09-24-2012, 05:44 PM
User Info
I would like to know from owners of the same Chubby model with Best and 3-band Super hair.

Which one did you prefer and did the Best hair seem to bloom more than the 3-band Super hair ?

I enjoy my Chubby 2 in 2-Band very much and have a pending order for a Chubby 3 in 2-band also, but I'm curious about Chubby 2 in Best and 3-Band Super hair.
I face lather exclusively, and like both soft tipped and scrubby brushes - but dislike a huge bloom, because this makes it harder to create lather under my nose area and ear area without filling lather all over the place.

A Chubby 3 in 2-band blooms less than a Chubby 2 in best hair for instance.....

Thanks for helping me with advice Smile

22 5,064
 09-24-2012, 07:40 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Can't speak for 2 band but chubby 2 in best blooms but not excessively, since it is packed with a LOT of hair and the loft is not high.

88 4,233
 09-25-2012, 04:26 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
+1 No excessive bloom and truly packed with hair!

It is so dense and it face lathers easily though it doesn't always like to give up the lather.
Perhaps the 2 band would be less "lather greedy"???

(09-24-2012, 07:40 PM)beartrap Wrote: Can't speak for 2 band but chubby 2 in best blooms but not excessively, since it is packed with a LOT of hair and the loft is not high.

6 905
 09-27-2012, 09:33 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I dont find too much difference with brushes with almost the same specs (knot size,I mean).Maybe the super blooms a little bit more , but not by much.

86 7,123
 09-27-2012, 10:40 AM
User Info
Very little in my brushes but the best blooms more.

I don't have the one in super now as I preferred the best knot.

7 1,179
 09-27-2012, 03:55 PM
User Info
(09-27-2012, 10:40 AM)Dipesh Wrote: Very little in my brushes but the best blooms more.

I don't have the one in super now as I preferred the best knot.

So yours Super 3 bloomed more than your Best ?
Everyone else seems to think the Best blooms a bit less than the Super 3 Huh

Probably depends if you get a Best Hair in a quality that is very close to a Super 3 or a Best hair that more resembles a lower grade hair quality.....
It's a natural product after all, so batches will vary of course........

How come you prefer the Best over Super, like Tesite and many more also tend to do ?
Better flow through ?
Nicer backbone for face lathering ?

Thanks, Sir Smile

22 5,064
 09-27-2012, 06:49 PM
User Info
I prefer the Best over the Super. So close in performance that the price difference cannot be justified.

I also like the feel on my face. If I wanted super badger hair, I have other options. Not so with best.

9 2,988
 09-28-2012, 12:13 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
I think there is a definite difference between the best and 2-band. For best versus 3-band, however, I'm not sure the difference is really justifiable. But I also don't care for 3-band super in general, so I'll admit I'm biased in that regard. I had a Chubby 2 in best I traded and it bloomed very little. I think the chubbies in best are denser than their counterparts in super.

9 541
 09-28-2012, 06:42 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(09-25-2012, 04:26 AM)EHV Wrote: +1 No excessive bloom and truly packed with hair!

It is so dense and it face lathers easily though it doesn't always like to give up the lather.
Perhaps the 2 band would be less "lather greedy"???

I agree that the CH2 Best holds onto lather, More so than I prefer. That is at least part of the reason that I've ordered (and am awaiting) a CH2 2-band.

47 1,378
 09-28-2012, 10:17 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Why the emphasis on the amount of bloom, Claus?

My CH2 3-band Super blooms more than my CH2 Best. The Super 3-band feels more luxurious on the face. It is packed more densely and is more fan shaped. The Super tips are softer.

I think there is a distinct difference between the Best and Super.

43 1,690
 09-29-2012, 12:06 AM
User Info
(09-28-2012, 10:17 PM)Andrew Wrote: Why the emphasis on the amount of bloom, Claus?

My CH2 3-band Super blooms more than my CH2 Best. The Super 3-band feels more luxurious on the face. It is packed more densely and is more fan shaped. The Super tips are softer.

I think there is a distinct difference between the Best and Super.

The answer is quite simple Biggrin

Because when I use brushes with knots larger than 26-27 mm and they bloom too much, which I find 3-Bands with its finer hair have a tendency to do when compared to 2-Bands in same model and same size.
This is why I prefer 2-Bands in the larger knots, and 3-Bands in the smaller knots - I appreciate the softness of 3-Band, but I dislike their large bloom, so avoid them in the larger knots.

Reason for this, as I said, is quite simple - since I face lather exclusively I feel that a Chubby 2 in 3-Band Super simply blooms too much thus I have trouble with creating and placing lather under my nose and around my ears without filling my nostrils and ears up with lather Blush

I already find my Rooney Stubby 2XL with its 28 mm knot - though a 2-band but in a fan shape - is on the edge size wise of what I like, and crazy as I am, I have just bought the 3XL - because the 2XL still was such a joy to use, but I dislike getting lather in my nose and ears and find it harder to control a big brush with big knot if the knot is made in 3-Band Super/Silvertip with its finer hair spreading out more easily.

I know very well that these 3-Bands are a joy to use - and as said I own quite a few, but I have learned my lesson and only order 3-Bands Super or 3-Bands Silvertip in knot sizes raining from 23mm to 26 mm and not larger than that.
From 26 mm and up, I stay with 2-Bands because they bloom less, have soft tips and nice backbone.

YMMV of course, my friend Shy

22 5,064