stunning!

0 57
 12-20-2019, 12:01 PM
User Info
I don't know who made it, but it is freaking cool!

96 966
 12-20-2019, 12:15 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(12-20-2019, 12:01 PM)chromedometone Wrote: I don't know who made it, but it is freaking cool!

Simpson made it. Or do you mean the handle alone?

Yes, it’s fantastical. There was a ‘pineapple’ brush Simpson made which came to light A few years back. Probably far rarer. I must look it up.

0 2,202
 12-20-2019, 12:19 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Here is the thread to the ‘pineapple’, and there is a reference in it to Simpson producing custom brushes. This thread is worthy of reposting:

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=20835

0 2,202
 12-20-2019, 01:26 PM
User Info
(12-20-2019, 12:15 PM)Shaun Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 12:01 PM)chromedometone Wrote: I don't know who made it, but it is freaking cool!

Yes, it’s fantastical. There was a ‘pineapple’ brush Simpson made which came to light A few years back. Probably far rarer. I must look it up.

The latter.

96 966
 12-20-2019, 10:10 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(12-20-2019, 01:26 PM)chromedometone Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 12:15 PM)Shaun Wrote:

The latter.

Yes, it’s a looker. The loft is very ‘generous’, but holding the handle? Would take quite a bit of getting used to!

0 2,202
 12-21-2019, 06:13 AM
  • rev579
  • μαθητής
  • East Texas
User Info
I’m not so sure it would be that difficult to adapt to. It could be compatible to the Major or some of the other 3-piece travel brushes. Even the older Silver brushes might offer a similar purchase to the hand.

3 113
 12-21-2019, 07:33 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Thanks for the interesting history lesson, Shaun. The handle material here is stunning. It's obviously rarer than rare. I’m guessing Simpson felt it wasn’t a turnable material?

15 3,884
 12-21-2019, 07:47 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(12-21-2019, 07:33 PM)chazt Wrote: Thanks for the interesting history lesson, Shaun. The handle material here is stunning. It's obviously rarer than rare. I’m guessing Simpson felt it wasn’t a turnable material?

Hi Charles; yes, you’re probably right. I suppose any progressive company might try new materials, although use of resin would have taken away from the superb lathing craft for which Simpson was renown.

I am thinking this may have been a custom brush, but unless by extraordinary chance someone happens to know who it was made for, it will remain an enigma.

Time will tell. Mysteries do seem to unravel in time.

Thanks for your comment. I always look forward to your input, Charles.

Shaun

0 2,202
 12-21-2019, 10:13 PM
  • rev579
  • μαθητής
  • East Texas
User Info
What is the black material made of? Will you use it? Please say yes...

3 113
 12-21-2019, 11:10 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(12-21-2019, 10:13 PM)rev579 Wrote: What is the black material made of? Will you use it? Please say yes...

The black component is also resin. Easy to tell as I cleaned and polished it. The smell is quite unmistakable.

Yes, I’ll use it.

0 2,202
 12-23-2019, 07:52 AM
  • rev579
  • μαθητής
  • East Texas
User Info
How is the purchase(fit in the hand)? I have yet to use my "Pre-Major" Major No. 5, but the handle size looks similar. Is the knot dense or regularly packed?

3 113
 12-23-2019, 12:45 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
The purchase in the hand is not good, not just because of the dimensions and shape, but because it is slippery. A dab of alum on the fingers helps.

The knot is large, dense and yielding, and quite superb; it is much like a Duke 3, but longer/taller. Lady Marmalade won't form part of my rotation, though. It's more a collector's item, and I want to preserve and protect it. I am pleased I am able to post here in the Nook as an archive and repository of information.

As stated, the knot is 25.5mm and the loft is 55mm in height. I can't find a current or new Simpson knot which shares these same dimensions.

In the meantime, I found the below image of a German "Rex" with not dissimilar colouring, however, it is smaller and there is a clean join between upper and lower handle sections. It is claimed it has a lucite handle, but I doubt it. I say resin. Who knows where it is now, but I would love to have it in my possession. Still, you can't always get what you want Wink

[Image: N4FifhQ.jpg]

0 2,202
 12-23-2019, 01:55 PM
  • rev579
  • μαθητής
  • East Texas
User Info
(12-23-2019, 12:45 PM)Shaun Wrote: The purchase in the hand is not good, not just because of the dimensions and shape, but because it is slippery. A dab of alum on the fingers helps.

The knot is large, dense and yielding, and quite superb; it is much like a Duke 3, but longer/taller. Lady Marmalade won't form part of my rotation, though. It's more a collector's item, and I want to preserve and protect it. I am pleased I am able to post here in the Nook as an archive and repository of information.

As stated, the knot is 25.5mm and the loft is 55mm in height. I can't find a current or new Simpson knot which shares these same dimensions.

In the meantime, I found the below image of a German "Rex" with not dissimilar colouring, however, it is smaller and there is a clean join between upper and lower handle sections. It is claimed it has a lucite handle, but I doubt it. I say resin. Who knows where it is now, but I would love to have it in my possession. Still, you can't always get what you want Wink

[Image: N4FifhQ.jpg]

Lady Marmalade and her offspring. That would be fantastic.

3 113
 12-23-2019, 05:09 PM
User Info
That is one spectular brush!  Thank for sharing it and your research.

0 114
 12-23-2019, 05:39 PM
User Info
(12-23-2019, 12:45 PM)Shaun Wrote: It is claimed it has a lucite handle, but I doubt it. I say resin. 

My understanding is that Lucite is a registered brand name for acrylic resin. There is a fairly broad range or synthetic resins.

3 1,555