01-31-2020, 07:54 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
I just picked up a book at the library entitled, “The Clean Body: A modern history” by Peter Ward.

It’s full of interesting little tidbits, like this one on shaving. A social research group called Mass-Observation conducted a survey in the late 1930s. On the eve of the Second World War they published a report on men’s shaving practices.

The findings? Three quarters of their sample shaved at least every second day, though the proportion of daily shavers was much higher among the over-thirties than among those who were younger.

Also, some were using a new gadget called an electric razor. It was introduced in the late 1920s, and eliminated soap and water and reduced shaving time. The initial cost was very high—the better part of a British worker’s weekly wage at the time.

And, in mid-Depression Britain, there were 27 shaving soaps and 21 shaving creams on the market.

[Image: fwG5wtS.png]

1 606
 01-31-2020, 08:58 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Interested in perusing this book. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

15 3,941
 01-31-2020, 09:23 AM
User Info
That seems like an interesting book. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

60 9,913
 01-31-2020, 02:47 PM
User Info
Sounds interesting.. I must find a copy Smile

3 6,835
 02-03-2020, 07:53 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing

6 492
 02-04-2020, 05:18 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
As far as I know my father, uncle and grandfather shaved every day in the 1930s.  My father, who was born in 1913, was a real stickler about being clean shaven: he didn’t tolerate facial hair in any form and shaved every single morning come hell or high water.  He taught well as I don’t like facial hair and shave every day: no GQ stubble for me.

9 1,131
 02-05-2020, 04:39 AM
User Info
Interesting stuff, thanks for your post.

(01-31-2020, 07:54 AM)David Wrote: Also, some were using a new gadget called an electric razor. It was introduced in the late 1920s, and eliminated soap and water and reduced shaving time. 

Clearly this is where the downfall of civilisation started. The 20's was a golden age of almost unrivaled artistic, philosophical and social developments, then they invented the electric razor and look what happened. I rest my case.

1 401
 02-05-2020, 12:51 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(02-04-2020, 05:18 PM)Rufus Wrote: As far as I know my father, uncle and grandfather shaved every day in the 1930s.  My father, who was born in 1913, was a real stickler about being clean shaven: he didn’t tolerate facial hair in any form and shaved every single morning come hell or high water.  He taught well as I don’t like facial hair and shave every day: no GQ stubble for me.

My father was born in 1911 and like yours he shaved every morning.  I have always shaved every day until about a year ago, now I may wait two days before I shave, especially on weekends.

187 25,890
 02-06-2020, 11:42 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
(02-05-2020, 12:51 PM)Johnny Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 05:18 PM)Rufus Wrote: As far as I know my father, uncle and grandfather shaved every day in the 1930s.  My father, who was born in 1913, was a real stickler about being clean shaven: he didn’t tolerate facial hair in any form and shaved every single morning come hell or high water.  He taught well as I don’t like facial hair and shave every day: no GQ stubble for me.

My father was born in 1911 and like yours he shaved every morning.  I have always shaved every day until about a year ago, now I may wait two days before I shave, especially on weekends.

I don't think my dad ever missed a day shaving.  Like having breakfast, it was just something he automatically did every day.

I shave pretty much every day.  Why would I want to miss that pleasure?  (I also don't want to look like a tramp if I go out)

1 606
 02-06-2020, 12:31 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-06-2020, 11:42 AM)David Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 12:51 PM)Johnny Wrote:

I don't think my dad ever missed a day shaving.  Like having breakfast, it was just something he automatically did every day.

I shave pretty much every day.  Why would I want to miss that pleasure?  (I also don't want to look like a tramp if I go out)

My Dad, too. He might have missed two or three shaves a year. It was ingrained in that generation. They were

The Greatest Generation tion, tion, tion, tion...

If I miss a shave I feel grubby, so I’m pretty much a six days a week shaver. I’ve found that my skin benefits from the break and the next shave is always special.

15 3,941
 02-13-2020, 02:34 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
My granddad, born in 1890, my dad 1922 and me, '56,  all believed in the Leo Durocher quote, I'm paraphrasing,  " winning is a lot like shaving,  you got to do it everyday or you look like a bum."
Except for my years with a beard in the '80s.

8 2,731
 2 hours ago
User Info
Seems like a very interesting book. I'm always fascinated by history. How we adapt and cope during certain times in history. Even though times may be tough, or we have a tough day,  we find little ways to make our days better with a good shave. Spoil ourselves with spending a little extra money on a good soap, a good brush, or enjoy our favorite razor. Interesting book

0 31