01-12-2020, 07:37 PM
User Info
So I believe having matured as shaver, I have come to prefer badger brushes in the 22 to 18mm range knot. I don’t think I’m crazy in saying that the whims of the masses have shifted way toward larger brushes.

My question is why? Personally, I prefer the smaller brush in badger because for me, I find I make better lather with a smaller brush and it is less sloppy and more precise. I appreciate being more precise when face lathering, and not having lather all over my ears or flying all over the bathroom.
So why do you all prefer a larger brush and what smaller brushes have you spent some significant time with as a comparison?
I’m interested in seeing the reasons (N.B. I don’t have the same preferences in boar bristle brushes).

97 966
 01-12-2020, 08:04 PM
User Info
I couldn’t really say but my personal preferences are in the 24mm to 26mm range.
If the knot is set correctly you shouldn’t find the brush to be floppy at all.

I do find, however, that those sizes give me enough lather for 2 passes, a third one if needed, pickups and confort lather face wash.

For traveling I do use 20mm, simply because the are handy to pack and dry quicker. Don’t get as the same amount of lather out of them but they do a very nice job.

Greetings from Santa Rosa, CA

0 200
 01-12-2020, 08:19 PM
User Info
For people with um....large...hands Wink

0 16
 01-12-2020, 08:44 PM
User Info
I too refer larger knots in the 26mm range.  I triple-pass and like the extra soap and I don't feel I have an extraordinarily large face.  Face lathering works great and I don't get avalanches with lather.  For me it's all about that big brush face feel.

6 485
 01-12-2020, 08:44 PM
User Info
I slowly gravitated towards larger knots as I enjoy the larger surface area for the face massage ( I face-lather, exclusively), they hold more lather and I do enjoy a thick and voluminous lather. In addition, these larger knots are definitely helping exhaust my large soap collection.  Smile

Most of my brushes are 30 + mm and five of them being over 34 mm +, all five XL were acquired on the BSTs on various shaving forums. Seeing as the prices were extremely reasonable and on par with smaller knots, how could I resist the great value? 
After using these larger knots, I doubt I could go back to anything smaller than 28 mm. The only 'drawback' with these larger knots is that they require more soap and a bit more time to generate lather with; not much more time though.

92 21,298
 01-13-2020, 12:22 AM
User Info
Why indeed? I think it's a matter of personal preferences and to some extent changing fads... While I do enjoy my two large brushes - an Omega and a Artisania Romera - i enjoys my smaller brushes just as much. Like anything else in shaving, there isn't any "one right answer" - only what is "right for you".

3 6,803
 01-13-2020, 06:06 AM
User Info
Feels more luxurious as opposed to more utilitarian.

1 533
 01-13-2020, 06:50 AM
User Info
One man gathers what another man spills.

63 1,650
 01-13-2020, 08:23 AM
User Info
(01-13-2020, 12:22 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Why indeed? I think it's a matter of personal preferences and to some extent changing fads... While I do enjoy my two large brushes - an Omega and a Artisania Romera - i enjoys my smaller brushes just as much. Like anything else in shaving, there isn't any "one right answer" - only what is "right for you".

That was the word or phrase I was searching for an could not put my finger on -- a changing fad.  Oh well, it's been maybe two years since I have used a larger brush so maybe I will find a nice chubby 2 and take another plunge.  Or maybe not.  Time will tell.  What I would really like to find is a smallish Plisson in horn with one of their two-bands, whatever they call that  grade of brush.  Just not something that comes on the BST very often, or at all.

97 966
 01-13-2020, 09:02 AM
User Info
I prefer brushes with 26-28mm bulb knots.  The larger knots just feel better on my face.

60 9,845
 01-13-2020, 09:46 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
In terms of badger hair, I do tend to go for bigger knots of 26mm to 32mm, and tend to dislike anything below 24mm, unless the bristles are firm and allow for proper backbone.

Being a bowl latherer, precision when applying the lather isn't as important to me, and I simply love a more intense face feel, be it a luxurious soft or a scrubbier one.

27 5,258
 01-13-2020, 09:55 AM
User Info
I like to face lather with shaving sticks... 20-22mm fan knots with a free loft in the mid 40's are my preference, anything larger just feels clumsy to me. I will say my hands aren't shovels so that may have something to do with it.

1 187
 01-13-2020, 10:17 AM
User Info
(01-13-2020, 06:06 AM)bkatbamna Wrote: Feels more luxurious as opposed to more utilitarian.

Same for me.  I enjoy a range of brush knot sizes, but the really large ones just have a rich decadent feel to them that is pleasurable occasionally.

239 13,915
 01-13-2020, 11:01 AM
User Info
(01-12-2020, 07:37 PM)chromedometone Wrote: So I believe having matured as shaver, I have come to prefer badger brushes in the 22 to 18mm range knot.   I don’t think I’m crazy in saying that the whims of the masses have shifted way toward larger brushes.  

My question is why?   Personally, I prefer the smaller brush in badger because for me, I find I make better lather with a smaller brush and it is less sloppy and more precise.  I appreciate being more precise when face lathering, and not having lather all over my ears or flying all over the bathroom.  
So why do you all prefer a larger brush and what smaller brushes have you spent some significant time with as a comparison?  
I’m interested in seeing the reasons (N.B.  I don’t have the same preferences in boar bristle brushes).

I was born with big cheeks!   Biggrin

If the world banished larger brushes, I could cope with 22 or 24mm.  But my sweet spot is 26mm.

9 193
 01-13-2020, 11:16 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
There really is something nice about a large knot. They hold heat better and just feel more luxurious. It is a bit more of a pain to make lather because it takes a little longer but the overall experience is nicer.

33 943
 01-13-2020, 01:54 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I’ve grown to prefer 26mm brushes. They make up the majority of my cete (etymologically speaking, the collective noun for referring to a group of badgers); ~2/3 of my collection is that size. I have some smaller and some larger, but 26 is my sweet spot. They’re just right for my face. regardless of the shape, fan, bulb or anything in between. The Chubby 3 is ~30mm and satisfies my need for dense, wall of badger. Two or three  brushes on my shelf are ~22mm. I don’t reach for them as often as the larger ones. In a way, my face-brain equates the feeling of larger brushes with “luxury.” My face-brain likes that feeling Biggrin

15 3,885
 01-13-2020, 03:24 PM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
As has been said earlier, it really boils down to personal preference--and, I think, fashion.  50% of the brushes we sell are 28mm, ~40% 26mm, 9+% 30mm, and less than 1% 22's and 24's. (Go figure.) 

I have brushes ranging from ~18mm up to 32mm in my personal collection.  Many are what I'll call "test" and prototype brushes made to evaluate new and prospective knots and/or handle patterns.  Personally, I find 22mm--26mm to be my sweet spot--but prefer "up-sized" handles to accommodate my larger than average hands ( Biggrin ). Case in point, we just shipped a custom 26mm brush made on a 28mm-size handle; so I suspect I'm not alone in that.

4 957
 01-13-2020, 04:14 PM
User Info
I do four-pass shaves, going all the way down the neck to my collarbones. Anything less than a 26mm seems to struggle holding enough lather for my needs. I also like larger handles and loading heavy. I have ten brushes: two are 26mm, eight are 28mm.

slightly off-topic: I also like loading from larger containers. more soap loading per swirl Biggrin

36 1,954
 01-13-2020, 04:35 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
What I don’t like is the combination of a large diameter knot and a lower loft.  My perfect badger is a 22 to 24 knot with more than a 2:1 loft, usually in a 3-band silvertip.  I lather on my face exclusively (lathering in a bowl seems redundant) and I find a 22X45 3-band badger to be perfect.  In this case bigger is not better.  This fascination with big knots will soon pass. Tongue

9 1,127
 01-14-2020, 11:20 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
(01-13-2020, 11:16 AM)NJDJ Wrote: There really is something nice about a large knot. They hold heat better and just feel more luxurious. It is a bit more of a pain to make lather because it takes a little longer but the overall experience is nicer.

Signs011

45 2,091