12-30-2019, 03:30 PM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
So, I finally made my own aftershave. Well, sort-of.

I popped by the Creed counter at Holt Renfrew a couple weeks ago. Walked away with 3 gorgeous new samples to supplement my current Creed library (of 2). Now I have Viking and Royal Mayfair (my big bottles), and samples of Aberdeen Lavander, Erolfa, and Tabarome Millésime.

Five heavenly scents. Time to start enjoying them regularly. I hate using them after an aftershave, and messing with the purity of the fine Creed blending. How do I keep it unsullied without skipping my AF?

I add one spray to some witch hazel, that’s how. I use a spray of Creed, and shake some witch hazel into my hand on top of it, and apply as after shave. It’works great.

The WH is pretty close to odorless, so I’m almost getting the pure scent that the master perfumers at Creed intended. The witch hazel scent goes away in a few minutes anyway.

I now have a spectacular after shave. I guess I might be missing some of the other ingredients that an after shave needs though. I’m not sure what they are. But, it works very well. I know I’m getting witch hazel and a bit of alcohol for sure.

I also have some AFs that are just too strong, so I think I’ll try diluting them in my hand with some WH. (My Abbate Y La Mantia splashes are very concentrated, but I love them.) I’ll still get the resplendent scent, but it won’t announce itself from 5 feet away.

I suspect I'm not the only one doing this. Anyone else keep it pure this way, or do you prefer to experiment with different AF and frag combos?

1 657
 12-30-2019, 04:57 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I’ve been doing this for a few years. I saved a 4 ounce witch hazel bottle and replenish it with drops of genuine aftershave mixed with straight witch hazel. Occasionally I add a smidge of alcohol if a slight tingle is in order Smile I get to enjoy the pleasing scent without overwhelming those nearby.

16 4,304
 01-05-2020, 09:33 AM
User Info
Interesting idea, I’ve been messing with the idea of using up some cologne samples by incorporating them into an unscented soap, but I like the witch hazel idea too. I have a large bottle of Dickinson’s that’s not getting much use... will probably add a little glycerin too

10 207