01-27-2020, 05:41 PM
User Info
Gentlemen,

I was gifted a sample of the Sebum Tonka Shave Soap and Serum from a generous pal on the boards.

The fragrance is of buttery almonds and a light cinnamon.  I really enjoyed it!

The performance is stunningly elite in every category.  This is THE BEST performing soap I have ever used.

The end result of this shave was an irritation free BBS, and the post-shave feel was wonderful.

I don’t know what else I can say, so below are the lather pics!

Vr 

Matt

[Image: VsmMkif.jpg][Image: AupMm1p.jpg][Image: tE4WHkw.jpg][Image: Tzzbj2t.jpg][Image: 2GXfgZQ.jpg][Image: UKX7QAw.jpg][Image: HoIWk4i.jpg][Image: mV0pS2N.jpg][Image: nsbEhZ8.jpg]

37 2,326
 01-27-2020, 07:31 PM
User Info
Matt,

In you opinion, do you rate the Tonka soap a better performer than the Blue?

60 315
 01-27-2020, 07:55 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
Matt, you are a master latherer!

17 730
 01-27-2020, 10:01 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Sebum Gold is exceptional in all regards; Tonka takes this further in terms of performance attributes, and has a lovely mellow scent. Superb.

[Image: 1PeHnX2.jpg]

119 19,577
 01-28-2020, 01:47 AM
User Info
(01-27-2020, 07:31 PM)petropn Wrote: Matt,

In you opinion, do you rate the Tonka soap a better performer than the Blue?

Hello Nick!

Yes...in my opinion the Sebum Tonka performance edges out the performance of the blue. The slickness and residual slickness is really next level stuff! The performance from that lather hit on all cylinders!

Have a great week!

Vr

Matt

37 2,326
 01-28-2020, 01:49 AM
User Info
(01-27-2020, 07:55 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: Matt, you are a master latherer!

Bahahah! Thank-you sir! I am just having fun with it, and the syringe really helps me to not over or under hydrate it.

Vr

Matt

37 2,326
 01-28-2020, 01:50 AM
User Info
(01-27-2020, 10:01 PM)Agravic Wrote: Sebum Gold is exceptional in all regards; Tonka takes this further in terms of performance attributes, and has a lovely mellow scent. Superb.

Spot on Ravi!

Vr

Matt

37 2,326
 01-28-2020, 05:40 PM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
(01-27-2020, 10:01 PM)Agravic Wrote: Sebum Gold is exceptional in all regards; Tonka takes this further in terms of performance attributes, and has a lovely mellow scent. Superb.

It says "straight razor shaving soap." What do they mean? Is it different?

Sounds like a spectacular soap in any case.

1 672
 01-28-2020, 06:10 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(01-28-2020, 05:40 PM)David Wrote:

It says "straight razor shaving soap." What do they mean? Is it different?

Sounds like a spectacular soap in any case.

The slicker nature of this soap’s lather was felt to be optimal for straight razor users ie more so than regular Sebum Gold. I believe that’s what led to the labeling as such. I use DE razors exclusively, and see the merits of Tonka lather prevailing regardless of razor type used.

119 19,577
 01-28-2020, 06:20 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Dammit Matt, there you go again with your fantastic lather again. I now wish that I had pulled the trigger on the Tonka Bean when it was available. I was able to purchase two other Sē'bŭm products for the same price  Biggrin, but now I'll have to save my pennies for this one. I use straights and think his other soaps are very slick, and can't imagine how slick this one must be.

39 6,299
 01-28-2020, 07:21 PM
User Info
I sometimes wish I didn’t buy all that shaving soap in 2014-2016, where I bought entire series shaving soaps at a time.

I can’t buy all the new releases now, unless I PIF my older soaps away.

Luxury problem ? For sure.

But I can’t buy new soaps before I’m at least down to 50 unused shaving soaps in my den. I’m probably dead before I get down to 50 unused soaps in my den LOL

Good to see other guys still buying the newer soap brands.

I’m stuck with dozens and dozens of old unopened pots of B&M, CRSW Select, Caties Lux, Sapo Varesino, Tabula Rasa, LPL, Jabonman, Wickhams, Mike’s and other brands.

The fun and sad thing at the same time is, that I don’t really feel the rush to get yet another great shaving soap. I have so many that performs so amazingly already.

Good to see you’ve figured out how to constantly make great lather, Matt.
It used to be Merkur Man who posted these lather shots. Is he still here ?

I admire your ability to get great lather from the Nuavia soaps. Only soap in my den, that has let me down after a period of constant great performances.
All my other soaps (20-25 different brands) perform constantly great for me. Nuavia is a mystery to me.

Cheers, Claus

25 6,912
 01-28-2020, 08:00 PM
User Info
(01-28-2020, 07:21 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I’m stuck with dozens and dozens of old unopened pots of B&M, CRSW Select, Caties Lux, Sapo Varesino, Tabula Rasa, LPL, Jabonman, Wickhams, Mike’s and other brands.

The fun and sad thing at the same time is, that I don’t really feel the rush to get yet another great shaving soap. I have so many that performs so amazingly already.

I got anxious about trying to keep up with all the great products available. I got to a point where I was tired of possessing so much stuff and trying to keep up with new developments. What was once kind of exciting--picking a razor, blade, soap, brush, and AS combo--became a chore. I had a favorite razor, so that became my razor. I had a favorite blade, so that was the blade I used. For soaps/creams, I kept a few because I like a menthol in hot weather, and I like a rose from time to time, but I picked a good all-around performer that I use for 98% of my shaves. I decided on a brush I could use everyday, and I picked one aftershave. So now I'm like that one guy who was here back when I was active, who posted the same SOTD every day--MWF, Schick injector, and I forget his brush and aftershave. But that's pretty much me. I'm not saying you'll end up like me, or even that you should, but I totally agree there is so much good stuff out there that one could pick one, two, three favorites and be content with those.

4 124
 01-28-2020, 08:03 PM
User Info
(01-28-2020, 01:49 AM)Ols67 Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 07:55 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: Matt, you are a master latherer!

Bahahah!  Thank-you sir!  I am just having fun with it, and the syringe really helps me to not over or under hydrate it.

Vr

Matt

I haven't thought about using that for lathering, I'll give it a go in the next few days!

0 289
 01-28-2020, 08:49 PM
User Info
(01-28-2020, 08:00 PM)dontodd Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 07:21 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I’m stuck with dozens and dozens of old unopened pots of B&M, CRSW Select, Caties Lux, Sapo Varesino, Tabula Rasa, LPL, Jabonman, Wickhams, Mike’s and other brands.

I got anxious about trying to keep up with all the great products available. I got to a point where I was tired of possessing so much stuff and trying to keep up with new developments. What was once kind of exciting--picking a razor, blade, soap, brush, and AS combo--became a chore. I had a favorite razor, so that became my razor. I had a favorite blade, so that was the blade I used. For soaps/creams, I kept a few because I like a menthol in hot weather, and I like a rose from time to time, but I picked a good all-around performer that I use for 98% of my shaves. I decided on a brush I could use everyday, and I picked one aftershave. So now I'm like that one guy who was here back when I was active, who posted the same SOTD every day--MWF, Schick injector, and I forget his brush and aftershave. But that's pretty much me. I'm not saying you'll end up like me, or even that you should, but I totally agree there is so much good stuff out there that one could pick one, two, three favorites and be content with those.

I understand where you are.

But unless I give all my stash away or it turns rancid, I’m left with 150-200 shaving soaps, 40-50 after shaves and 300+ fragrances, that I need to use heavily before adding anything to my den.

Don’t get me wrong. I still enjoy variation in my shaves. Using the same product over and over can be tedious at times, so I rarely if ever do it.

I just have a hard time buying new stuff, when I own so much that all are top notch products already.

25 6,912
 01-28-2020, 10:15 PM
User Info
Claus,

Thanks for the kind words my friend!

DonTodd,

Yes...picking a soap was getting to be a bit overwhelming here as well. I am at least, mostly, zeroed in on my top six...in no particular order...Eufros, Martin De Candre, Sebum, Long Rifle Soap Co, Nuavia, and Santa Maria Novella. I also recently tried Haslinger with the tallow base, that was given to me by a fellow member, and I have a few pucks of that...initial impressions were very good!

JustMe,

I love using the syringe for controlling the amount of water added, as the lather progresses! I add between a few drops to 1/2 tsp at a time.

Vr

Matt

37 2,326
 01-29-2020, 02:07 PM
User Info
(01-28-2020, 06:20 PM)evnpar Wrote: Dammit Matt, there you go again with your fantastic lather again. I now wish that I had pulled the trigger on the Tonka Bean when it was available. I was able to purchase two other Sē'bŭm products for the same price  Biggrin, but now I'll have to save my pennies for this one. I use straights and think his other soaps are very slick, and can't imagine how slick this one must be.

Richard,

My apologies...but I think you will thank me in the end on this one...the fragrance and performance are just wonderful!

Vr

Matt

37 2,326
 01-29-2020, 02:21 PM
User Info
Just wondering how many shaves one might can expect from a tub of Sē’bŭm? Is it MDC type soap that last forever or more like a soft soap that might get you two or 3 months?

19 1,121
 01-29-2020, 02:27 PM
User Info
(01-29-2020, 02:21 PM)tsimmns Wrote: Just wondering how many shaves one might can expect from a tub of Sē’bŭm? Is it MDC type soap that last forever or more like a soft soap that might get you two or 3 months?

It is a soft soap...certainly does not have the longevity of an MDC!

In the thread I did on red/blue, I show the scoop I took out of the fresh container. It wasn’t a lot and was quite ample for generous lather in three passes and a touch up!

Vr

Matt

37 2,326
 01-30-2020, 06:47 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(01-29-2020, 02:07 PM)Ols67 Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 06:20 PM)evnpar Wrote: Dammit Matt, there you go again with your fantastic lather again. I now wish that I had pulled the trigger on the Tonka Bean when it was available. I was able to purchase two other Sē'bŭm products for the same price  Biggrin, but now I'll have to save my pennies for this one. I use straights and think his other soaps are very slick, and can't imagine how slick this one must be.

Richard,

My apologies...but I think you will thank me in the end on this one...the fragrance and performance are just wonderful!

Vr

Matt

Shortly after my last post, I discovered that Tonka Bean was available and ordered the set. I'm sure that I'll enjoy it's slickness, and the scent description is also sounds up my alley. I face lather, and therefore don't get the mounds of lather that you enjoy, but I do like the slickness of these soaps, and my face has never felt better than after shaving with these products. So far, Blue and Green are my favorites, mostly because of their scents, but I'm sure that Tonka Bean will be added to that list.

39 6,299
 01-30-2020, 10:05 AM
User Info
Richard,

I will be interested to see what you think about Tonka.

I think I like it better than blue, but that was am based off of one use of a generous sample from my pal. I will likely buy a set before too long!

Vr

Matt

37 2,326