09-25-2012, 08:56 AM
User Info
OK, so the subsitute refs blew it and gave the Monday night game to Seattle. Hey, our perennially second-rate team needs all the help it can get....

183 12,002
 09-25-2012, 09:03 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
The refs blew the game and blew many calls. But Seattle deserves some credit.

As a natively born cheese head, who has been following the Pack for my entire life, and as one of many owners of the team this pains me to say; however, the Pack lost because the Pack just as good as they have been in the past. The defense is greatly improved from last year, but the O-line tanked and Rogers might as well have been sacking himself (Oh wait, he did try that as well). If it had been a fairly called game, the results would probably have been the same.

0 253
 09-25-2012, 09:12 AM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
I feel like the NFL is turning into some weird cross between the Arena league and WWF. It's more about the presentation and costumes lately than it is about integrity / rules / fans.

11 366
 09-25-2012, 09:33 AM
User Info
My local news had a "blooper reel" of ref issues on Sunday night's newscast. The strangest and most dangerous one I saw (sadly I do not remember who was playing) but as a receiver was getting ready to make a touchdown catch in the end zone a ref threw his hat into the path of the receiver who stepped on it and slipped and missed the catch.

Not only did that stupidity cost the team a touchdown, but the receiver easily could have torn an ACL or MCL.

These refs HAVE NO BUSINESS calling plays for the NFL. Some of them were actually kicked out of their college conferences (3 from the Pac12 alone) because they were too inept to call a college game.

If I recall, the amount the refs want would work out to 100k per team. Considering what teams pay now in players salaries that is a pittance to ensure player safety and the integrity of the game.

BTW, as a life long Bears fan and natural Packer Hater (sorry Johnny), last night's game was a ref nightmare. The Packers got screwed several times.

129 6,685
 09-25-2012, 10:51 AM
User Info
Yes, the officiating is bad, but the replacement refs are doing the best they can and have been pretty open in recognizing calls they missed (in most cases). The NFL just needs to give the regular refs what they want so we can get back to some real football....However, if you have been a Raiders fan as long as I have, this is real football for us and the rest of the league finally has a taste of what we've dealt with time and time again...bad calls that give the game to the opposing team Biggrin

EDIT: I also agree with the previous statements about player safety. The hit on Sunday's Raiders/ Steelers game against Darius Heyward-Bey (Which ultimately resulted in him being strapped to a board and being carted off in an ambulance) should have been flagged as an illegal hit. I think players are playing the rules a little "looser" than they might otherwise bc they know there's a good chance they won't get called for a penalty...Bring back the real refs!

5 938
 09-25-2012, 11:00 AM
User Info
Its the pathologically persecuted Boston fan in me, so I feel that the refs blew the last two games for the Patriots. They called a crappy hold on Gronkowski on the "game-winning" TD and then called a pretty cruddy PI on the Ravens' final drive to beat us Sunday night.

Then again, I can probably personally name about 20 times in recent memory when the Pats/Red Sox/Celtics/Bruins "should have won" so...

72 1,407
 09-25-2012, 03:13 PM
User Info
(09-25-2012, 09:03 AM)etoyoc Wrote: The refs blew the game and blew many calls. But Seattle deserves some credit.

They certainly do, but that does not change the fact that the refs made two blatantly wrong calls that were game changing.

1) pass interference
2) touchdown pass that by all appearances on replay looked like an interception. I can't see how you can make the argument that Seattle had any control over the football when Jennings pinned it to his chest.

That said, what Jennings should have done is knock the ball back five yards.

I'm not a Packers fan and have no vested interest in how that game came out, but I am very upset at the NFL. The strike needs to end right now. The NFL needs to cave.

9 2,988
 09-25-2012, 03:32 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
As far as I'm concerned, the NFL ruined the game long before replacement refs came along. This will just turn more fans away. I must admit that watching these refs can be funnier than Saturday Night Live if you're not rooting for a team. I like it when they blow the whistle, stop play, then can't seem to remember why they blew the whistle. "Oops, never mind." Forget quarterbacks, the players should put a bounty on refs.

I was reading an on-line news article today that said some of the replacement refs were fired by the Lingerie Football League for incompetence. Not to believe it's not true.

0 204
 09-25-2012, 09:23 PM
User Info
Hee hee. American football. ( opps, i guess i shouldn't have said that) Good luck with the season lads. Wink

75 20,883
 09-25-2012, 09:45 PM
User Info
(09-25-2012, 09:23 PM)celestino Wrote: Hee hee. American football. ( opps, i guess i shouldn't have said that) Good luck with the season lads. Wink

Is there anything else? Haha...just kidding.

5 938
 09-26-2012, 06:33 AM
User Info
Attendance is up and TV ratings are up (some people just want to see the bad calls), and replacement officials cost less. The owners will stand their ground.

The refs get an average of $150,000 per year for a part time job. They have the best pension plan of any NFL employees. I am in a union, but the refs have to give a little in this negotiation. They aren't irreplaceable.

97 615
 09-26-2012, 07:09 AM
User Info
It seems to me that the NFL is going through some stages that baseball went through when it lost its #1 position among sports. Can't solve its own problems, airs its dirty laundry, can't deal with labor without affecting the product on the field (in this case, the refs). I guess these things are cyclical.

Football turned me off because of the unreasonable amount of commercials that air (and air a loooooooooooooong time).

0 282
 09-26-2012, 07:32 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Even if they settle the strike (lockout) tomorrow which they are not even close to doing it will take several weeks of re-training to get them back to work.

100 12,437
 09-26-2012, 08:36 AM
User Info
(09-26-2012, 06:33 AM)mcgils Wrote: The refs get an average of $150,000 per year for a part time job. They have the best pension plan of any NFL employees. I am in a union, but the refs have to give a little in this negotiation. They aren't irreplaceable.

Actually the top end for the refs is the 150k number, I believe starting is around 60 (or is it 90k). Either way money is not the actual sticking point. The NFL is looking to do away with the generous pension system and replace it with a more standard 401k system.

Now in general, I am none too sympathetic in the pension debate (I've never had the joy of getting one) and have to live with my 401k. I think the issue which *I* personally have with this is the fact the NFL has NEVER had higher revenue than it does now, and the total cost per team is estimated to be between 80k and 100k per year. Considering the speed and complexity of the game and the fact that players health and careers are at risk here, this is a pittance for each team. My god, the Bears are paying a backup running back 6 million, you'd think they'd cough up 100k a year to have the best refs available calling the games and making sure the players are as safe as possible.

On the plus side for me as a Bears fan, Monday night's game had TWO blown calls on the final play which cost the Packers a win (offensive pass interference on the receiver who "caught" the ball, as well as the blown interception call). Thanks to the refs, the Bears are now a game up on the Pack.

129 6,685
 09-26-2012, 08:57 AM
User Info
I know most are saying this will be over by the weekend. But I'm not sure most understand some of the union demands.

For example, the owners want a larger pool of referees from which to pick. The union doesn't want a ref. to be replaced simply for doing a bad job.
Facepalm

Also, to be clear, these owners have substantial 'other' income. They don't need to have this settled as much as the refs. do.

Personally, I've played in a lot of sports with a lot of refs. that did a lot worse job. We learned to suck it up and move on (cheating aside).

2 546
 09-26-2012, 12:09 PM
User Info
(09-26-2012, 08:36 AM)wingdo Wrote:
(09-26-2012, 06:33 AM)mcgils Wrote: The refs get an average of $150,000 per year for a part time job. They have the best pension plan of any NFL employees. I am in a union, but the refs have to give a little in this negotiation. They aren't irreplaceable.

Actually the top end for the refs is the 150k number, I believe starting is around 60 (or is it 90k). Either way money is not the actual sticking point. The NFL is looking to do away with the generous pension system and replace it with a more standard 401k system.

Now in general, I am none too sympathetic in the pension debate (I've never had the joy of getting one) and have to live with my 401k. I think the issue which *I* personally have with this is the fact the NFL has NEVER had higher revenue than it does now, and the total cost per team is estimated to be between 80k and 100k per year. Considering the speed and complexity of the game and the fact that players health and careers are at risk here, this is a pittance for each team. My god, the Bears are paying a backup running back 6 million, you'd think they'd cough up 100k a year to have the best refs available calling the games and making sure the players are as safe as possible.

On the plus side for me as a Bears fan, Monday night's game had TWO blown calls on the final play which cost the Packers a win (offensive pass interference on the receiver who "caught" the ball, as well as the blown interception call). Thanks to the refs, the Bears are now a game up on the Pack.

Starting salary is 78k, average is 149 as of last year-for a part time job reffing games.

97 615
 09-26-2012, 12:25 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've been looking for a part time job.Biggrin

That's more than I made when I was working a full time job. I shed no tears for any of them.

173 23,490
 09-26-2012, 04:18 PM
User Info
This pretty much sums it up...

Attached Files Image(s)

5 938
 09-26-2012, 06:36 PM
User Info
(09-26-2012, 12:25 PM)Johnny Wrote: I've been looking for a part time job.Biggrin

That's more than I made when I was working a full time job. I shed no tears for any of them.

Oh, I do not disagree they are well paid. That said, so are refs in the SEC.

Keeping in mind though that an awful lot actually depends upon these guys making the right call. The NFL is a multi-Billion dollar a year business. Players careers can depend upon these same refs (see above regarding the receiver having a ref throw hit hat into his running path and said receiver slipping and falling on the hat). Let's also not forget that sports betting is a HUGE business as well. All of these things require refs making the right call. There are currently refs who were cut by the freaking lingerie league for goodness sake.

The Packers lost a game they never should have lost. This could have post season repercussions. If the afore mentioned player had torn his ACL when he slipped on the thrown hat, he *could* have been out for the season or longer and possibly never come fully back. Sports betting facilities are still trying to figure out exactly what to do about this. Several have already announced that people who lost their money due to the call in the Packers game will have the amount credited to their accounts for betting purposes (sorry no cash to your pockets).

Again, all of this over 100k per franchise per year. The player salary cap per team for 2012 is 120.6 MILLION.

129 6,685
 09-26-2012, 06:55 PM
User Info
(09-26-2012, 07:09 AM)CaliforniaCajun Wrote: Football turned me off because of the unreasonable amount of commercials that air (and air a loooooooooooooong time).

Three letters...D V R!

First of all, fall is my favorite season and I'll be dipped if I'm going to sit inside on a beautiful fall day and waste 3 hours on a game. No way. Last Sunday while the Vikings were playing, my son & i were out at the trap range shooting a few rounds. (I'm proud to say that my son beat me in 2 of 3 rounds!)

I taped the game and that night we watched it. Just as the whistle blows, hit the 30 sec button and it's just about perfect that they're snapping the ball on the next play. Time out or commercial? Hit the 30sec button 4 times and your good. I can watch a game in about an hour and skip all the commercials, all the idiotic announcers, and not miss a beautiful afternoon with my family.

0 836