01-28-2020, 05:38 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
Tough decisions ahead for me.

We’re moving this summer, and it’s time to start packing. Gotta be organized, and all ready for the big day. Now, what should I pack?

This is not going to be easy. I’m think of course about my cherished shaving items. What should I leave out for daily use for next few months, and what should be put into boxes and labelled “Open me first” when we arrive at our new home?

I think I’ll limit myself to one DE and one SE razor for my use until then.

Blades? That’s going to be easy, because I hardly have any left. Just a few packages of Bolzano and one package of PINK. It’s time to order more, and I’ve been narrowing it down, well, trying to narrow it down, to about 3 bulk packages of 100. Pehaps 4 packages.

Brushes. Oh boy, a difficult call. I think I’ll keep a badger, a boar, and my horse hair (mostly mane) behind. The rest—more than a dozen—go in a carefully packed box. Maybe I better keep the synthetic back as well.

Soap and cream. I have no idea what to keep out for daily use. Absolutely no idea. I love ’em all. The ones I didn’t care for much have been used up as shower soap, so everything I have left is a favourite. Must be at least 20, maybe more. I’ll keep 3 or 4 out, but the rest have to go in boxes. Choosing will not be easy. They all perform and smell great.

After shave. Interesting one. I’m seriously considering packing all of them. I have no idea how many I have. For the last while I’ve only been using Witch Hazel, with a little spray of cologne mixed with it in my hand. I don’t have too many colognes—I think it’s half a dozen. I’d probably keep them all back for use. I have 2 kinds of Witch Hazel, but I’d pack one.

Alum. I’ll keep that back.

Scuttle. I have several of these, but I’ll just keep the small one back for use.

Moisturizer. Hey, where I live the winters are really cold and my skin is always dry. It stays back.

Now the big news. The new joint will have 2 (yes 2) sinks and counters in the bathroom. I will have my own sink, own counter, and own cupboard and drawers. I might even bring out my old Campbell’s shaving cream machine in the winter. Haven’t used it in many years.

Anybody gone through this? Any advice? We haven’t moved in a very, very long time. And, we’re downsizing, so there won’t be as much space to store stuff.

1 673
 01-28-2020, 06:07 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
However many months away from the move you are, hold out that many soaps or creams.  I would set out a couple of aftershaves, and conditioner.  Looks like you have the razors handled.

For me this would be easy as I only have 4 brushes, 1 synthetic, 1 badger, and 2 boars.  As for as soaps, just three would be held out, MWF, ARKO, Proraso.  Aftershave, just one, Floid Blue.

What state are you moving from and what state are you moving to?

187 26,238
 01-28-2020, 07:05 AM
User Info
How long will it take for your goods to arrive at your new home?  On vacations, I've gone as long as 10 days with one razor, one soap, and one synthetic brush.

60 10,603
 01-28-2020, 07:23 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
(01-28-2020, 07:05 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: How long will it take for your goods to arrive at your new home?  On vacations, I've gone as long as 10 days with one razor, one soap, and one synthetic brush.

Haha, easy answer.  About an hour.  It's at the bottom of our street!  It's a new build, so we're just waiting for it to be completed.

1 673
 01-28-2020, 07:37 AM
User Info
(01-28-2020, 07:23 AM)David Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 07:05 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: How long will it take for your goods to arrive at your new home?  On vacations, I've gone as long as 10 days with one razor, one soap, and one synthetic brush.

Haha, easy answer.  About an hour.  It's at the bottom of our street!  It's a new build, so we're just waiting for it to be completed.

Ok.  Now I see the issue.  So, how long do you expect to be without all your gear while your new house is being built?

60 10,603
 01-28-2020, 07:51 AM
User Info
Possiblity: grow a beard, mustache

69 2,010
 01-28-2020, 08:03 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Use the gear that makes you smile, and that when you’re finished shaving you rub your face and say, “good shave.”

19 4,621
 01-28-2020, 02:44 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Keep a synthetic brush - can be used a few consecutive days

Bring soaps almost finished but well liked.  Nice to finish a few tubs and start with less in the new shave den.

17 968
 01-28-2020, 03:57 PM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
(01-28-2020, 07:37 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 07:23 AM)David Wrote:

Ok.  Now I see the issue.  So, how long do you expect to be without all your gear while your new house is being built?

It should be ready in 4 months.  The building is almost finished.  But, there is a lot of stuff to pack*, so it's now underway.

*and throw out.  Man, I sure do keep a lot of stuff that I never use.  Time to let it go.

1 673
 01-29-2020, 08:00 AM
User Info
pif what you don't use

69 2,010
 01-29-2020, 11:25 PM
User Info
Cleanse my man. We moved in august. I piffed and sold a boat load and am still thinning. Less stuff = better and more enjoyable shaves for me.

98 1,003
 01-30-2020, 07:50 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
(01-29-2020, 08:00 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: pif what you don't use

Yep, that's what I'm doing.  Just took a big box of stuff over to the charity store that sells the donations to raise money.  

I don't have shaving items to pif though, just all sorts of other stuff.

1 673
 01-30-2020, 07:53 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
(01-29-2020, 11:25 PM)chromedometone Wrote: Cleanse my man.  We moved in august.  I piffed and sold a boat load and am still thinning.  Less stuff = better and more enjoyable shaves for me.

I am seriously considering becoming a minimalist after the move.  

This process has caused me to think about what matters and what doesn't.  I just can't believe how much useless stuff I've accumulated over the years.

1 673
 01-30-2020, 08:26 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(01-30-2020, 07:53 AM)David Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 11:25 PM)chromedometone Wrote: Cleanse my man.  We moved in august.  I piffed and sold a boat load and am still thinning.  Less stuff = better and more enjoyable shaves for me.

I am seriously considering becoming a minimalist after the move.  

This process has caused me to think about what matters and what doesn't.  I just can't believe how much useless stuff I've accumulated over the years.

Some friends recently downsized from a large three bedroom house with a full basement, two car garage and an attic. Their new living quarters is a one bedroom apartment with limited closet space. THEY seriously downsized!

19 4,621