09-24-2012, 08:54 PM
User Info
boy am I having trouble getting decent lathers from MNS in the tins! I've tried 3 different brushes with similar results.

does anyone else find MNS to be difficult to lather? Anyone care to make a video or take photos of their lather?!

hmn...... Huh

40 5,830
 09-24-2012, 09:00 PM
User Info
Andrew, here:
http://shavenook.com/thread-mike-s-natural-soaps--3339
It sounds like you have hard water. i would suggest two ways to go about it. Firstly, start with a wetter brush and load for double the time that you usually would, or, secondly, load with a drier brush, load for longer than you usually do and add water little by little when lathering. i wish i could post a video, but i have no camera to film.
Good luck. This is an amazing soap.

75 20,883
 09-24-2012, 09:04 PM
User Info
(09-24-2012, 09:00 PM)celestino Wrote: Andrew, here:
http://shavenook.com/thread-mike-s-natural-soaps--3339
It sounds like you have hard water. i would suggest two ways to go about it. Firstly, start with a wetter brush and load for double the time that you usually would, or, secondly, load with a drier brush, load for longer than you usually do and add water little by little when lathering. i wish i could post a video, but i have no camera to film.
Good luck. This is an amazing soap.

I do have EXTREMELY hard water. maybe I'll do some more test lathers tomorrow and start with a wetter brush.

40 5,830
 09-24-2012, 09:44 PM
User Info
Andrew,

I had a similar problem when I first started using Mikes- I have hard water as well. I have found that the soap requires A LOT of water to get going. I have also found that placing some warm water on the top of the soap for a few minutes before hand helps as well. However, once you get the water right, you'll be rewarded with some nice, rich, slick lather.

5 938
 09-24-2012, 10:05 PM
User Info
(09-24-2012, 09:44 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: Andrew,

I had a similar problem when I first started using Mikes- I have hard water as well. I have found that the soap requires A LOT of water to get going. I have also found that placing some warm water on the top of the soap for a few minutes before hand helps as well. However, once you get the water right, you'll be rewarded with some nice, rich, slick lather.

I did try putting some water on the puck directly for a few minutes while I prepped my face, but my brush was pretty dry before I went to the puck. I'll do some test lathers tomorrow with a wet brush and see how it goes.

maybe I'll take a video of it after I get the proper water ratio down.

40 5,830
 09-25-2012, 03:37 AM
User Info
I love Mike's! I usually start with a wet brush (one light shake after soaking) and load like a madman. It does require a good bit of water. I'm also using boar, that may make a difference.

2 362
 09-25-2012, 01:38 PM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
You have to treat it like MWF. You'll get amazing lather and add small drops of water as your lathering. Once you do so, you'll have a great shave.

10 963
 09-26-2012, 11:59 AM
User Info
I made a video earlier this morning using my TSN LE 2012 brush and MNS in lavender scent. let me know what you guys think!

40 5,830
 09-26-2012, 12:56 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I always have trouble with Mike's and Mystic Waters and I have medium-soft water. I can lather it but it requires about 3x the product that most of my other soaps require. I typically load for about 30 seconds and that is plenty for all of my soaps except MWF which requires about 45-60 seconds. With Mikes and MW I usually have to load for 90-120 seconds, I do get great lather in the end..but that's a lot of product. I do have to admit that I've only lathered from samples and they usually suck for lathering. I think I am done with ordering samples, they're always too small to accurately represent what lathering the full product would be like.

Take QCS for example, a long while back I ordered a sample pack of their croaps and I hated it..it took a ton of product to make even a small amount of lather, chunks of it would never melt fully and incorporate into the lather and would clump in the brush hairs. I was prepared to write QCS off, but I bought a half used tub of Celestial Woods from a member at another forum and it loaded nicely and lathered up a storm with a reasonable amount of product, now QCS is among my favorite soaps/creams. So I may end up ordering a full sized bar of Mike's and mush it into a Anchor hocking bowl for lots of surface area and try it that way before deciding..if he ever gets more bars of Rose & Cedarwood in stock that is, I really like that scent and I normally hate Rose stuff.

31 1,510
 09-26-2012, 01:06 PM
User Info
(09-26-2012, 11:59 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I made a video earlier this morning using my TSN LE 2012 brush and MNS in lavender scent. let me know what you guys think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJuKoV2v7KI&feature=plcp

Looks like you got to the sweet spot...nice video! Have you tried shaving with it since?

5 938
 09-26-2012, 01:42 PM
User Info
(09-26-2012, 12:56 PM)Arcadies Wrote: I always have trouble with Mike's and Mystic Waters and I have medium-soft water. I can lather it but it requires about 3x the product that most of my other soaps require. I typically load for about 30 seconds and that is plenty for all of my soaps except MWF which requires about 45-60 seconds. With Mikes and MW I usually have to load for 90-120 seconds, I do get great lather in the end..but that's a lot of product. I do have to admit that I've only lathered from samples and they usually suck for lathering. I think I am done with ordering samples, they're always too small to accurately represent what lathering the full product would be like.

Take QCS for example, a long while back I ordered a sample pack of their croaps and I hated it..it took a ton of product to make even a small amount of lather, chunks of it would never melt fully and incorporate into the lather and would clump in the brush hairs. I was prepared to write QCS off, but I bought a half used tub of Celestial Woods from a member at another forum and it loaded nicely and lathered up a storm with a reasonable amount of product, now QCS is among my favorite soaps/creams. So I may end up ordering a full sized bar of Mike's and mush it into a Anchor hocking bowl for lots of surface area and try it that way before deciding..if he ever gets more bars of Rose & Cedarwood in stock that is, I really like that scent and I normally hate Rose stuff.

I now see this...needing more product. I think I'm going to load for a touch longer the next time I use MNS.

(09-26-2012, 01:06 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote:
(09-26-2012, 11:59 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I made a video earlier this morning using my TSN LE 2012 brush and MNS in lavender scent. let me know what you guys think!

Looks like you got to the sweet spot...nice video! Have you tried shaving with it since?

I haven't, no. Maybe tomorrow or Friday I'll give it a try.

40 5,830
 09-26-2012, 03:20 PM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info

Nice video!

6 235
 09-26-2012, 06:39 PM
User Info
(09-26-2012, 03:20 PM)JaDo Wrote:

Nice video!

thanks!

40 5,830
 09-26-2012, 07:56 PM
User Info
What you do in the video is how I lather Mike's. I use a wet brush and load it heavily. The resulting lather is kind of gel-like (I don't mean shaving gel) in that it is not voluminous and lies close to the skin. Ends up working very well for me.

30 275
 09-26-2012, 08:45 PM
User Info
Good to see you are getting on with Mike's, Andrew!

75 20,883
 09-27-2012, 04:06 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Nice video!

I think that this is one of the reason that I like Mike's in the bar version.
I put it in a Gladware rectangular tub and it leaves plenty of room to get lots of product with a wetter brush without making a lather spill-over mess. The bar's bigger surface area makes it easier for me to load the brush as well.

Once you get the method down pat, there is no denying the superiority of this soap.

6 905
 09-28-2012, 07:37 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Thanks for sharing the video Andrew Biggrin

I know that just about all my soaps that I have bought require me to test lather by hand, just to get a *feel* for how they will load, and what amount of water it takes to get the heavy-whipping cream texture I like.

The hard soaps seem to be the ones that need more time for me to adjust/get used to

9 1,684