01-16-2020, 09:43 AM
User Info
Hello! I used to be active here when the site was getting started, but I've been off the grid for the last few years. I had the AD pretty bad, you see, so I worked on eliminating a bunch of supplies and trying use up what I had.

Now, I'm seeking suggestions for a "daily driver" soap. By that I mean something that could be used every day (wouldn't irritate skin after 3 consecutive days, for example), and wouldn't compete with other scents, like a cologne.

For the last couple of years I've been using Cella soap and Myrsol Acqua Balsamica for aftershave. This has been a pretty good combination because the Cella doesn't have a strong scent, and the AB dissipates rather quickly. I think I'm sticking with the AB but am interested in trying another soap now.

In addition to Cella, I have a tube of Italian Palmolive that I use on occasion in the summer, a tube of Rose of Bulgaria, and a Palmolive stick for travel.

I think my skin doesn't like lanolin or something else in MWF, which is about the only other unobtrusive soap I know. I tried the Proraso sandalwood in a tub but didn't like it compared to the cream, and I'd like to stick with a soap. I like Tabac but I don't know if I can handle it as an everyday soap, and I think the scent lingers more than I would like.

I've been considering something by Saponificio Varesino but am interested in your suggestions! Again, something you could use every day and a scent that won't compete with cologne. Thanks!

4 115
 01-16-2020, 10:01 AM
User Info
Hi, a lot of soaps also irritate after 3 days! SV is fantastic,  any variety. 

The other soaps which I would only use are MDC, and Meißner Tremona. Both VERY Kind to my skin. Maybe the unscented versions wouldn't interfere with your cologne,  but others may be better in advising as I don't use aftershave etc.

0 197
 01-16-2020, 10:46 AM
User Info
Two I have been using recently are Zingari in the Sego Base, and Long Rifle Soap Co shave soap.

They are both pretty fantastic, and neither will break the bank!

Vr

Matt

35 2,046
 01-16-2020, 11:04 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Had I to choose one soap for year round usage, it would be either:

Grooming Dept Asinus (any of the latest Donkey Milk formulations such as Lemon Bay) or new Kairos base soap forthcoming

or 

Wholly Kaw new Siero base soap

Have a Primanti on me!

In fact, PM me and will send a sample

4 473
 01-16-2020, 01:11 PM
User Info
CRSW American Barbershop

63 1,641
 01-16-2020, 02:07 PM
User Info
(01-16-2020, 11:04 AM)DanLaw Wrote: Had I to choose one soap for year round usage, it would be either:

Grooming Dept Asinus (any of the latest Donkey Milk formulations such as Lemon Bay) or new Kairos base soap forthcoming

or 

Have a Primanti on me!

Primanti Brothers...a drunken college kid’s dream meal at the end of an evening of debauchery!

Vr

Matt

35 2,046
 01-16-2020, 03:10 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
(01-16-2020, 02:07 PM)Ols67 Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 11:04 AM)DanLaw Wrote: Had I to choose one soap for year round usage, it would be either:

or 

Have a Primanti on me!

Primanti Brothers...a drunken college kid’s dream meal at the end of an evening of debauchery!

Vr

Matt
Hell, even as an old slow fat man, would have a roast beef extra slaw, tomatoes and fries with hot sauce mid run. Builds character

4 473
 01-16-2020, 05:33 PM
User Info
I was going to recommend Mike's but it has lanolin. Otherwise, Meißner Tremonia (I like Dark Limes but Pots of Milk could be a nice, low scent option), Tabula Rasa Light Creme or a stick of Speick are my recommendations.

2 151
 01-16-2020, 05:43 PM
User Info
(01-16-2020, 03:10 PM)DanLaw Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 02:07 PM)Ols67 Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 11:04 AM)DanLaw Wrote: Have a Primanti on me!

Vr

Matt
Hell, even as an old slow fat man, would have a roast beef extra slaw, tomatoes and fries with hot sauce mid run. Builds character

Capicola or go home, fellas!

4 115
 01-16-2020, 05:45 PM
User Info
Lots of new brands for me. I will read up on them. Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

4 115
 01-16-2020, 05:50 PM
User Info
Another vote for Zingari Sego, whatever flavor you like

19 699
 01-16-2020, 08:25 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Zingari Sego soap is hard (maybe impossible) to beat. Amazing shaving soap and definitely the best post shave I've had of anything. That's after 1 shave. However I personally don't think I could do any of their 3 scents I own for more than a couple days at a time. They're not bad scents (but I can't say I LOVE them either)... just not scents I could do long term. I look forward to other scent releases in the Sego base.

Disclaimer... There are VERY FEW SCENTS that I could do everyday. My preferences for scent change with the season/weather (literally).

So, that said, a scent I could do every day/season/weather type/holiday/mood/activity is MDC Fougere.

91 3,835