12-25-2019, 01:01 PM
User Info
I enjoy honing straight razors and knives.  For years, I've thought about a Suehiro Gokumyo 20,000 grit whetstone.  This year, I decided to get one  They are difficult to source.  In the past they were available from Tools From Japan, an online store in Japan owned by Stuart Tierney.  Additionally, Chef Knives To Go used to stock them.  Regrettably, Tools From Japan closed down, and Chef Knives to Go can no longer get them.  I couldn't find this stone anywhere, and was left with Amazon as the only source.  I ordered the stone, at a price of $309.98.

Here is the box, after I unwrapped it ftom the bubble wrap.

[Image: gKhfm0f.jpg]

There was something odd about the 2-part box.  The top would not lift off.  The top had been intentionally glued on in such a way that the only way to open the box was to tear it.  Thus, there was no way to open the box to inspect the contents, unless you tore it apart.  That's just what I did, and this is what was in the box:

[Image: PXumqwb.jpg]

The box contained only paper, and two latex gloves filled with what feel like small synthetic stones, added for weight.  I'm not going to open the latex gloves to see what is actually in them, as I have no idea what it could be.

I'm getting a refund, but it's troubling this happens.

60 10,400
 12-25-2019, 01:54 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
What a shame and disappointment. I'm sorry to hear that Tools from Japan is closed, and that Chef Knives to Go is unable to get them. I love mine, and it's my primary finisher and refreshing stone. 90% of the time the edge is perfect, but occasionally it's very sharp and not smooth enough, so I'll either follow up on a pasted strop or take it to one of my Jnats. I wish I could tell you where to find one.

39 6,292
 12-25-2019, 02:13 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Did amazon have an explanation?

187 26,161
 12-25-2019, 02:58 PM
User Info
I’ll bet someone bought one from Amazon, weighed it, replaced the stone with the same weight in rocks, and returned it glued shut. Amazon employees put it back on the shelf when they couldn’t open it without ripping the box. Then you got it.

19 176
 12-25-2019, 06:37 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
That's terrible Ricardo.  I'm glad you're getting a refund.

12 2,383
 12-25-2019, 08:05 PM
User Info
(12-25-2019, 02:13 PM)Johnny Wrote: Did amazon have an explanation?

Johnny, Amazon has such a massive volume of shipments that no human was involved in my refund process.  In about one minute I made a claim online, and they emailed me a return code.  All I have to do now is take the item to The UPS Store near my house.  They'll scan the return code, package it, print a label, and send it back at no cost to me.  Amazon will then issue a refund.

(12-25-2019, 06:37 PM)Sully Wrote: That's terrible Ricardo.  I'm glad you're getting a refund.

Thanks, Shawn.  The only good thing about this experience is the Amazon refund process.

60 10,400
 12-25-2019, 08:12 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
It’s a real shame, Ricardo. I’m glad the return process went well for you. It always amazes me that people actually stoop so low as to pull a stunt like that.

16 4,313
 12-25-2019, 08:37 PM
User Info
(12-25-2019, 02:58 PM)handjam Wrote: I’ll bet someone bought one from Amazon, weighed it, replaced the stone with the same weight in rocks, and returned it glued shut. Amazon employees put it back on the shelf when they couldn’t open it without ripping the box. Then you got it.

That's exactly what I believe happened.

(12-25-2019, 08:12 PM)chazt Wrote: It’s a real shame, Ricardo. I’m glad the return process went well for you. It always amazes me that people actually stoop so low as to pull a stunt like that.

Thanks, Charlie.   Yes, it is amazing how many dishonest people there are.  What's frustrating is that Amazon is so huge it can't investigate and take action on each case of fraud that goes on.  For Amazon, this is just part of the cost of doing business

60 10,400
 12-25-2019, 09:17 PM
User Info
It is a shame.  Fortunately Amazon is really good about issuing refunds for items they sell or fulfill.  Here's the thing though.  Amazon should be removing the product until they get to the bottom of the matter.

2 390
 12-29-2019, 04:55 AM
User Info
this is really unfortunate.  i have been scammed on amazon more than once.  Every time has been by a third party vendor though.  Amazon itself has been really helpful in fixing any issues.  When you can get them on the phone that is.

0 443
 12-29-2019, 06:12 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Just awful.

68 5,619
 01-19-2020, 05:40 AM
User Info
This story has a good ending.  Amazon issued a quick refund.  Thanks to a tip from a member, I found a New York vendor of Japanese restaurant supplies which carries the stone.  I should get it tomorrow.

60 10,400
 01-19-2020, 01:11 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Interesting you received a box with contents.  Remember dealing with a customer that had purchased a very expensive exotic auto exotic metal exhaust from Canada using PayPal.  The exhaust was in fact a couple bricks when the box opened.  Paypal's response was that as the transaction had not occurred via eBay and that ANY product had been shipped, that there was no recourse.  When asked if even a pile of feces qualified as fulfillment of a gold transaction their response was yes - as long as there was something inside the box.  So many are lulled into thinking a PayPal transaction is protected when in fact it is not.  Fortunately the buyer was from a well connected family with international reach able to pull strings with Canadian officials to bring about resolution.

6 692