02-03-2020, 09:22 PM
User Info
Hi,
    I'm seeking some new ideas for double and single edge razors that have a very solidly and soundly mild shaving characteristic. Both new, modern, in-production examples and old, vintage, out-of production ones are considered. Thanks for any suggestions

0 124
 02-03-2020, 09:54 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
From my limited experience

$200+
- Carbon Shaving Cx: my favorite, efficient and mild enough to be a daily razor 
- Pils:  right angle and amazing with little blade feel

$100 and adjustable
- Rockwell 6s: shorter and heavier, plate 3 sounds good for you
- Occam's O.R.E.N. SE razor: 3 heads/plates
- ATT Limited Blue Aluminum edition and buy the mild & medium heads at the same time.  Do not try the aggressive H1 head that comes with the razor. 
(ATT = Above the Tie)

17 967
 02-03-2020, 11:48 PM
User Info
Mild, but rock solid and sound SE razor? The ATT SE1

[Image: t244byM.jpg]

36 2,140
 02-04-2020, 12:05 AM
User Info
+1 for the Rockwell.
Six options, was a smooth and Zero irritating shave.
If price matters you can consider the Rockwell 6c also.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

0 7
 02-04-2020, 03:53 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Game Changer .68 or step up the efficiency and maintain mildness with the GC .84.

19 4,454
 02-04-2020, 04:28 AM
User Info
DE. Razorock Mamba was the mildest I tried.

SE.. Go for the Gbar, featherweight, push button or contour. My preference would be the push button.

Injectors. These get the least attention of all, but are by far the smoothes and mildest of most razors. Model L to start with the ability to bump up the aggressiveness to a model g. With a small selection of blades like Gem razors, you can focus on the shave without wondering which of 50 different blades might work better.

SE and injectors have the most intuitive shave angle of all razor types.

46 433
 02-04-2020, 05:20 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-04-2020, 04:28 AM)hillbillyreverend Wrote: DE. Razorock Mamba was the mildest I tried.

SE.. Go for the Gbar, featherweight, push button or contour. My preference would be the push button.

Injectors. These get the least attention of all, but are by far the smoothes and mildest of most razors. Model L to start with the ability to bump up the aggressiveness to a model g. With a small selection of blades like Gem razors, you can focus on the shave without wondering which of 50 different blades might work better.

SE and injectors have the most intuitive shave angle of all razor types.

Good post.

I agree with you about injectors; I enjoy using them as a change from DE. My preference is for the type I. Smooth, efficient and much milder imo than the G type.

19 4,454
 02-04-2020, 05:30 AM
User Info
IMHO, any of these razors is truly excellent, efficient.
DE: Pils is least aggressive DE I know, Feather AS-D2 in the middle, Timeless 0.68 most aggressive of the mild razors I know
SE: Razorock Hawkeye in my limited SE experience is superb.
note: If you can afford a BBS-1, go for it.
blade: Kai

66 1,944
 02-04-2020, 07:42 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
+1 on a Schick injector type I and later. I really like my I2. Nikos has a Schick hydro magic for sale on BST that is NOS and a nice price. it was marketed to Ladies but it is the same head as a man's but with a colorful handle

surprised that the Gillette tech gets no mention. certainly, a nice vintage brass razor washed with gold or coated with chrome for under $30 that is smooth and efficient should qualify. A NOS travel tech can be had for a pittance, just add a new handle even though the little travel handle works just fine. most Gillettes from the 1950's on would qualify. If the Gillette you love is a bit beat up you can have it restored to brand new at Razor Emporium or just go there to find a very nice razor for a little more money.

although I love them, an Artist Club SE or GEM might not be for you.

have fun shopping.

0 477
 02-04-2020, 09:21 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Forio d'Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
(02-03-2020, 09:22 PM)punchy Wrote: ... very solidly and soundly mild shaving characteristic.

I love mild and light shavers.
Specially with long aluminium handle:
DE - Maggard MR14 with Standard Plus V3 / Cobbled V3A head
SE - RazoRock Hawk with Kai ProTouch blade
Both great systems, I prefer new SE.
Both great value.

0 2,267
 02-04-2020, 09:56 AM
  • Smudge
  • Hertfordshire UK
User Info
Save your money and pick up a vintage Schick Krona. A razor that is so mild it's almost impossible to cut yourself with it. However, don't think that mild means inefficient - it gets the job done beautifully, without any trace of irritation, if used correctly. Don't be put off by the plastic handle either - it's fine. I've lost count of the number of times that I've heard it described, on various forums, as one the most underrated razors there is.

0 35
 02-05-2020, 03:30 PM
User Info
Pre war tech. None better.

1 642
 02-05-2020, 07:20 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-05-2020, 03:30 PM)bkatbamna Wrote: Pre war tech. None better.

When my infatuation with Red Tips subsided I used a couple of prewar Techs for well over half my shaves. Yes, they are wonderful shavers - still use one once or twice a month. Over the last couple of years though, I’ve found that modern stainless or brass razors with their added mass seem to hold the blade a little more rigidly. The resulting shaves are often differently better. Can I quantify better? No. The modern razors that I’ve used and feel this was about are my Asylum Evolutions, iKon OSS and Game Changers. I’ve tried other SS and aluminum razors that didn’t appeal to me, but those mentioned are really aces in my book!

19 4,454
 02-05-2020, 08:42 PM
User Info
For a good mild SE I'd recommend a Blackland Sabre L1.
For DE, there are tons. A .68 solid bar timeless is great, as is the solid bar bronze timeless.

1 100
 02-06-2020, 08:59 AM
User Info
(02-05-2020, 07:20 PM)chazt Wrote:

When my infatuation with Red Tips subsided I used a couple of prewar Techs for well over half my shaves. Yes, they are wonderful shavers - still use one once or twice a month. Over the last couple of years though, I’ve found that modern stainless or brass razors with their added mass seem to hold the blade a little more rigidly. The resulting shaves are often differently better. Can I quantify better? No. The modern razors that I’ve used and feel this was about are my Asylum Evolutions, iKon OSS and Game Changers. I’ve tried other SS and aluminum razors that didn’t appeal to me, but those mentioned are really aces in my book!

My experience has been a bit different.  I only have a Wolfman Guerrilla though.  The pre-war tech is much better at shaving than the guerrilla.

1 642
 02-06-2020, 12:20 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-06-2020, 08:59 AM)bkatbamna Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 07:20 PM)chazt Wrote:

My experience has been a bit different.  I only have a Wolfman Guerrilla though.  The pre-war tech is much better at shaving than the guerrilla.

There were some conversations a while back where people briefly talked about the Guerilla. Haven’t heard much about it recently.

But to your original point, I agree that you’re spot on about those old Techs. Best bang for the buck for quality shaves!

19 4,454
 02-12-2020, 12:34 PM
User Info
STAR Model 100! Wonderfully mild shaver that always gives me OUTSTANDING results!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 02-13-2020, 04:56 PM
User Info
Wet Shaving Club artisan razor. All SS, CNC machined in USA and $59.99.

34 668
 02-17-2020, 07:41 AM
User Info
(02-12-2020, 12:34 PM)Ols67 Wrote: STAR Model 100!  Wonderfully mild shaver that always gives me OUTSTANDING results!

Vr

Matt

So I can’t believe I didn’t mention the Wilkinson Sticky razor, and I am very very impressed with the British #66 Aristocrat razor that I just received!  Also can’t go wrong with the Gillette Super Speed!

I wonder if razors were just made to be more mild back in the day when it was more common for men to shave everyday?

Now...the trend seems to be more socially acceptable to go 2-4 days between shaves, and manufactures are making more aggressive razors.

Vr 

Matt

36 2,326
 02-17-2020, 07:50 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-17-2020, 07:41 AM)Ols67 Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 12:34 PM)Ols67 Wrote: STAR Model 100!  Wonderfully mild shaver that always gives me OUTSTANDING results!

Vr

Matt

So I can’t believe I didn’t mention the Wilkinson Sticky razor, and I am very very impressed with the British #66 Aristocrat razor that I just received!  Also can’t go wrong with the Gillette Super Speed!

I wonder if razors were just made to be more mild back in the day when it was more common for men to shave everyday?

Now...the trend seems to be more socially acceptable to go 2-4 days between shaves, and manufactures are making more aggressive razors.

Vr 

Matt

Inferentially then, that must mean the definition of, “you look like a bum” has changed also.

19 4,454