09-25-2012, 07:38 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1140963.jpg]

This is one of my all time favorite shaving creams since Im in love with its scent since the first sniff.Is maybe also my favorite scent of the many shaving creams I have tried so far , waiting to try the Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet one , which I expect to be excellent too.

This cream is made in Italy and comes in a very elegant jar (which also can be founded with some TFS shaving creams), with 125 ml of shaving cream and contains the following ingredients :

[Image: P1220590.jpg]

As you can read , veggie formulation , with extracts of wheat and sweet almond oil.

Acqua di Parma shaving cream on tub has a different formulation than Acqua Di Parma shaving cream (tube) which contains lanolin on its ingredients.

[Image: P1140964.jpg]

We can consider this cream a "croap" (hard texture shaving cream) and its very easy to make lather from , even with kind of soft shaving brushes.

This is the lather I made from this cream using a Vie Long silvertip brush : no much cream is needed to make a really good amount of lather out of this cream :

[Image: P1220595.jpg]

[Image: P1220596.jpg]

The lather is slick , but maybe not as slicker as the tube version.However , is slick and also with "cushion".It provides a good skin care , but again , maybe not as good as the tube version , since lanolin makes the difference ,a nd the tube version has lanolin on it ,as I have pointed.However , I do enjoy very pleasant shaves every time I use this shaving cream.

Its scent is simply superb : its different than the EDT like Colonia Classica,Intensa o Ezzensa.This cream smells like sweet organges mixed with chocolate and some notes of fresh coconut and citrus on the back.Yes , to me smells like that and I simply adore it.For some reason I can picture the great Marcello Mastroianni shaving with this cream in "La Dolce Vita", or maybe in "8 1/2".Yes, this cream represents glamour and its a finest example of Italian elegance.

This cream is also very expensive : 62 dollars for the 125 ml jar.Yes , its quiet expensive , compare it with Santa Maria La Novella (53 dollars for 220ml) or the Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet jar (150 ml for 50 dollars).Its the price of exclusivity...or maybe not as its all about marketing...RazoRock XXX is basically the same and cost 8,99 dollars.

Acqua Di Parma represents the quintessential of Italian elegance , "glamour" and marketing.Its all about that and Italians are masters on those 3 things.Well done for them.

86 7,123
 09-25-2012, 07:58 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
This is one of my favorites as well. It goes on sale once a year which is when I swoop in. Biggrin

45 16,352
 09-25-2012, 08:01 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(09-25-2012, 07:38 AM)Teiste Wrote: Its the price of exclusivity...or maybe not as its all about marketing...RazoRock XXX is basically the same and cost 8,99 dollars.

I do not find this to be true at all Teiste. While the scent is similar, the creams are very different. In fact, I cannot use the Razorock XXX because it sets my face on fire. It is a moot point though as Razorock XXX has been discontinued.

45 16,352
 09-25-2012, 08:17 AM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
(09-25-2012, 07:58 AM)bullgoose Wrote: This is one of my favorites as well. It goes on sale once a year which is when I swoop in. Biggrin

When does it go on sale?

19 414
 09-25-2012, 08:19 AM
User Info
AdP is one of my favorite soaps as well. Right now it is the most expensive soap I use, but my goodness what an awesome shave it provides and my skin feels great after using it.

AdP also has two different AS splashes which compliment the scent. I use one in the summer and the other (heavier one) in the winter.

BTW, I agree with Phil. I was given a sample of XXX to try as a comparison to AdP and while it does indeed smell similar, the soap itself is no match for AdP. My skin was dry and itchy after shaving both times I used it.

Edit: That jar would look great in anyone's shave den. Pure Class IMO.

129 6,685
 09-25-2012, 08:23 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(09-25-2012, 08:17 AM)jfmii Wrote: When does it go on sale?

It seems to go on sale around November if I recall correctly from Sephora...the sale includes the entire ADP line-up. I believe that I got mine for 40% off MSRP.

45 16,352
 09-25-2012, 08:46 AM
User Info
(09-25-2012, 08:19 AM)wingdo Wrote: BTW, I agree with Phil. I was given a sample of XXX to try as a comparison to AdP and while it does indeed smell similar, the soap itself is no match for AdP. My skin was dry and itchy after shaving both times I used it.

I agree also. RazoRock XXX gave me a rash, while my skin tolerates the AdP just fine.

184 12,003
 09-25-2012, 09:41 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I am actually relieved that I don't like the scent. It is a good performer though! Don't know if XXX is the same but Teiste is right about marketing, it costs $2 to $4 to make any cream or soap Biggrin

88 4,233
 09-25-2012, 10:07 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(09-25-2012, 09:41 AM)beartrap Wrote: I am actually relieved that I don't like the scent. It is a good performer though! Don't know if XXX is the same but Teiste is right about marketing, it costs $2 to $4 to make any cream or soap Biggrin

That is actually blatantly false. Have you checked the prices of some of the Essential Oils (e.g. Rose Otto and real Sandalwood) lately? Some are worth more than gold.

45 16,352
 09-25-2012, 10:12 AM
User Info
While it is true that the raw product cost of any soap is probably under $5 for the amount you get in a tub, the cost of R&D does come into play as well. Lord knows how many Italian chemists took lord knows how long to come up with this formula. While automobiles are a very poor analogy in this instance as obviously top end cars cost far more to produce than low end cars, there is indeed a much higher profit margin (percentage based) on a BMW 7 series over a Chevy Aero.

Back on track, on a side note I am usually not one to really like vegetable based soaps, but this one somehow gets it right. I don't miss the tallow at all here.

129 6,685
 09-25-2012, 10:12 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(09-25-2012, 10:07 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(09-25-2012, 09:41 AM)beartrap Wrote: I am actually relieved that I don't like the scent. It is a good performer though! Don't know if XXX is the same but Teiste is right about marketing, it costs $2 to $4 to make any cream or soap Biggrin

That is actually blatantly false. Have you checked the prices of some of the Essential Oils (e.g. Rose Otto and real Sandalwood) lately? Some are worth more than gold.

Maybe... But how much of that is going into a tub of cream?
I know how much of it is going into perfumes and it is less than 10% of what the actual perfume costs.

(09-25-2012, 10:12 AM)wingdo Wrote: While it is true that the raw product cost of any soap is probably under $5 for the amount you get in a tub, the cost of R&D does come into play as well. Lord knows how many Italian chemists took lord knows how long to come up with this formula. While automobiles are a very poor analogy in this instance as obviously top end cars cost far more to produce than low end cars, there is indeed a much higher profit margin (percentage based) on a BMW 7 series over a Chevy Aero.

Back on track, on a side note I am usually not one to really like vegetable based soaps, but this one somehow gets it right. I don't miss the tallow at all here.

Yes, I was talking purely about ingredients cost, no R&D or overhead.

88 4,233
 09-25-2012, 10:28 AM
User Info
It should also be noted and added into the price computation that traditional wet shavers are a minority. Most wet shavers buy canned goo (ewwww). So these top end creams are a high end minority within a general minority. Therefore economies of scale most likely do not benefit these niche soaps. It can take a very long production run to lower costs to a reasonable level.

Although I am in IT, for a number of years I was an IT engineer at a food manufacturing company. The cost of setting up a line for a particular product run was quite high and it took almost a week of full time running for the line to become profitable as they were a low cost manufacturer to the likes of Walmart.

Small batch items NEVER get the luxury of 24x7x"a lot of days" of a production run to bring costs down to a point where they can make it for $5. That doesn't even count the cost of the jar, or packaging neither of which are inexpensive compared to say Cella.

129 6,685
 09-25-2012, 02:52 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Is the cream overpriced?Yes , my friend , very much.
Is the cream like RazoRock XXX?It is for me , for others is not.
Would I buy this cream again in the future?Well, im sure I will (maybe the one on the tub would be next).
Can you live without trying this shaving cream?Yes you can , but this cream can make you start the day with a smile on your face , due to its scent , and make you feel like Marcello Mastroianni , and I cant say that about many shaving creams out there.Biggrin

86 7,123
 09-25-2012, 03:06 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Yeah! I wanna feel like Marcello Mastroianni Biggrin
Reading it, already puts a smile on my face!

88 4,233
 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM
User Info
 09-26-2012, 09:05 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Nice video of the GREAT Marcello Mastroianni...Im sure he used Acqua Di Parma for his shaves.BiggrinBiggrin

86 7,123
 09-29-2012, 10:44 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I shaved with this cream today and , while I was shaving , this music was on my head the whole time :

VIVA L'A ITALIA!!!!!!

86 7,123
 09-29-2012, 11:31 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Teiste! I love this theme! Biggrin

88 4,233
 10-01-2012, 06:01 PM
User Info
(09-26-2012, 09:05 AM)Teiste Wrote: Nice video of the GREAT Marcello Mastroianni...Im sure he used Acqua Di Parma for his shaves.BiggrinBiggrin

What a true gentleman MM was - one that we Gents can look at and try our best to imitate, but we will never reach his level........the number of beautiful women he has kissed and acted with in films is just crazy.......I step back and take a bow for him Cool

Regarding the ADP cream in the pot - I will never be without it in my collection of shaving creams. No other creams has the same level of class in a jar.
Only a few other creams in my den comes close, but still don't ooze the same amount of style and class - Santa Maria Novella, Acca Kappa 1869, Castle Forbes Lavender & Lime, Penhaligon BB in the pot, Xpec AND if they made Floris 89, O Melhor & I Coloniali Rhubarb in a glass tub.

But still nothing beats the exclusivity of Acqua di Parma Cool

(09-29-2012, 10:44 AM)Teiste Wrote: I shaved with this cream today and , while I was shaving , this music was on my head the whole time :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us3Kgy52XAg
[/align]

VIVA L'A ITALIA!!!!!!

Oh my god, Teiste - this movie by Felline is my big brother favorite movie of all time.
He was crazy about the Italian girls and ladies in Fellini's movies. He likes a woman with some curves Biggrin
I remember this music from when I was a little boy in the 70's and my brother watched this movie countless of times.......
Isn't it the movie where a man climbs up to a tree and won't come down because he can't get the girl he is in love with Tongue

Love Fellini movies - pure class and good humor !!

If you have the time - watch this movie with one of the best looking Italian women in the last 50 years, Monica Bellucci - the movie is called: Malena
I guarentee you will love it, even though it's kind of a sad film.......but beautifully made, trust me, Teiste !

22 5,064
 10-01-2012, 06:10 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Yes ,my friend , thats the movie! I love it too , since reflects the Italian (and by extension , Mediterranean European way of life).It was based on Fellini's memories of his youth and the great Nino Rota made the OST.FANTASTIC!

Acqua Di Parma has something that SMN doesnt have , Im afraid : style.While SMN is more of "tradition" AdP plays with the Italian style , which is so difficult to beat.Maybe Penhaligons BB could play on that league of style and tradition.And Floris , but they only have right onw one cream , N89 and doesnt comes on a sexy glass jar like AdP or Pen's BB.

86 7,123