02-01-2020, 03:35 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
The Brush of the Month is our way of saying Thank You to our loyal patrons (and patrons to be) for your support of our collaboration between Morris & Forndran and Brad Sears ShaveWorks. 

Every month we select a shaving brush from our catalog and offer it at a 10% discount for the duration of that month.  This month, we offer the Morris & Forndran Style 1 in both the familiar single resin Style 1 and the new Style 1 Bi-Colour.

[Image: F5BnWNk.jpg]

And the New Style 1 Bi-Colour
[Image: uG69ITg.jpg]

Enjoy!

4 1,066
 02-05-2020, 03:27 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
That Coral Style 1 is gorgeous, Brad. Is the band amber or lemon?

19 1,063
 02-05-2020, 05:02 PM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(02-05-2020, 03:27 PM)Puma Wrote: That Coral Style 1 is gorgeous, Brad. Is the band amber or lemon?

Glad you like it.  The belt is Amber resin.  The camera sensor sometimes has trouble discerning amber from lemon especially with the Coral surroundings.

4 1,066
 02-06-2020, 08:17 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-01-2020, 03:35 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote: The Brush of the Month is our way of saying Thank You to our loyal patrons (and patrons to be) for your support of our collaboration between Morris & Forndran and Brad Sears ShaveWorks. 

Every month we select a shaving brush from our catalog and offer it at a 10% discount for the duration of that month.  This month, we offer the Morris & Forndran Style 1 in both the familiar single resin Style 1 and the new Style 1 Bi-Colour.

Enjoy!

The bi-color seems taller than the monochrome version. Are my eyes deceiving me?

19 4,617
 02-07-2020, 06:12 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(02-06-2020, 08:17 PM)chazt Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 03:35 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote: The Brush of the Month is our way of saying Thank You to our loyal patrons (and patrons to be) for your support of our collaboration between Morris & Forndran and Brad Sears ShaveWorks. 

Enjoy!

The bi-color seems taller than the monochrome version. Are my eyes deceiving me?

You have a good eye, Charlie.  No, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you.  There are a few factors in play here.  First, the monochrome Ivory brush is a 26mm while the Bi-Colour is a 28.  Secondly, I intentionally made the 28mm brush slightly "slimmer" relative to its height.  Why?  Over time, I've come to realize that while increasing (or decreasing) handle dimensions proportionally (i.e., by ratio relative to socket diameter) works well in many cases, handle ergonomics and aesthetics (plain English:  "look and feel") can sometimes be improved by making slight diameter/handle geometry adjustments as socket ("knot") diameter changes.

The other thing to remember is that I hand fit every multi-piece handle and turn every handle on a large--but still "simple"--wood lathe.  That means at least two things:  (1)  Although I've gotten to the point where I can usually stay within +/-1mm of reference dimensions (no guarantees implied here, gentlemen!), I can almost guarantee there be more piece to piece variation than with similar handles turned on more sophisticated machinery.  And (2), it allows me to wrap my hand around every handle and to fine-tune its "feel" while it's still on the lathe.  Some will no doubt scoff at that, but--how can I say this?--the hand can sometimes detect subtle variations the eye might miss.  

Frankly, that's what "hand-crafted" is all about.  At this stage of life, I've learned not to rush.  It's important to me that every brush that leaves our workshop be the best we can produce at that time.  That last phrase is significant because I am always looking for ways to improve, whether it's our photography, going to $30/ounce adhesives to hold our multi-part handles together, developing a new design--or a variation on an existing one, my goal (not that I can always reach it!) is to make the next brush just a little bit better than the last one.  It's a matter of respect for you, the ones who shell out your hard-earned money for our work, and for ourselves.

There are many fine brushes available today.  (I would argue that overall shaving brush quality--at least at the high-end--has never been better.)  I will not claim our work to be the "best" because quality is in the eye of the beholder.  We respect that--and appreciate your patronage.

Thanks for weighing-in!

Best wishes,

4 1,066
 02-07-2020, 02:34 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-07-2020, 06:12 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote:
You have a good eye, Charlie.  No, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you.  There are a few factors in play here.  First, the monochrome Ivory brush is a 26mm while the Bi-Colour is a 28.  Secondly, I intentionally made the 28mm brush slightly "slimmer" relative to its height.  Why?  Over time, I've come to realize that while increasing (or decreasing) handle dimensions proportionally (i.e., by ratio relative to socket diameter) works well in many cases, handle ergonomics and aesthetics (plain English:  "look and feel") can sometimes be improved by making slight diameter/handle geometry adjustments as socket ("knot") diameter changes.

The other thing to remember is that I hand fit every multi-piece handle and turn every handle on a large--but still "simple"--wood lathe.  That means at least two things:  (1)  Although I've gotten to the point where I can usually stay within +/-1mm of reference dimensions (no guarantees implied here, gentlemen!), I can almost guarantee there be more piece to piece variation than with similar handles turned on more sophisticated machinery.  And (2), it allows me to wrap my hand around every handle and to fine-tune its "feel" while it's still on the lathe.  Some will no doubt scoff at that, but--how can I say this?--the hand can sometimes detect subtle variations the eye might miss.  

Frankly, that's what "hand-crafted" is all about.  At this stage of life, I've learned not to rush.  It's important to me that every brush that leaves our workshop be the best we can produce at that time.  That last phrase is significant because I am always looking for ways to improve, whether it's our photography, going to $30/ounce adhesives to hold our multi-part handles together, developing a new design--or a variation on an existing one, my goal (not that I can always reach it!) is to make the next brush just a little bit better than the last one.  It's a matter of respect for you, the ones who shell out your hard-earned money for our work, and for ourselves.

There are many fine brushes available today.  (I would argue that overall shaving brush quality--at least at the high-end--has never been better.)  I will not claim our work to be the "best" because quality is in the eye of the beholder.  We respect that--and appreciate your patronage.

Thanks for weighing-in!

Best wishes,

Brad, thanks for taking the time to offer such an erudite reply. You clearly love what you do!

19 4,617
 02-28-2020, 07:30 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
Just a quick reminder that tomorrow, February 29, is the last day to order a Style 1 at the discounted price.

4 1,066