01-22-2020, 05:30 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
There are no legitimate contenders in the cream world, as long as fragrance is left out of the equation, to Coates in my book. I keep a very detailed log of my daily shaves, how many passes, how close the end results are, touch ups if any, weepers if any.
I've used Penhaligon , Xpec, Baum.be,  and others. Many others. I've evaluated over a long time with several razors, several blades.  Go over my notes several times a year.  Nothing works better.  A few are as good...maybe... but at significantly higher prices. 
I'm stepping out of the shadows to say it loud...
Best performing cream ...Coates
Its uncanny and according to my log book it has been for a long time and every time.
That's it. Thank you for your consideration.

8 2,759
 01-22-2020, 08:04 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've use a lot of soaps and creams over the years, but this is a brand I have not tried.  I will have to get some based on your recommendation.

187 25,955
 01-22-2020, 08:36 AM
User Info
À Chacun Son Goût: Saying "To Each His Own" in French

63 1,712
 01-22-2020, 10:00 AM
User Info
This cream is laden with nasty preservatives. Worth knowing for those who care about this sort of thing...

218 1,315
 01-22-2020, 01:03 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
(01-22-2020, 10:00 AM)nervosa1901 Wrote: This cream is laden with nasty preservatives. Worth knowing for those who care about this sort of thing...

Well, if itll keep me from aging any further,  that's another box ticked.
But seriously,  and I'm  not being facetious or anything, educate me on why it matters. I'm  eco-conscious otherwise am I missing something  on this?

8 2,759
 01-22-2020, 01:46 PM
User Info
(01-22-2020, 05:30 AM)Mouser Wrote: There are no legitimate contenders in the cream world, as long as fragrance is left out of the equation, to Coates in my book. I keep a very detailed log of my daily shaves, how many passes, how close the end results are, touch ups if any, weepers if any.
I've used Penhaligon , Xpec, Baum.be,  and others. Many others. I've evaluated over a long time with several razors, several blades.  Go over my notes several times a year.  Nothing works better.  A few are as good...maybe... but at significantly higher prices. 
I'm stepping out of the shadows to say it loud...
Best performing cream ...Coates
Its uncanny and according to my log book it has been for a long time and every time.
That's it. Thank you for your consideration.

Have you tried Hemingway Accoutrements?  I find that their creme, tonic and balsalm to be fantastic.

I have some Coates, but I don't think it would land in my #1 spot.

9 197
 01-22-2020, 07:06 PM
  • Nero
User Info
I get AMAZING shaves from Coate's too. I don't use it as much as I would, all else equal, due to the parabens...I'm not a research scientist to know if it's a valid scare, however.
I agree with you, Mouser. It's basically unbeatable on performance...and if price was a factor too, there'd nothing even close to consider.

97 3,899
 01-23-2020, 12:28 AM
User Info
I understand your preference towards this particular brand, but may I ask why use a cream loaded with parabens when there are so many much better performing soaps with skin nourishing natural ingredients, in variety of beautiful scents.  What is the main point, price or just YMMV?

0 30
 01-23-2020, 12:48 PM
User Info
So far the best cream I have used is the one-off Declaration Grooming Albizia experiment. If it ever makes a return, it's worth the buy. Absolutely incredible stuff. I quite liked Hemingway cream as well and I've heard very good things about Caties Bubbles luxury cream, it is on my short list to try eventually.

40 1,976
 01-23-2020, 01:25 PM
User Info
I agree that Coate's creams are excellent. However, for me they are no better than - and probably not quite as good as - the vintage Penhaligon's creams (English Fern, Lords, Castile), Floris creams (Elite, Santal), and C&E Sweet Almond Oil cream.

240 14,052
 01-23-2020, 03:52 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba not bad. I find if I dip the upturned pot in warm water just briefly, have my shower, and then use a scrubby brush, I can get a better, fuller lather. Slickness is never in doubt, but this stuff takes some working out in terms of generating a generous lather.

0 2,220
 01-24-2020, 02:43 AM
User Info
I don't care for it personally. Only used the Sandalwood mind you but found the lather nothing to write home about, the scent was ghastly and as someone else pointed out it contains more chemicals than Porton Down.

All that said I'm perfectly happy using good old Palmolive cream so perhaps I'm just not discerning enough  Biggrin

2 225
 01-24-2020, 12:47 PM
  • Nero
User Info
To be clear, Coates has no more "chemicals" than GFT or T&H or similar.
Coates does perform much better than those, IME.

97 3,899
 01-24-2020, 01:10 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
After using soaps exclusively for more than half a century, I had fun shaving primarily with creams for about a year. I have to agree with Jack, to each his own. I do enjoy Coates, but I find Antica Barbieria Cola to be much better, and find many others to be as good as Coates, including Castle Forbes, Alvarez Gomez, XPEC, and Al's. The Obsessive Soap Perfectionist made an excellent cream, but he is no longer in business. I am also very impressed with the latest cream formulation from Stone Cottage Soapworks, one that rarely gets mentioned, although it's as least as good as the others listed.

38 6,231
 01-25-2020, 04:44 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(01-23-2020, 12:28 AM)Martini Wrote: I understand your preference towards this particular brand, but may I ask why use a cream loaded with parabens when there are so many much better performing soaps with skin nourishing natural ingredients, in variety of beautiful scents.  What is the main point, price or just YMMV?

Oh, I don't use it or any other cream often. I was only commenting that, when looking back on my documented shaves, which is all of them since 2013, no cream gives me a BBS with as few weepers as reliably. In other words,  no cream performs better or even in the long run as good. It's  not my favorite cream to use when you factor in fragrance as well and I wasn't even thinking about preservatives just that it, and only it, performs as good as any good to excellent soap. Not my very best soaps mind you, but still...but ymmv of course.

8 2,759
 01-25-2020, 06:38 AM
User Info
I don’t use creams very often but I vote for Fitjar or Meissner Tremonia. They are easily top creams in my den.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 100
 01-26-2020, 02:00 PM
User Info
AFAIK, Coate's used to be made by Creightons (makers of T&H and GFT; ex-makers of DRH, TOBS and AoS).

Been ~20 years since I last used Coate's (a free travel tube of Lavender sent with a new Somerset Simpsons), but I recall liking it very much.

0 659
 01-26-2020, 04:26 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Good to see you Edge.

8 827
 01-27-2020, 02:59 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(01-26-2020, 02:00 PM)ask4Edge Wrote: AFAIK, Coate's used to be made by Creightons (makers of T&H and GFT; ex-makers of DRH, TOBS and AoS).

Been ~20 years since I last used Coate's (a free travel tube of Lavender sent with a new Somerset Simpsons), but I recall liking it very much.

I think it was,  but that doesn't mean it's the same.  In many instances when the manufacture of a product is contracted  out, a list of specs, or in cases like this maybe a recipe is a better word, goes along with it.

8 2,759
 01-28-2020, 08:50 AM
User Info
(01-26-2020, 04:26 PM)Steve56 Wrote: Good to see you Edge.

Thanks. Likewise.

0 659