01-14-2020, 08:26 PM
User Info
Hey All:

I was brainstorming this morning as I shaved with Martin de Candre’s Agrumes soap. It is a lovely scent, probably their most well-balanced and least harsh scent. So, I thought of a task to post to the forum. I apologize if this is a repeat, but I thought it would make for a great discussion.

List your favorite soap maker (or at least one with limited or few scents), and list what scent you WISH they would make.

Mine is Martin de Candre for the soap, and I wish they would make a Bay Rum scent.

Tag, you’re it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 2
 01-14-2020, 08:35 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Hi. Welcome to TSN.

I’m mostly an unscented soap guy. Mike and Shannon still make unscented, but I sure wish Will at Barrister&Mann would reintroduce an unscented soap to the line. I know it doesn’t sell great, but hey - would it hurt once in a while to fill a dozen tubs before adding scent to the mix?

15 3,885
 01-14-2020, 08:38 PM
User Info
(01-14-2020, 08:35 PM)chazt Wrote: Hi. Welcome to TSN.

I’m mostly an unscented soap guy. Mike and Shannon still make unscented, but I sure wish Will at Barrister&Mann would reintroduce an unscented soap to the line. I know it doesn’t sell great, but hey - would it hurt once in a while to fill a dozen tubs before adding scent to the mix?

You know, I really appreciate your view. And yes, they probably have dozens of test batches that are unscented. They could probably make money off those for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 2
 01-15-2020, 12:05 AM
User Info
I have only Just bought MDC rose and it is by far my fav scent of any soap. So pure but understated, lingers after the shave. So much so, that idbe happy to use this for life! My other fav soaps are SV And Meißner. I wish THEY had the same quality of Rose.
I also like Haslinger.  Wish they did a nice scent. The better soaps mentioned do not irritate my face like cheaper soaps tend to.

0 197
 01-15-2020, 07:15 AM
User Info
I would be very interested if MDC produced an menthol/eucalyptus scent.

45 247
 01-15-2020, 07:29 AM
User Info
I wish Zingari would make a lavender and Sandalwood/bergamot in the Sego base

19 699
 01-15-2020, 07:37 AM
User Info
I am pretty much on the same boat as Charlie (@chazt). Only thing is, I wish more soap makers kept lanolin out the formulation, at least from the unscented versions.

9 1,547
 01-15-2020, 07:58 AM
User Info
One of my two favorite CRSW scents is Olfactory Hue, which is only available in the Glide base.  However, I prefer the Select base.  Thus, I'd like for CRSW to release the Olfactory Hue scent in the Select base.

60 9,836
 01-15-2020, 08:17 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(01-15-2020, 07:37 AM)lloydrm Wrote: I am pretty much on the same boat as Charlie (@chazt). Only thing is, I wish more soap makers kept lanolin out the formulation, at least from the unscented versions.

It seems there’s a lot of people who feel as you do about lanolin. Fortunately I’m not sensitive to lanolin in my soap, but clearly it is a problem for some. You’d think the soapmakers would try to make such a product available. Yes, it’s a niche product, but isn’t “traditional wet shaving” a niche market as it is?

15 3,885
 01-16-2020, 02:33 AM
User Info
Gasoline. Seriously, I love that smell.

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/01/petrol...tnTPGE6v1g

1 186
 01-16-2020, 03:55 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-14-2020, 08:26 PM)AMOB79 Wrote: List your favorite soap maker (or at least one with limited or few scents), and list what scent you WISH they would make.

Favorite soap maker: Michelle Burns/Mystic Water.

The magic scent is the original West Indian Limes scent from St. Johns, then sold as an aftershave in the woven palm frond bottle.  St. Johns also made a shower soap with the same scent.

As you can guess from the name, the dominant note in the scent is lime, but that is not the whole story.  St. Johns originally gained fame as a maker of a superior bay rum, and bay rum was present in West Indian Lime, but subservient, like the pinch of salt in a bowl of good oatmeal that does not make the oatmeal taste salty, but makes the oatmeal taste better.  There is also a soupçon of vetiver in the mix, even more subdued than the bay rum.  Make no mistake:  the scent is strongly lime, but it is an enhanced lime, not merely the scent of juice squeezed from the fruit.

(I refer to the St. Johns West Indian Lime in the past tense, because it has been half a century since I purchased a bottle of the aftershave.  I rarely use aftershave at all any more, and, anyway, in the last 60 years, the price of St. Johns West Indian Lime has risen to a point where it exceeds my budget limit.)

1 1,404
 01-16-2020, 08:00 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Valobra x Penhaligon's English Fern
I wouldn't leave the bathroom Smile

91 3,841
 01-16-2020, 08:22 PM
User Info
I wish Penhaligon's (or whoever has made their tallow-based soaps in the past) would offer Hammam Bouquet, Castile, and Racquets Formula soaps.

239 13,911
 01-17-2020, 08:20 AM
User Info
If someone could make a good soap or cream with the scent of my mother's meatballs frying on the stove it would be greatly appreciated.

96 966
 01-17-2020, 05:18 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(01-16-2020, 08:22 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I wish Penhaligon's (or whoever has made their tallow-based soaps in the past) would offer Hammam Bouquet, Castile, and Racquets Formula soaps.
....or English Fern Smile

91 3,841
 01-18-2020, 04:27 AM
User Info
I read that Gwyneth Paltrow has an interesting candle scent, which might make a fun shave soap...

75 5,741
 01-18-2020, 05:54 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(01-16-2020, 03:55 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 08:26 PM)AMOB79 Wrote: List your favorite soap maker (or at least one with limited or few scents), and list what scent you WISH they would make.

Favorite soap maker:  Michelle Burns/Mystic Water.

The magic scent is the original West Indian Limes scent from St. Johns, then sold as an aftershave in the woven palm frond bottle.  St. Johns also made a shower soap with the same scent.

As you can guess from the name, the dominant note in the scent is lime, but that is not the whole story.  St. Johns originally gained fame as a maker of a superior bay rum, and bay rum was present in West Indian Lime, but subservient, like the pinch of salt in a bowl of good oatmeal that does not make the oatmeal taste salty, but makes the oatmeal taste better.  There is also a soupçon of vetiver in the mix, even more subdued than the bay rum.  Make no mistake:  the scent is strongly lime, but it is an enhanced lime, not merely the scent of juice squeezed from the fruit.

(I refer to the St. Johns West Indian Lime in the past tense, because it has been half a century since I purchased a bottle of the aftershave.  I rarely use aftershave at all any more, and, anyway, in the last 60 years, the price of St. Johns West Indian Lime has risen to a point where it exceeds my budget limit.)

Finally, someone who understands...

15 3,885
 01-18-2020, 10:56 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-18-2020, 04:27 AM)primotenore Wrote: I read that Gwyneth Paltrow has an interesting candle scent, which might make a fun shave soap...

. . . which necessarily posits the question: does your source have intimate personal knowledge of the scent of Gwyneth Paltrow? Angel

1 1,404
 01-18-2020, 11:08 AM
User Info
(01-18-2020, 10:56 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 04:27 AM)primotenore Wrote: I read that Gwyneth Paltrow has an interesting candle scent, which might make a fun shave soap...

. . . which necessarily posits the question:  does your source have intimate personal knowledge of the scent of Gwyneth Paltrow?    Angel
I don't know. The candles are sold out.  Biggrin

75 5,741
 01-19-2020, 06:02 AM
User Info
(01-14-2020, 08:35 PM)chazt Wrote: Hi. Welcome to TSN.

I agree on this. Even if they put aside 10 tubs. They would sell. I use only unscented and wish other artisans would follow this.

0 111