02-26-2012, 02:53 PM
User Info
I guess in keeping with the other topic (http://www.shavenook.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=17), what are the undertouted shaving products that you love?

(Note: I'm still too new to this stuff to contribute, but a thread like this will help me and other newbies to find the hidden jewels out there.)

Mark

0 48
 02-26-2012, 02:59 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
That's a tough one. Well...you do not hear a lot about the Italian Palmolive Shave Cream (around $8.00), the Palmolive shave sticks (around $4.00) or the Wilkinson Sword shave sticks but they are excellent products. The Italiam Palmolive cream is among my favorites.

Welcome to The Nook! I am glad you found us here. bn

45 16,362
 02-26-2012, 03:06 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
bullgoose Wrote:That's a tough one. Well...you do not hear a lot about the Italian Palmolive Shave Cream (around $8.00), the Palmolive shave sticks (around $4.00) or the Wilkinson Sword shave sticks but they are excellent products. The Italiam Palmolive cream is among my favorites.

Welcome to The Nook! I am glad you found us here. bn

I agree 100% with Phil on this one. Phil told me about the Palomolive creams and both are in my regular rotation now. Some of the best products out there.

173 23,554
 02-26-2012, 04:37 PM
User Info
As a shave oil and shave cream, I'm enjoying the Pacific Shave Company. I use the oil as a 'pre-shave'. The 'low lather' moniker doesn't mean it isn't silky smooth; just not the old school.

Personally, there isn't much choice in blades. My beard is pretty heavy and only a few really work well for me. I would suggest that this is a YMMV type of thing. A lot of the guys and galls here will try a lot of different blades. Others of us really settle into a few after a while. You know the drill... get a bunch of different samplers. Phil (Bullgoose) can set you up with everything from cheap to expensive, mild to sharp. I actually don't know of any cheap, sharp blades. The sharpening process seems to put them in one category or another as far as expense.

Some of my favorite brushes are my 2 bands from Tony Turchetta (Penchetta). FYA, there is a difference between 'Penchetta' brushes and 'Penworks' that he also sells at a lower price.

Early iKons are rather special to me. Greg really knows his stuff. Unfortunately, by his recent pricing, he also knows that now.

2 546
 02-26-2012, 05:23 PM
User Info
C&E Soaps
TOBS Soaps
Vulfix Boars
Muhle Synthetics
Lord Razor Blades
P&G Old Spice
Prep Cream

2 697
 02-26-2012, 06:26 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
MEM shaving cream

2 11,211
 02-26-2012, 06:30 PM
  • Craig
  • Not a ragin Cajun; a mild mannered one
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
Phil's right about the palmolive products. Great stuff. For soaps, I'd say that Speick and Vitos are way underrated. Razors: the Micromatic open comb, AS products: Boosters and 444ASB.

6 119
 02-26-2012, 07:28 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
It's no longer the case, but when I got my first Semogue shaving brush, in late 2008, they were almost totally unknown in the US. I had once lived in Portugal, so I decided that I had to try the Portuguese product, even though I had given up on finding a silvertip brush with the performance characteristics that I sought. The brush was a 2015 and when I got it, I was blown away, as it was exactly what I had been looking for all along! I've bought a few more Semogue brushes, in badger and in boar, since that time!

I remember wondering what it would take for Semogue to get the recognition it deserved!

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-26-2012, 08:27 PM
User Info
Gem Micromatics -- especially the open comb
Gem Heavy Flat Top (aka G-Bar)
Schick Injectors
De Vergulde Hand soaps & sticks
Vulfix Super Badger brushes

31 7,914
 02-26-2012, 08:38 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Brian, I think the GEM Micromatics are undertouted because they target a very narrow cross-section of wetshavers who seek a very aggressive razor. I have very sensitive skin and I find the Heavy Flat Top/G-bar and Featherweight rather aggressive as it is. The 1912 is altogether too aggressive for me, though I like the ergonomics and the aural feedback of the razor. So, I wouldn't even consider trying a Micromatic, as lovely as they are.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-27-2012, 02:21 AM
User Info
Hi Mark,

I love a few basics. I always have a big bottle of the spanish after shave Floïd "vigoroso" (the orange bottle not the blue). Another of my favorites is Avocado cream from Taylor Of Old Bond Street and my Semogue 1470 brush. All this productos are really cheap and good cuality (maybe Floïd is more expensive in the USA).

Regards

0 24
 02-27-2012, 06:49 AM
User Info
Diego C Wrote:Hi Mark,

I love a few basics. I always have a big bottle of the spanish after shave Floïd "vigoroso" (the orange bottle not the blue). Another of my favorites is Avocado cream from Taylor Of Old Bond Street and my Semogue 1470 brush. All this productos are really cheap and good cuality (maybe Floïd is more expensive in the USA).

Regards

Both the orange Floid and OBS Avocado are on my "to get" list already. Good to have affirmation from others that these are good products. I already have some ToOBS Sandalwood and like it a lot.

Cheers,

Mark

0 48
 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM
  • Ryan
  • New England
User Info
One of my favorites right now is J.M. Fraser's Original Shave Cream.

0 12
 02-27-2012, 04:37 PM
  • brg
  • Portugal
User Info
I have to agree with 444 ASB. Such a simple, yet very effective product.

Another product that surprised me were the Laser Super Platinum blades. I was expecting a cheap blade that only lasted for a shave or two (they are the barber's favorite over here...), but they gave me at least 3 good, close shaves with the Merkur 34C.

0 46
 02-27-2012, 06:36 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
J.M. Fraser's Original Shaving Cream

23 1,872
 02-27-2012, 07:03 PM
User Info
I don't think Cyril Salter gets enough love, though the French Vetiver can be a bit polarizing as a scent. I didn't particularly enjoy the smell at first, but the performance was so good I continued using it to break in a stubborn Semogue 820. After a month, the nuttiness of the Vetiver has actually really grown on me. The Sandalwood is fantastic, and probably more accessible on first impressions. I'm going to order some Rose here shortly.

3 195
 02-27-2012, 07:19 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
I've got to say, I was very surprised by the VanDerHagen DeLuxe Soap thats 2 for $5 at Walgreens. When I first opened it I thought it smelled a little flowery for my taste, but I just keep coming back to it every few days. It just works, and the scent is growing on me.........

0 271
 02-27-2012, 07:59 PM
User Info
mikeperry Wrote:J.M. Fraser's Original Shaving Cream

Good one. I just picked up some of this, and it may be the best combo of price, scent, performance, and size I've ever gotten from a cream.

9 166
 02-27-2012, 08:33 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
middlesmith Wrote:Good one. I just picked up some of this, and it may be the best combo of price, scent, performance, and size I've ever gotten from a cream.

Hi

Nods in total agreement, it was the first proper shaving cream I used almost 6 years ago (can't remember what proper shaving cream I use to pinch from my dad 25 years ago) and will always be in my Top 3 (or 5) Shaving Creams bn

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-28-2012, 02:10 AM
User Info
Wilkinson stick is as good performer as MWF.
Ingram shave cream (the blue-white one; the green-white is brusless). It smells like coral skinfood GFT and if i take care to add a little more cream than for example tobs creams.

BYe

0 107