01-21-2020, 05:13 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(01-20-2020, 06:39 PM)old school Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 11:51 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote: I do have a few 20-22mm Pure Badger knots I bought years ago sitting around and could make an EveryReady 1000 copy (one of my favorites) or even a Gus around one.  (Frankly, Pure Badger is vastly underrated these days, IMO.)  

Uh oh, is one of them Bernd's perfectly shaped bulbs?

Ha-ha!  I wish.  But no, they're not Bernd's.  They are however very nicely shaped bulbs.  I used one to re-knot an old EverReady 1000 and love it.  It lathers like crazy, releases lather better than any synthetic I've tried, and has just the right amount of scritch.  It's not a dense knot to be sure; but with Pure Badger, I wouldn't want the density of a Finest or Silvertip for obvious reasons.  Tongue

4 957
 01-21-2020, 11:00 PM
User Info
I say most of the reasons why have been well covered. I concur with celestino and share a very similar story. People on the forums talking about larger brushes being better got me into buying them, and I couldn't see it at first. I bought some brushes, felt the handles were too big, made my hands cramp, but over time found the smaller handles did the same. Then over time I started gravitating towards larger knots like celestino. I enjoyed the larger surface area for the face massage, I got plenty of soap to use so using it up faster is good, and over time those big girthy handles just felt great. Couple that with the great value of these larger brushes. Don't have as many 34mm+ brushes, but I definitely collected a few of those through BST, not to mention other great large brush options.

I believe wholeheartedly in fads, or flavor of the month as it was termed on other hobby sites I frequent coming into the equation. The forums and what they are talking about has a part to deal with it. Over time I have delved into that, found my preferences, and formed my own opinions through testing. I don't share the love of the gel tip brushes like so many do now, and honestly that has cut down significantly on what I get in brushes. I'm not against gel tip per say, but I'm extremely picky about what I classify as gel tip. Rooney 2-band Heritage is the gold standard of gel tip to me, and honestly the closest I've found to it is B1. That even doesn't match it perfectly. My preference is that I like soft, but I want some presence in the tips so that I can feel it work. A slight tickle as I think of it. Overall I really do prefer 3-band Silvertip, but I dabble in 2-band. I can only use those every other day as they are too harsh on my face to use daily, and the face feel of 3-band just works better in terms of not being too harsh, but still having enough tip presence to give that face feel I like. It fits my preconceived notion I had formed of what a shaving brush would be like before I ever started this.

I like higher lofts typically that allow better flowthrough, and typically you find that in spades in larger brushes. Smaller brushes can have this as well, and I have several beloved options for small lather champs. The largest reason I could give for my love of larger brushes really is they just match up right now for what I want to use, and that's where my preference has shifted to at the moment. I fully expect the smaller brushes to start making their way back into my rotation with time for what I personally want to use, and people talking about smaller brushes they are enjoying will remind me of what I have and bring me back to those. I know this works this way for me as I recently saw a large ebonite Shavemac brush for sale and was tempted to buy it as it fits with what I'm currently enjoying to use, and then I recalled that's a bit silly as I already own that exact brush.  24

33 967
 01-22-2020, 07:17 AM
User Info
If 26-28 mm is large, then I prefer large brushes.

Handles are too small on smaller brushes. Knots smaller than 24 mm can’t hold enough lather for my preferences.

25 6,699
 01-22-2020, 08:14 AM
User Info
I think it depends if what kind of hair it is. For badger 26-28mm is perfect, for synthetic atleast 26mm is needed.
And for boar, like it around 24mm as it spreads out so much.

0 27
 01-25-2020, 12:46 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
When it comes to knots, hair type, I can tell the differences but it doesn't make much of a difference to me.  I do have shape preferences though, fan for me unless its 28mm or bigger. At that point it doesn't matter as much to me.

8 2,718
 Yesterday, 05:55 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I’m like brushes as I am with straight razor widths. I like all sizes and all widths but I don’t like all brushes or all razors. They’re both handmade and some are just better than others. I’m mostly a Simpsons and Rooney person, with some exceptions.

8 788
 9 hours ago
User Info
I don't own a ton of brushes but they're all either 24mm or 26mm except for one that is a 28mm boar. I've tried bigger knots and just don't care for them. On the other hand, the smaller knots (20mm and 22mm) I've actually enjoyed quite a bit. I mostly use straights with two full passes and a cleanup and I also bowl lather. So my lather needs aren't enormous and what doesn't fit in the knot can be found sitting in my bowl. As it has been said repeatedly though, it all comes down to personal preference.

0 2