01-31-2020, 02:49 AM
User Info
As far as shaving gear goes, we live in prosperous times.
This year not only brought me a new Pearl semi slant and a Wolfman WR2-DC, but also a new Karve in aluminium.

First impressions are very positive.
After the Bronze and the Stainless Steel this is my third Karve, so I guess it is fair to say their design works for me.

Size 40g x 108mm long, just the right dimensions for my hands.

This alu-Karve has its own characteristics.
It is - obviously - lighter and seems to give a light, close shave.
I experienced the same with my alu Phoenix DOC Safety Razor and my vintage Techs as well.
It might be typical for aluminium?

Lookwise, it gets a big thumbs up from the younger generation here in the house.
The anodised handle has a beautiful guilloche type of knurling that reminds me of the sort used in watches.

The color combination I did not know what to expect in real life.
It is stunning.

The alu Karve is a matte grey, with a red / dark grey head.
I find it very attractive.

[Image: atJ0k0o.jpg]

I have great experience with the F plate, so I ordered that one again.
It is F - gap = 1.23mm / exposure = positive 0.22mm.

After the first shave, the results are excellent.
I find every new razor to shave nick and irritation free, and this alu Karve is no exception.
Well done.

0 779
 02-28-2020, 11:21 PM
User Info
Did you buy directly from Karve? If so, how long between your order and shipment?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

0 16
 02-29-2020, 06:52 AM
User Info
(02-28-2020, 11:21 PM)fhalden Wrote: Did you buy directly from Karve? If so, how long between your order and shipment?

Yes, I got it from Karve's website.

This took a while, I ordered it after it was announced.
To the best of my knowledge, production had not started yet at that time.

Not quite sure, maybe 4 weeks waiting?

0 779
 03-02-2020, 10:18 PM
User Info
Congrats! The aluminum Karve is absolutely beautiful. Love the black and red design. I've used both the brass and stainless steel karve but not the aluminum, hope to pick one up someday! I've heard it feels different the the other two, some say it's snoother. Perhaps from having more control due to the lightweight.

0 87
 03-02-2020, 11:23 PM
User Info
Had mine on a D plate for a month and reach for it most days. Efficient, yet suitable for daily shaving and extremely nimble. Waiting for the next release to buy a backup and add another plate or two.

35 5,604
 03-03-2020, 12:31 AM
User Info
(03-02-2020, 10:18 PM)drewyoshida Wrote: Congrats! The aluminum Karve is absolutely beautiful. Love the black and red design. I've used both the brass and stainless steel karve but not the aluminum, hope to pick one up someday! I've heard it feels different the the other two, some say it's snoother. Perhaps from having more control due to the lightweight.

Yes, that was also my impression.
At least, it is different.

Weight is I think a factor.
Aluminium is lighter, and the shave feels closer.
Or that could be just an impression of course.

Maybe the weight gives one the confidence to apply just the right pressure?
Whereas in heavy metals, the weight does the work?

0 779
 03-03-2020, 12:34 AM
User Info
(03-02-2020, 11:23 PM)Optometrist Wrote: Had mine on a D plate for a month and reach for it most days. Efficient, yet suitable for daily shaving and extremely nimble. Waiting for the next release to buy a backup and add another plate or two.

That is a perfect description!

The Alu Karve is nimble indeed, and I second that it is a more than adequate daily shaver indeed.
Mine has not left the rotation since I received it :-)

0 779
 03-03-2020, 11:46 AM
User Info
(03-03-2020, 12:31 AM)wimbouman Wrote:
(03-02-2020, 10:18 PM)drewyoshida Wrote: Congrats! The aluminum Karve is absolutely beautiful. Love the black and red design. I've used both the brass and stainless steel karve but not the aluminum, hope to pick one up someday! I've heard it feels different the the other two, some say it's snoother. Perhaps from having more control due to the lightweight.

Yes, that was also my impression.
At least, it is different.

Weight is I think a factor.
Aluminium is lighter, and the shave feels closer.
Or that could be just an impression of course.

Maybe the weight gives one the confidence to apply just the right pressure?
Whereas in heavy metals, the weight does the work?
That makes sense. I believe so. When I had an aluminum lupo, I really liked the lightweight and it felt like I had more control over it, didn't feel like I had to use pressure it definitely did the work with just the sharpness of the blade. So it definitely allows you to choose how much pressure you want rather then the heavy metal forcing you too.

0 87
 03-03-2020, 04:56 PM
User Info
I’d like to get one of these. I have a couple of aluminum Wolfman razors and I prefer them to the stainless ones I have. Does anyone know when Karve may have these available again?

4 902
 03-03-2020, 07:22 PM
User Info
(03-03-2020, 04:56 PM)UngerWoo Wrote: I’d like to get one of these. I have a couple of aluminum Wolfman razors and I prefer them to the stainless ones I have. Does anyone know when Karve may have these available again?
I didn't even know wolfman made aluminum versions lol. If you like aluminum you should try the lupo if you haven't it's the same shave as a WR1 .61 as it's a carbon copy of the angle, exposure and gap. Not sure when they'll be available but I've heard soon I believe. They're also designing a top cap with covered blade tabs.

0 87
 03-03-2020, 11:15 PM
User Info
(03-03-2020, 04:56 PM)UngerWoo Wrote: I’d like to get one of these. I have a couple of aluminum Wolfman razors and I prefer them to the stainless ones I have. Does anyone know when Karve may have these available again?

Matt, when I emailed Chris last week, he told me he was hoping to have the aluminium on sale again in 4-6 weeks.

35 5,604
 03-06-2020, 12:21 PM
User Info
I'm going to pick up an aluminum karve when they have it in stock.

0 87