01-01-2020, 01:41 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
There was a time when the Art of Shaving was top shelf, well-regarded.
AoS had stand-alone stores in upscale malls.  
There were "shops" in Macy's.

Now...

Well, here's what I saw on a shelf at a local Marshall's store.

Sigh...

[Image: PbI9gnu.jpg]

66 1,923
 01-01-2020, 01:55 PM
User Info
FWIW, they still have standalone stores in high end shopping malls.  The Short Hills Mall near me, arguably one of the more high end malls in the US, has a store.  In fact, that's the store that my wife dragged me into when we were doing some Christmas shopping 4 years ago and she decided she wanted to buy me the medium travel kit with pre-shave oil, shaving cream, post-shave balm and a small badger brush.  It's still there now.  Remember, this company is Gillette and Proctor & Gamble.  Their stuff is going to find their way into the world.  Frankly, I don't see what's sad about it.  I actually love their Sandalwood shaving cream.  Top shelf in my opinion even in the current formulation.  I won't buy their hardware mostly because the hardware isn't theirs and it's outrageously over priced.  But the software is reasonable.  I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on their Lavender cream and one of their Oud scented creams.

2 386
 01-01-2020, 02:26 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I’m partial to their sandalwood too, they didn’t have any of that at Marshalls did they?

8 784
 01-01-2020, 02:52 PM
User Info
Yeah like others have said, their hardware is way over-priced. And to me, their creams are too, considering what other items are out there for the same, or cheaper, price (that perform better).

But since they have to pay the overhead on those brick and mortar stores, the over-charging is probably merited, from their stand point.

But just like Castle Forbes and TOBS, their formulation needs to improve to stay competitive in soap performance.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

0 26
 01-01-2020, 03:00 PM
User Info
(01-01-2020, 02:52 PM)sgrdddy Wrote: Yeah like others have said, their hardware is way over-priced.  And to me, their creams are too, considering what other items are out there for the same, or cheaper, price (that perform better).

But since they have to pay the overhead on those brick and mortar stores, the over-charging is probably merited, from their stand point.

But just like Castle Forbes and TOBS, their formulation needs to improve to stay competitive in soap performance.

Interestingly I've never been impressed with Castle Forbes.  Based upon the rave reviews I've seen on all the forums I went out and bought a tub of the Lime and the Lavender CF.  I don't get the slickness from it no matter how careful I am in building my lather.  In fact, I get better performance from TOBS than CF.

2 386
 01-01-2020, 03:06 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(01-01-2020, 02:26 PM)Steve56 Wrote: I’m partial to their sandalwood too, they didn’t have any of that at Marshalls did they?

The fact that it made its way into marshalls should tell you what you need to know. It ain't sellin'. There used to be a hard MAP of $30.00 on the creams in a tub yet this tub is gathering dust at $9.99 (which, by the way, is way below wholesale).

52 21,187
 01-01-2020, 03:11 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
(01-01-2020, 03:06 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 02:26 PM)Steve56 Wrote: I’m partial to their sandalwood too, they didn’t have any of that at Marshalls did they?

The fact that it made its way into marshalls should tell you what you need to know. It ain't sellin'. There used to be a hard MAP of $30.00 on the creams in a tub yet this tub is gathering dust at $9.99 (which, by the way, is way below wholesale).

Yeah my comment was kind of a hail Mary, lol.

8 784
 01-01-2020, 03:31 PM
User Info

I'm guessing those two boxes are Peppermint and Bergamot Neroli.  No wonder they aren't selling.  The scents suck.  You won't find their classic scents sitting unsold on a Marshall's shelf unsold at $9.99.  Find me a company's shaving soap or cream line that doesn't have some yuckers in it and I'll say to you, nonsense.

2 386
 01-01-2020, 03:38 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(01-01-2020, 03:31 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote:

I'm guessing those two boxes are Peppermint and Bergamot Neroli.  No wonder they aren't selling.  The scents suck.  You won't find their classic scents sitting unsold on a Marshall's shelf unsold at $9.99.  Find me a company's shaving soap or cream line that doesn't have some yuckers in it and I'll say to you, nonsense.

How do you feel about lavender? I’ve been selling tubes for below wholesale for over a year. The line simply does not sell

BTW... I actually liked the peppermint

[Image: mGHlziV.jpg]

52 21,187
 01-01-2020, 03:51 PM
User Info
(01-01-2020, 03:38 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 03:06 PM)bullgoose Wrote: The fact that it made its way into marshalls should tell you what you need to know. It ain't sellin'. There used to be a hard MAP of $30.00 on the creams in a tub yet this tub is gathering dust at $9.99 (which, by the way, is way below wholesale).

How do you feel about lavender? I’ve been selling tubes for below wholesale for over a year. The line simply does not sell

I just checked your site and don't see any AOS shaving creams.

2 386
 01-01-2020, 03:57 PM
User Info
(01-01-2020, 03:00 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 02:52 PM)sgrdddy Wrote: Yeah like others have said, their hardware is way over-priced.  And to me, their creams are too, considering what other items are out there for the same, or cheaper, price (that perform better).

Interestingly I've never been impressed with Castle Forbes.  Based upon the rave reviews I've seen on all the forums I went out and bought a tub of the Lime and the Lavender CF.  I don't get the slickness from it no matter how careful I am in building my lather.  In fact, I get better performance from TOBS than CF.
Yeah, I tried CF for the first time this year. Glad I just bought a sample.

And yes, all I saw online were positive reviews.

0 26
 01-01-2020, 04:01 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(01-01-2020, 03:51 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 03:31 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I'm guessing those two boxes are Peppermint and Bergamot Neroli.  No wonder they aren't selling.  The scents suck.  You won't find their classic scents sitting unsold on a Marshall's shelf unsold at $9.99.  Find me a company's shaving soap or cream line that doesn't have some yuckers in it and I'll say to you, nonsense.

I just checked your site and don't see any AOS shaving creams.

Its in the clearance section -we are down to only tubes of Lavender.

52 21,187
 01-01-2020, 04:01 PM
User Info
(01-01-2020, 03:06 PM)bullgoose Wrote: The fact that it made its way into marshalls should tell you what you need to know. It ain't sellin'. There used to be a hard MAP of $30.00 on the creams in a tub yet this tub is gathering dust at $9.99 (which, by the way, is way below wholesale).

I'll bet it sells to those who only know about the physical stores.

I'll bet 99% of the folks who make it to a web site like bullgoose or Maggards know better.

0 26
 01-01-2020, 04:10 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(01-01-2020, 04:01 PM)sgrdddy Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 03:31 PM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I'm guessing those two boxes are Peppermint and Bergamot Neroli.  No wonder they aren't selling.  The scents suck.  You won't find their classic scents sitting unsold on a Marshall's shelf unsold at $9.99.  Find me a company's shaving soap or cream line that doesn't have some yuckers in it and I'll say to you, nonsense.

I'll bet it sells to those who only know about the physical stores.  

I'll bet 99% of the folks who make it to a web site like bullgoose or Maggards know better.

Yes, it is definitely geared towards a different market.

52 21,187
 01-01-2020, 04:48 PM
  • Nero
User Info
I still get a better shave from AoS creams than from at least 90% of everything else out there.

I agree the Bergamot Neroli scent is not good.

...Most of their new scents in the past 2, 3, 4 years have been failures, IMO.

But, Peppermint is peppermint, so if you like peppermint you'll like Peppermint.

91 3,839
 01-01-2020, 05:52 PM
User Info
AoS was my entry into the hobby as well, so I agree it’s disappointing. All of the stores in downtown San Francisco have closed. Four of the six in the Bay Area are gone. It was nice to be able to smell the products in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 372
 01-01-2020, 06:49 PM
User Info
Looks like I need to swing by Marshalls in the near future to try and get that deal!!

Costco had AOS Sandalwood this holiday season which was neat to see, but unfortunately for me it included a brush and shave oil so it wasn't a good value.

6 1,107
 01-02-2020, 07:25 AM
User Info
Marshall's? Try Costco. They were selling the Sandalwood 4 pieces set about a week or 2 ago.

[Image: kOI3j26.jpg]

0 63
 01-02-2020, 11:47 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
I picked up a tub of Bergamot Neroli from my Marshall's here in small town Nebraska.  One of the employees looked at me funny when I opened it up to take a whiff.  Glad I did, as it smells wonderful.  The other scent they had was eucalyptus, but I didn't bother even opening it.  I've never tried the AOS cream, so it's on deck for tonight.  I do use AOS Lavender balm frequently.  Good stuff!!

72 798
 01-02-2020, 01:22 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I still enjoy AOS creams, although there are now so many fine products that they don't show up in my rotation very often. Their sandalwood scent is a classic. A bar of their sandalwood bath soap is expensive although it's large and is of high quality. I did use Peppermint a couple of times over the holidays. Their A/S balms aren't bad. I can often find unscented balm for about 1/3 the price on the bay. There are few better creams than AOS, but usually get a very good shave from AOS.

38 6,151