01-05-2020, 11:40 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Wondering if anybody has bought this razor and if so ...any comments?

6 2,183
 01-05-2020, 01:09 PM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
Like many of the reviews, I found it to be similar to the Ambassador at 3.5 which is right up my alley.  If you don't have an Ambassador I'd liken it to somewhere between the game changer models.  It's not quite as aggressive as the GC .84, which is mid aggressive.  I found the finish on my Envoy to be superb.  Another positive, or negative, depending on what you like, is that the Envoy is the grippiest razor I have ever owned.  I like it, but can understand that some might not like the nature of the handle.

72 808
 01-05-2020, 03:04 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Sounds encouraging. Can it be used with a different handle? It seems heavier (~106 grams?) than I like nowadays...

16 4,313
 01-05-2020, 04:12 PM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
(01-05-2020, 03:04 PM)chazt Wrote: Sounds encouraging. Can it be used with a different handle? It seems heavier (~106 grams?) than I like nowadays...

The base plate is indented where the handle screws in and seats into the plate.  I've used a couple different handles with it.  One that is larger than the hole, and one that fits in the hole.
[Image: 7JTYCji.jpg]

72 808
 01-05-2020, 07:25 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(01-05-2020, 04:12 PM)ddk13 Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 03:04 PM)chazt Wrote: Sounds encouraging. Can it be used with a different handle? It seems heavier (~106 grams?) than I like nowadays...

The base plate is indented where the handle screws in and seats into the plate.  I've used a couple different handles with it.  One that is larger than the hole, and one that fits in the hole.
[Image: 7JTYCji.jpg]

Thanks for the info. Did you find either handle to be “better” in any way? Do you think the repro Ball End handle would attach properly?

16 4,313
 01-06-2020, 07:19 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
(01-05-2020, 07:25 PM)chazt Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 04:12 PM)ddk13 Wrote:

Thanks for the info. Did you find either handle to be “better” in any way? Do you think the repro Ball End handle would attach properly?

I like the stock handle the best.  I'm not sure re: the ball end tech handle.  I tried a handle from a Tech and it didn't fit too well.  If I remember to take my calipers home from work I can measure the width of the recess.

72 808
 01-06-2020, 08:35 AM
  • BigT
User Info
(01-05-2020, 01:09 PM)ddk13 Wrote: Like many of the reviews, I found it to be similar to the Ambassador at 3.5 which is right up my alley.  If you don't have an Ambassador I'd liken it to somewhere between the game changer models.  It's not quite as aggressive as the GC .84, which is mid aggressive.  I found the finish on my Envoy to be superb.  Another positive, or negative, depending on what you like, is that the Envoy is the grippiest razor I have ever owned.  I like it, but can understand that some might not like the nature of the handle.

I guess it's all subjective.  I do agree the Envoy is similar to the 3.5 setting on the Ambassador, but have to dis-agree that it's milder than the GC .84.  I find that for my skin the GC .84 is much milder, maybe the forward blade exposure of the Envoy is greater which makes it, to me anyway, more aggressive feeling. The Envoy is a beautifully machined and finished tool, the handle is a tad short for me but works perfectly and as noted is "extremely" grip worthy.

0 39
 01-06-2020, 09:15 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
The Envoy has less blade gap than the .84, as well as less blade exposure.  It also has more curvature to the blade creating a rigid shaving edge, as opposed to the .84, making it feel more aggressive than it actually is.  I haven't cut myself with the Envoy, or Ambassador in a couple hundred shaves, but have found that if i'm not careful with the game changer I can get weepers or the occasional nick.

72 808
 01-06-2020, 08:20 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(01-06-2020, 07:19 AM)ddk13 Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 07:25 PM)chazt Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 04:12 PM)ddk13 Wrote: The base plate is indented where the handle screws in and seats into the plate.  I've used a couple different handles with it.  One that is larger than the hole, and one that fits in the hole.

I like the stock handle the best.  I'm not sure re: the ball end tech handle.  I tried a handle from a Tech and it didn't fit too well.  If I remember to take my calipers home from work I can measure the width of the recess.

Thanks, it’s nice of you to offer, but don’t do it on my account. I’m just mildly curious.
Thanks again Smile

16 4,313
 02-04-2020, 12:13 PM
User Info
1st shave with my Rex Envoy today with Kai blade and Wholly Kaw Base Siero soap. 
YMMV
IMHO, Handle is perfect for me, real grippy short handle with great balance.
Easy to load the blade.
1st pass WTG was too good to be true. Blade cleans easily between passes. 2nd XTG pass real nice. 3rd ATG pass real nice too.
No cuts, no weepers. Super close shave - as close to if not BBS. Way beyond good shave for sure. My usual problem areas completely mowed down - no stubble.
Rex Envoy is more much more aggressive than Feather AS-D2 and Timeless 0.68 yet forgiving in those tricky areas.

64 1,872
 02-04-2020, 01:29 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Good info. Thanks Jack.

16 4,313
 02-28-2020, 11:20 PM
User Info
I love my Envoy! It's definitely more aggressive than the GC .68 but I've not nicked myself with it. It just requires attention and focus. I'm getting consistent BBS shaves with no irritation. I really enjoy using it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

0 16
 04-25-2020, 03:42 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Our old friend, The Enabler, finally got me. I had been on the fence with this razor for months and months. The thing that held me back from buying it sooner was the published weight of it - 106 grams. What with my aging, arthritic hands, I tend to like lighter razors nowadays. Still, I was drawn to the look of it. What a sexy piece of steel. Well, thank you, Mr. Enabler! My Envoy arrived yesterday. Naturally, I shaved with it yesterday. It was a 6PM shave. I was still nearly DFS at 6:45 this morning. Just the slightest hint of stubble. The Envoy is quite substantial in hand. Hefty, full-bodied. Everything you’ve read here and elsewhere about the handle is pretty much right on target. The head is substantial but definitely not unwieldy. The top cap clamps the blade in such a way that the blade rests on a nice fulcrum on the bottom plate.

My inaugural shave with the Envoy was with a Personna Platinum Chrome and B&M Diamond, two products I know intimately. It was easy to find the right angle. In fact, the range of usable angles seemed pretty generous. This razor is very heavy in my experience. I let the weight do the shaving. First pass wtg, I let the guard be my guide. Holy smokes! Super efficiency. I could have stopped there for a DFS. Truly, I considered it. That’s how close of a shave it was. On the first pass, no less. But, how do you put down a brand new toy? So I lathered up for the second pass, a combination of XTG and ATG location dependent. For this pass I tended to ride the cap more. It was quite comfortable this way. No need to do a third pass at all, which is just fine with me. Less chance for irritation that way. Rinse, rinse, rinse... damn, wouldn’t you know it! Not a hint of redness anywhere. No sting with my B&M Diamond aftershave. A bit of shea butter to top it off and I was good to go.

It wasn’t until a good 20 hours later that I felt I could even think about shaving again. The Razor seems to be super efficient. I don’t know if I will use it a lot, it is quite heavy for me, but it really did give a very nice shave. It was very smooth, not harsh in the least. I can see it being “aggressive” when used with too much pressure. This was apparent from the first stroke. All in all I think it’s a keeper. If Matt made a thinner, lighter compatible handle for the head I’d buy it in an instant.

Compared to either of the sb Game Changers, imo the Envoy is substantially more efficient than the .68, and there’s more blade feel than the .84. The Envoy is a nice complement to both of those RR offerings. I just picked up the GC open comb .68 base plate, but haven’t used it yet, so no comparison there.

I’m looking forward to more shaves with my new Rex Envoy. It could become a very good friend. If only the handle weren’t so heavy...

Here it is with it’s “little brother,” a Star 100. The resemblance is uncanny!

[Image: mKPA0Pk.jpg][Image: A7kjtPk.jpg]

16 4,313
 05-14-2020, 10:37 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I’ve had five shaves with the Envoy in the last week and a half. This razor impresses me with each use. Despite it’s great efficiency, when used with the lightest touch possible the resulting shave is remarkably smooth, comfortable and irritation-free. I can get by with a 1 pass plus touch-ups shave with this, but prefer the smoother, bbs, face-feel from 2 passes. I find this almost counter-intuitive. The Rex Envoy definitely has some blade feel; it is very efficient; yet I get no redness at all. None. I’m getting used to the weight of it. I know there are heavier razors out there, but I’m accustomed to Techs, the smaller Evolution, etc. This is really fascinating. The heavier and more “efficient” the razor, the less redness and irritation I experience. The other razors that rank high in this category for me are the Asylum Evolution XL, rr Lupo and GC .84 on a Weber Wave handle. Slightly more ‘gressive and ‘ficient, less razor burn. Go figure..

16 4,313