02-02-2020, 03:11 PM
User Info
Hi,
     I have very, very sensitive skin that gets easily irritated at just about anything I try (almost). So, I'm looking for some new idea's and suggestions for shaving creams and soaps that are good for very sensitive skin and with excellent cushion and protection from any nicks or cuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

0 124
 02-02-2020, 03:28 PM
User Info
Do you know what ingredients cause problems for you?

0 1,208
 02-03-2020, 04:15 AM
  • Smudge
  • Hertfordshire UK
User Info
De Vergulde Hand is a Dutch shaving soap that is 100% hypoallergenic. It has a lovely fresh citrus scent, and provides good protection. It's readily available in Europe, although I'm not sure about the US.

0 35
 02-03-2020, 05:13 AM
User Info
I'd recommend you to try a Meissner Tremonia soap.

Excellent ingredients and great performance.

Edit: it would be helpful if you tell us which products didn't work for you.

60 2,730
 02-03-2020, 05:36 AM
User Info
I second the opinion with Meissner.

I would use a pre shave oil. This might help your skin gliding unharmed under the blade. 

Generally, stay with unscented soaps.

0 514
 02-03-2020, 06:33 AM
User Info
(02-02-2020, 03:11 PM)punchy Wrote: Hi,
     I have very, very sensitive skin that gets easily irritated at just about anything I try (almost). So, I'm looking for some new idea's and suggestions for shaving creams and soaps that are good for very sensitive skin and with excellent cushion and protection from any nicks or cuts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Institut Karité Paris Shaving Soap is without a doubt the most protective soap I've ever tried. Kinda long INCI though, so for allergies I dunno.

That said, I won't disagree with Meißner Tremonia.

1 405
 02-03-2020, 07:35 AM
User Info
I don't have sensitive skin, but Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort cream is nice.  I had a sample a while back and thought it was nice and is supposed to be especially for those with sensitive skin.  I can't give much of an assessment on the sensitive skin part, since I don't have such issues.

9 213
 02-03-2020, 07:53 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Only 2 soaps that have worked for my sensitive skin are: Grooming Dept and Wholly Kaw DM (yet to try the Siero but getting some).  Tried all the others mentioned in this thread to no avail - Meissner being one of worst albeit the best packaged soap on the market with terrific scents (if that matters).  Best prior to the current 2 being used was unscented Xpec but not even close to results getting now.

6 737
 02-03-2020, 09:14 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
The TOBS Jermyn Street line is specifically formulated for sensitive skin.  The line comprises shaving cream, shaving soap, after shave balm, alcohol-free aftershave splash and cologne, and pre-shave gel.

9 1,168
 02-03-2020, 09:21 AM
User Info
I like soaps with minimal ingredients which also are all natural to reduce chances of reactions.

The short list of what I found are.

Mike's natural unscented
Stirling Unscented or with beeswax
Esbjerg Sensitive
Wholly Kaw Bare Naked
SV Soaps

46 435
 02-03-2020, 09:22 AM
User Info
(02-03-2020, 07:53 AM)DanLaw Wrote: Only 2 soaps that have worked for my sensitive skin are: Grooming Dept and Wholly Kaw DM (yet to try the Siero but getting some).  Tried all the others mentioned in this thread to no avail - Meissner being one of worst albeit the best packaged soap on the market with terrific scents (if that matters).  Best prior to the current 2 being used was unscented Xpec but not even close to results getting now.

MT is certainly not one of the worst soaps in my book. I quite enjoy it every time I use it.

MT has neither fanboys nor drama.

MT is always available, 24/7.

If you buy a MT, you know you'll receive a soap and not a liquified "something". You will get it in time. The soap won't get moldy.

They don't use FO. 

MT is an all-around great product by one of the best European grooming companies.  

Another important thing is that MT is a certified company. They are obliged to comply with the European legislation of cosmetics, which, believe me, is very strict. That's why you won't ever get a liquified "something".

etc. etc.

You got it. I'm referring to GD. 

Speick is also a great recommendation.

60 2,730
 02-03-2020, 10:08 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Nikos, 

not trying to knock Meissner; they package in glass which means a LOT to me really and have terrific scents - it just dried out my skin terribly and apologies if that offends you.  

Speick soap worked OK for me but will say the Intensiv balm was up there with the best albeit it not ABC level of performance.  

Had high hopes for TOBS St Jermyn but it just didn't perform as well as hoped in crème nor balm.

6 737
 02-03-2020, 10:19 AM
User Info
(02-03-2020, 10:08 AM)DanLaw Wrote: Nikos, 

not trying to knock Meissner; they package in glass which means a LOT to me really and have terrific scents - it just dried out my skin terribly and apologies if that offends you.  

Speick soap worked OK for me but will say the Intensiv balm was up there with the best albeit it not ABC level of performance.  

Had high hopes for TOBS St Jermyn but it just didn't perform as well as hoped in crème nor balm.

Dan, you didn't offend me. It might have sounded like that, but no. 

Prior to reading your post here, I read that the maker of GD soaps suffers from depression because of negative comments on his business model, how he treats his customers etc., a reason why he chooses to disappear from time to time. Excuse me, but this is laughable. Now you understand why I answered like that. I apologize if I sounded like a jerk, but... is he for real? lol This is SO funny. Running a business is not for the faint-hearted. One of the very first things I learned.

60 2,730
 02-03-2020, 10:43 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Nikos,

No worries, we are good.  Have been dealing with Mo for some time.  He is incredibly intelligent having come from a blue chip background to shaving soap manufacturing; people so gifted are either incredibly arrogant/rude or introverted/sensitive in my life experience having dealt with many.  Those less susceptible to insult and injury need understand we are all different and blessed with a mix of different gifts as well as vulnerabilities - your ancestors understood the virtues and vices of men well, sharing them in story form as they created the Western culture passed on to the world.  

My perspective is MO is quite honest in all facets of his life including this post, sometimes perhaps a little too honest.  He is also a little OCD as a perfectionist seeking the bleeding edge - so he experiments.  Genius will do that and thank God for it.  Were this life and death, this experimentation might be a vice due to the potential consequences of failure; however, as it deals with soap and he makes whole errors, I find it a virtue - maybe others' opinion differ.  But Mo is definitely not the type to stick people, quite the opposite.

In summary, Mo has developed soaps that work the best on my extremely sensitive and damaged skin - better than any other manufacturer, with WK being the only other remotely close.  That is my experience.  I am neither paid by him, recipient of free products other than samples, have a financial interest nor am a personal friend not even possessing his phone number.  But I am indebted to him as shaves were pure Hell prior to his soap and if he disappeared would be entirely dependent on WK to be able to shave without a red swollen bleeding face even more unprepossessing than is now.

Best

D

6 737
 02-03-2020, 10:51 AM
User Info
(02-03-2020, 10:43 AM)DanLaw Wrote: Nikos,

No worries, we are good.  Have been dealing with Mo for some time.  He is incredibly intelligent having come from a blue chip background to shaving soap manufacturing, people so gifted are either incredibly arrogant/rude or introverted/sensitive in my life experience having dealt with many such persons.  Those less susceptible to insult and injury need understand we are all different and blessed with different gifts as well as vulnerabilities - your ancestors understood the virtues and vices of men well, sharing them in story form as they created the Western culture they passed on to the world.  

My perspective is MO is quite honest in all facets of his life including this post, sometimes perhaps a little too honest.  He is also a little OCD as a perfectionist seeking the bleeding edge - so he experiments.  Genius will do that and thank God for it.  Were this life and death, this experimentation might be a vice due to the potential consequences of failure.  However, as it deals with soap and he makes whole errors, I find it acceptable - maybe others differ.  But Mo is definitely not the type to stick people, quite the opposite.

In summary, Mo has developed soaps that work the best on my extremely sensitive and damaged skin better than any other manufacturer, with WK being the only other close.  That is my experience.  I am neither paid by him, recipient of free products other than samples, have a financial interest nor am a personal friend not even possessing his phone number.  But I am indebted to him as shaves were pure Hell prior to his soap and if he disappeared would be entirely dependent on WK to be able to shave without a red swollen bleeding face even more unprepossessing than is now.

Best

D
That is a good explanation, Dan. You sure know him better than me and I suspect better than most people in the hobby.
The hobby is full of negativity. If what he feels is true, then makers like B&M or Wolfman should have already committed suicide. Imagine how these guys feel all these years, but they are still here doing their best. You see where I'm getting at.

60 2,730
 02-03-2020, 10:55 AM
User Info
(02-02-2020, 03:28 PM)Shannon Wrote: Do you know what ingredients cause problems for you?

Not exactly, but, it seems to be anything synthetic.

0 124
 02-03-2020, 11:12 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Nikos,

One of the few lessons I have well and truly learned in life is people generally are not treated as they deserve: whether comprehensively misanthropic sociopaths receiving laudate and undeserved mercy when caught (e.g., Elizabeth Holmes) or the meek receiving vitriol for their suffering and undeserved malevolence when accused (e.g., Carter Page).  Some are able to cope better than others; my experience has been the pointy end of the intelligence spectrum generally suffer more and are less able to recover from social slights (they tend to be a self doubting lot).  James duFour is a great guy, have spoken with him a few times and dealt a lot via email; don't know the B&M guy(s).  To your point, I am not a hobbyist, just a guy driven to find a tolerable shave through freak of nature and bad life choices BUT it really is a shame how poorly the community treats its own.

Best
D

6 737
 02-03-2020, 11:46 AM
User Info
(02-03-2020, 04:15 AM)Smudge Wrote: De Vergulde Hand is a Dutch shaving soap that is 100% hypoallergenic. It has a lovely fresh citrus scent, and provides good protection. It's readily available in Europe, although I'm not sure about the US.

100% hypoallergenic is probably what I need most of all. I'll look into this, thanks.

0 124
 02-03-2020, 11:58 AM
User Info
(02-03-2020, 05:13 AM)nikos.a Wrote: I'd recommend you to try a Meissner Tremonia soap.

Excellent ingredients and great performance.

Edit: it would be helpful if you tell us which products didn't work for you.

The last one I used that didn't work was Palmolive classic shaving cream. It left my skin irritated, dry and red bumps in certain areas.

0 124
 02-03-2020, 12:01 PM
User Info
(02-03-2020, 05:36 AM)apogee. Wrote: I second the opinion with Meissner.

I would use a pre shave oil. This might help your skin gliding unharmed under the blade. 

Generally, stay with unscented soaps.
What exactly do you mean by "use a pre shave oil"? Do you mean coat my skin with oil first then add a regular cream or soap lather layer on top of the oil film layer, or do you mean some other way?

0 124