01-30-2020, 05:58 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I’ve come across only one example of a Simpson butterscotch Nimmer Mill CH2 in Best, and it was referenced here in the Shave Nook back in 2013.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=14667&pid=265024

As you can see, that superb, cited example was attributed to master brushmaker Stan Archer, the senior craftsman who made brushes (along with Beryl Parsons?) for Asprey of London.

And now, I am pleased to let you know that I have one, and in my view a better, older example in deeper butterscotch. But…there is a back story!

After I purchased the brush, the seller hinted to me that it had come from a ‘very illustrious’ estate. She was initially very reluctant to say who, but when gently pressed it was revealed to me that it had been purchased in 1978 as a gift for Mr Kenny Lynch OBE. It is likely that the Brits among you of a particular generation will know of Kenny Lynch. I’ll let you research the name, but be prepared for some amazing details. One clue: he features on the front cover of the Paul McCartney album “Band on the Run”. Yep. That’s him over to the left. Another clue: he was the first man to ever record a version of a Beatles song: “Misery”. 

Some may claim the provenance is dubious, but I am convinced. Details include the fact that the seller is a close friend of the wife of the deceased, and his recent funeral (attended by huge personalities including John Conteh and Sir Michael Parkinson) was held at a village a mere stone’s throw from the where the seller lives. Remember, these details were provided to me AFTER the sale and on the basis of my own researches. There would have been no reason to make any of this up. How do I feel about owing this brush? A bit strange, yes, I admit. 

And now a preliminary picture. I will post more when I have cleaned the brush up a little. Check the white tips. Is it two-band? Maybe not, no, but in that area, for sure. 

Handle 46; loft 50; knot 29. It is larger than the currently available CH2. 

I’d ask that if readers do find the details of the seller please do not contact her. The estate sale has been completed, and privacy on this matter should be respected. Thank you, all.

[Image: BqGs5Zx.jpg]

0 2,217
 01-30-2020, 06:10 PM
User Info
Wonderful vintage brush with a fascinating provenance!

60 9,943
 01-30-2020, 06:27 PM
User Info
Simply fascinating! I love it. Cheers

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5 214
 01-30-2020, 08:56 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Here's today's offering alongside the butterscotch:
[Image: xHasUw1.jpg]

0 2,217
 01-31-2020, 03:20 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
It’s the shave brush equivalent of a muscle car!
And a looker, at that.
Great find, Shaun. Thanks for sharing.

15 3,961
 01-31-2020, 03:37 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
That brush is stunning!  The history behind the brush makes it even better.  Thank you for sharing.

12 2,260
 01-31-2020, 10:33 AM
User Info
Signs011  Oustanding brush!!

8 2,016
 01-31-2020, 01:58 PM
User Info
The color is magnificent!

0 746
 01-31-2020, 02:34 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
I used the brush today. I also noted that it weighs in at 89gm, quite a bit more than today’s CH2, which is about 81-82gm.

This brush has a magnificent, luxurious face-feel, very soft. It is a larger loft, so it’s a bit on the larcenous side, but it’s not as big of a hog as all that. I think it may be just a matter of honing my technique.

The tips are outstandingly soft, and I really felt I was indulging in the ultimate shaving experience. I used some of my remaining vintage Floris Geranium Rose, along with an Aristocrat 22 loaded with a Personna 74 Tungsten Steel (shave number 12 so far... and as smooth and sharp as the first). Splash? Speick. I feel well and truly prepped for the day ahead.

0 2,217
 01-31-2020, 03:38 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
Great Post! Thanks for sharing.

66 1,926
 01-31-2020, 03:47 PM
User Info
(01-31-2020, 02:34 PM)Shaun Wrote: I used the brush today. I also noted that it weighs in at 89gm, quite a bit more than today’s CH2, which is about 81-82gm.

This brush has a magnificent, luxurious face-feel, very soft. It is a larger loft, so it’s a bit on the larcenous side, but it’s not as big of a hog as all that. I think it may be just a matter of honing my technique.

The tips are outstandingly soft, and I really felt I was indulging in the ultimate shaving experience. I used some of my remaining vintage Floris Geranium Rose, along with an Aristocrat 22 loaded with a Personna 74 Tungsten Steel (shave number 12 so far... and as smooth and sharp as the first). Splash? Speick. I feel well and truly prepped for the day ahead.
Outstanding shave, cheers

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5 214
 02-01-2020, 12:15 AM
User Info
What a wonderful brush.

My sincere hope is that the Simpson brushes we are making today are held in such high esteem & are still revered in many years to come.

Enjoy that Chubby and make sure you use it!

My best,

Mark

PS - I’m off to a large exhibition in Birmingham (UK) later today showcasing our brushes & associated products.

0 653
 02-01-2020, 12:20 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(02-01-2020, 12:15 AM)A.E. Simpson 1919 Wrote: What a wonderful brush.

My sincere hope is that the Simpson brushes we are making today are held in such high esteem & are still revered in many years to come.

Enjoy that Chubby and make sure you use it!

My best,

Mark

PS - I’m off to a large exhibition in Birmingham (UK) later today showcasing our brushes & associated products.

Very best wishes for the Birmingham exhibition, Mark.

Yes, Simpson brushes are held in very high regard indeed! I am sure I’ll be able to retrieve a ‘recent’ brush in years to come, and people will marvel!

Shaun

0 2,217
 02-01-2020, 01:55 AM
User Info
(01-31-2020, 02:34 PM)Shaun Wrote: I used the brush today. I also noted that it weighs in at 89gm, quite a bit more than today’s CH2, which is about 81-82gm.

Faceturbation, Shaun?  Smile

0 14
 02-01-2020, 01:58 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
But, but... I am, after all, a mere man.

0 2,217
 02-01-2020, 03:47 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info

Yet another marvelous brush!  Thanks for sharing, Shaun!

4 975
 02-01-2020, 09:59 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
[quote='BSWoodturning'

Yet another marvellous brush!  Thanks for sharing, Shaun!
[/quote]

A compliment from you is a compliment indeed, Brad! Always my pleasure to share. I share to add to the archive, hopefully making the history of wet shaving more and more interesting for both experienced shavers and newbies alike.

Shaun

0 2,217
 02-02-2020, 12:53 PM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(02-01-2020, 09:59 PM)Shaun Wrote: [quote='BSWoodturning'

Yet another marvelous brush!  Thanks for sharing, Shaun!

A compliment from you is a compliment indeed, Brad! Always my pleasure to share. I share to add to the archive, hopefully making the history of wet shaving more and more interesting for both experienced shavers and newbies alike.

Shaun
[/quote]

And that you do quite well.

4 975
 02-17-2020, 03:54 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I've never been a particular fan of Simpsons brushes, just a subjective opinion. When I was new to the game I felt it was mandatory to own at least a few but I didn't keep any of them. But the color,  proportions and provenance of this brush is absolutely stunning! Stunning! If I had it it would be mine forever. You sir, have every reason to be proud,  very proud.

8 2,732