02-05-2020, 05:13 PM
User Info
Has anyone tried this stone? It's sold by a website called Wild Whetstones and I've seen the guy promote them on Facebook. He claims that his one stone can do everything from bevel set up to finishing in the neighborhood of 30k depending on how coarsely it is finished. They come with a somewhat hefty price tag too with a 8x3x1 bench size stone costing about $225. Any thoughts on this rock?

0 5
 02-05-2020, 06:08 PM
User Info
I'm not familiar with this stone or vendor.  I'll read the website and Facebook pages.  I'm skeptical about claims that this one natural stone can replace an entire set of synthetic stones, and that its range is from sub 1000 grit to 30,000 grit.  I'm curious as to what others may have to say about it, and will be open to leaning something.

60 10,223
 02-06-2020, 06:52 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Jasper has been used/mentioned before as has agate and jade, it isn’t a new thing. I think mostly it just burnishes, but the ‘grit’ could be dependent on surface finish just like an Ark. Some of the vintage Panama razor hones had petrified wood for the fine side, which should be similar. I’ve always wanted one of those but someone always outbids me. For that price though, I’d go for the sure thing, a Dan’s high density Arkansas.

8 832
 02-06-2020, 10:11 AM
User Info
(02-06-2020, 06:52 AM)Steve56 Wrote: Jasper has been used/mentioned before as has agate and jade, it isn’t a new thing. I think mostly it just burnishes, but the ‘grit’ could be dependent on surface finish just like an Ark. Some of the vintage Panama razor hones had petrified wood for the fine side, which should be similar. I’ve always wanted one of those but someone always outbids me. For that price though, I’d go for the sure thing, a Dan’s high density Arkansas.

I've been so close to getting an Ark from Dan's several times but I have yet to go for it. I could never decide between the black or translucent. What would you recommend? Like you said, at least it's a tried and true stone that has a very solid reputation. I'd rather invest in that.

0 5
 02-06-2020, 11:10 AM
User Info
If you watch his YouTube vids or read on his FB page under Gabriel J Warren or search wild whetstone he talks about using his stones and explains how he gets his finish. I believe it’s mostly surface finish dependent and use of slurry. He uses a worn out dmt to slurry and surface finish of about 1k grit to for faster cutting. And the finer the burnish the higher the polish. Like true black or surgical black arks, his Ancient ocean jaspers are extremely hard. I’ve bought a couple of different stones from him and they do deliver. In my humble experience on the jasper, I’ve sharpened some kitchen knives with fine results. Razors required some skill with pressure control. I found the use of nagura to be a little more step by step friendly. I tested to see what kind of polish I can get on some kanna and kiridashi and i got a close to mirror/mirror polish. I have a translucent and surgical black that give me similar results and of course have a reputation that precedes them. I would say if you’re more comfortable investing in them, you won’t be disappointed. Gabriel does sell smaller size stones for lower costs. It’s fun to explore new stones and my experience is mostly on jnats. as of late I’ve been enjoying my translucent and black arks. Think cotis are next on my list. Hope this helps. Just fyi, the jaspers and crazy hard to lap and tiring but he claims they don’t dish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 20
 02-06-2020, 11:22 AM
User Info
(02-06-2020, 11:10 AM)Richieperalta Wrote: If you watch his YouTube vids or read on his FB page under Gabriel J Warren or search wild whetstone he talks about using his stones and explains how he gets his finish. I believe it’s mostly surface finish dependent and use of slurry. He uses a worn out dmt to slurry and surface finish of about 1k grit to for faster cutting. And the finer the burnish the higher the polish. Like true black or surgical black arks, his  Ancient ocean jaspers are extremely hard. I’ve bought a couple of different stones from him and they do deliver. In my humble experience on the jasper, I’ve sharpened some kitchen knives with fine results. Razors required some skill with pressure control. I found the use of nagura to be a little more step by step friendly. I tested to see what kind of polish I can get on some kanna and kiridashi and i got a close to mirror/mirror polish. I have a translucent and surgical black that give me similar results and of course have a reputation that precedes them. I would say if you’re  more comfortable investing in them, you won’t be disappointed. Gabriel does sell smaller size stones for lower costs. It’s fun to explore new stones and my experience is mostly on jnats.  as of late I’ve been enjoying my translucent and black arks. Think cotis are next on my list. Hope this helps. Just fyi, the jaspers and crazy hard to lap and tiring but he claims they don’t dish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info!!! It really is fun trying new stones. I recently got my first jnat and I love it. I have also been enjoying my Dota Creek stone from Jonathan Coe. I have found that the Dota can be pretty versatile as well depending on how the surface is finished. I've used it as a mid-range stone and also to finish. I prefer using that stone with oil rather than water because water just beads right up. I have a feeling I might go for a translucent in the near future though. Such a fun hobby!!

0 5
 02-07-2020, 04:57 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
(02-06-2020, 10:11 AM)DrFeelg00d Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 06:52 AM)Steve56 Wrote: Jasper has been used/mentioned before as has agate and jade, it isn’t a new thing. I think mostly it just burnishes, but the ‘grit’ could be dependent on surface finish just like an Ark. Some of the vintage Panama razor hones had petrified wood for the fine side, which should be similar. I’ve always wanted one of those but someone always outbids me. For that price though, I’d go for the sure thing, a Dan’s high density Arkansas.

I've been so close to getting an Ark from Dan's several times but I have yet to go for it. I could never decide between the black or translucent. What would you recommend? Like you said, at least it's a tried and true stone that has a very solid reputation. I'd rather invest in that.

I’m not much of an Ark person but the conventional Ark wisdom is to get the one with the highest density.

Just ask the good folks at Dan’s for a fine razor finisher and that’s what you’ll get.

8 832