01-17-2020, 10:31 AM
User Info
Gents,

Minor dust up recently on people having a difference of opinion on Nuavia, and there potentially being a change in formula.

I bought mine a little over a year ago, and this was only the third time I scooped it.  Whatever batch I got...it is SUPERB!  TOP TIER all the way!

I also really really enjoy the black!

Vr

Matt

[Image: LtRa40K.jpg][Image: GAAwJDe.jpg][Image: mtxuiz2.jpg][Image: SJaEIf3.jpg]

35 2,203
 01-17-2020, 11:39 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Matt, your lather photos all seem to look the same, no matter what soap you're whipping up, making me think that it has as much to do with your technique as it does with the soap. I have to resist pulling the trigger on a particular soap after seeing your lather shots. Enjoy the Blu.

38 6,195
 01-17-2020, 11:40 AM
User Info
That lather looks like it needs some water!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

0 27
 01-17-2020, 12:05 PM
User Info
(01-17-2020, 11:39 AM)evnpar Wrote: Matt, your lather photos all seem to look the same, no matter what soap you're whipping up, making me think that it has as much to do with your technique as it does with the soap. I have to resist pulling the trigger on a particular soap after seeing your lather shots. Enjoy the Blu.

Hi Richard! Yes...the lathers have been looking very similar lately, and I have been very very please with all the soaps I have been using recently!

I think it is my technique as well...I radically changed it. I mostly use that huge singing bowl now, and I have been adding 1/2 tsp of distilled water at a time until the lather gets to the right consistency for my tastes. It is much more controlled this way.

It does take a little more time and effort, but it has been working really really well for me!

Thanks, and have a great weekend!

Vr

Matt

35 2,203
 01-17-2020, 12:09 PM
User Info
(01-17-2020, 11:40 AM)sgrdddy Wrote: That lather looks like it needs some water!

YES!!!! More water!

Hey man...are the the guy that does the YouTube videos?

If so, thanks for putting those out for everyone! I looked at your big 3D printed bowl, and said to myself, “That looks ridiculous...but this dude’s lathers are amazing!” So...I bought this ridiculously huge singing bowl, and it’s been working exceedingly well for me. I also started using the syringe to add water to the lather after watching your videos!

Vr

Matt

35 2,203
 01-17-2020, 12:18 PM
User Info
Best scent from Nuavia for me Smile

7 202
 01-17-2020, 12:30 PM
User Info
(01-17-2020, 12:18 PM)zennhorst Wrote: Best scent from Nuavia for me Smile

Hey Przemek! I hope that all is well for you! Happy New Year!

Vr

Matt

35 2,203
 01-17-2020, 01:07 PM
User Info
(01-17-2020, 12:09 PM)Ols67 Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 11:40 AM)sgrdddy Wrote: That lather looks like it needs some water!

YES!!!! More water!

If so, thanks for putting those out for everyone! I looked at your big 3D printed bowl, and said to myself, “That looks ridiculous...but this dude’s lathers are amazing!” So...I bought this ridiculously huge singing bowl, and it’s been working exceedingly well for me. I also started using the syringe to add water to the lather after watching your videos!

Vr

Matt
Yep. That's me.

I'm glad you're enjoying them!

And I think we had an online conversation a little bit about the singing bowl. Can you give me a link to yours and the dimensions? Amazon has so many I got tired of looking to try to find the right size. But I think it could be a great option. I believe yours looks like a pretty good size for my preferences as well.

0 27
 01-17-2020, 01:15 PM
User Info

YES!!!! More water!

Vr

Matt
Years ago, I started with medium sized bowls and ended up increasing the size until the lather stayed in the bowl.

My big 3D bowl may be too roomy when using a couple of my smaller boar brushes, but for everything else it's perfect.

0 27
 01-17-2020, 02:06 PM
User Info
(01-17-2020, 01:07 PM)sgrdddy Wrote:

YES!!!! More water!

Vr

Matt
Yep. That's me.

I'm glad you're enjoying them!

And I think we had an online conversation a little bit about the singing bowl. Can you give me a link to yours and the dimensions? Amazon has so many I got tired of looking to try to find the right size. But I think it could be a great option. I believe yours looks like a pretty good size for my preferences as well.

Sure...let me look in my eBay, and I will PM you the seller.

Vr

Matt

35 2,203
 01-17-2020, 03:19 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Please pm us all re vendor. Also please post your link for technique and stepwise directions to do it.

5 517
 01-17-2020, 03:55 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Great photos as always, Matt! Thanks for sharing them!

Blu is ready to be used tomorrow morning...

60 2,710
 01-17-2020, 05:40 PM
User Info
(01-17-2020, 03:19 PM)DanLaw Wrote: Please pm us all re vendor. Also please post your link for technique and stepwise directions to do it.

Dan,

The eBay vendor for the singing bowl is named everestfairtrade12. If you type in “singing bowl” into the search, it is one of the first ones that comes up.

The bowl is quite large and heavy, but that does not bother me at all.

Technique:

1. I fill up a tea cup with distilled water, and I soak the brush while I am in the shower.

2. Also, before hoping into the shower, I scrape the soap off of the puck, and press it into the bottom of the bowl. I then place 8-10 drops of distilled water on the soap in the bottom of the bowl. I know it is exactly 8-10 drops because I add it with a syringe. After the shower I shake out all excess water from the brush, and I start swirling it on the soap in the bottom of the bowl.

Or

If it is a puck that I load the brush on...I shake out all the water, and load the brush for 20 seconds (10 seconds clockwise and 10 seconds counterclockwise). Then I put 8-10 drops in the bottom of the bowl, and start swirling the brush on the bottom of the bowl.

3. Once I start swirling the brush at the bottom of the bowl, I do it until the soap gets pastey. At this point I add 1/2 tsp of distilled water, and then start swirling the brush at the bottom again. I repeated this process of swirling, adding 1/2 tsp of water, swirling, adding, swirling, and so on and so forth until I have the EXACT consistency of lather that I want for shaving.

NOTE: As this process occurs the lather gets on the outer ring of the bowl under the in-turned lip. As it builds up under there, I will take it out with the brush, move it to the center of the bowl, and pump the brush up and down on it before swirling and adding water again...this gets ride of any air bubbles.

This whole process has been yielding the densest, slickest, creamiest, and most wonderful lathers that I have been able to make! I think that the huge bowl really allows this process to fully occur, and adding 1/2 tsp at a time has been allowing me to REALLY control and dial in the water content of the lather.

It takes a little bit of extra time and effort, but so far it has been working really well for me.

That is how I have been doing it!

Vr

Matt

35 2,203
 01-17-2020, 05:41 PM
User Info
(01-17-2020, 03:55 PM)nikos.a Wrote: Great photos as always, Matt! Thanks for sharing them!

Blu is ready to be used tomorrow morning...

Thanks Nick! I hope that you have a great shave!

Vr

Matt

35 2,203
 01-17-2020, 05:45 PM
User Info
SGRDDDY makes some really nice lathers in his videos on YouTube, and I stole some ideas from him.

Vr

Matt

35 2,203
 01-18-2020, 04:00 PM
User Info
Whipped this up today with the technique listed above.

Vr

Matt

[Image: x2nyEWQ.jpg][Image: 5ebROfc.jpg][Image: 2BCbaqE.jpg][Image: wTUg9AC.jpg]

35 2,203
 01-21-2020, 02:20 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
God I hope this doesn't come off sounding wrong , but if I'm using a good soap or cream, and why bother using anything but, I end up with a great lather no matter the what or the how. Bloom or not, bowl with ridges or smooth. When I first started wet shaving all I could do was face lathering.  It took quite awhile to dial in how to bowl lather but now ....and I have somewhat hard water.

8 2,732
 01-21-2020, 03:05 PM
User Info
I don’t think that came off sounding wrong my friend! I think that there are a thousand ways to skin the cat, and quality is quality!

I just find that dialing in the lather by adding a little bit of distilled water at a time with the syringe really works well for me.

Have a great week!

Vr

Matt

35 2,203
 01-21-2020, 03:13 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(01-21-2020, 03:05 PM)Ols67 Wrote: I don’t think that came off sounding wrong my friend!  I think that there are a thousand ways to skin the cat, and quality is quality!

I just find that dialing in the lather by adding a little bit of distilled water at a time with the syringe really works well for me.

Have a great week!

Vr

Matt
Thank you Ols. May I say that I've been lucky enough to have tried the different Nuavias and I found the blue the most to my liking although they were all wonderful fragrances.

8 2,732
 01-23-2020, 06:16 PM
User Info
Is Nuavia Blue a cold weather scent or is good year round?

3 12