09-25-2012, 12:42 PM
User Info
This has probably been discussed before here or on other forums. This year I've bought three different Simpson brushes in their Best grade hair: a Colonel, a Duke 3 and a Chubby 1 (pictured below). I'm surprised at the differences in the hair. The Colonel is pretty soft, with a bit of scritch and it is a good brush. The D3 is quite soft, very similar to the Super and Silvertip grade brushes I've owned. It's a very good brush. The Chubby is downright scratchy. If you told me that it was actually Pure grade I'd believe you. I've only used it about six times but so far I'm rather disappointed with it. Have other owners of multiple Simpson Best brushes had similar experience?

15 762
 09-25-2012, 12:52 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
All of them feel the same to me Huh

88 4,233
 09-25-2012, 12:54 PM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
The knot on the chubby looks to be set lower than the other 2. This will give it more backbone but shouldn't impact the scritch of the tips.
I have the colonel and the only other simpsons I have in best is the wee. I haven't noticed any significant difference in scritchiness between the 2.

I'm curious as well if others have seen a wide variance in Simpsons best hair.

19 591
 09-25-2012, 12:59 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I've had 8 Simpsons in Best and the softness, scritchiness, density and splay varied quite a bit. Your Duke 3 sounds a lot like my favorite Rover. My Rover is like a fist of hair, but soft with no scritch. I used to be a scritch lover but now a scritch hater.

0 204
 09-25-2012, 01:30 PM
User Info
The tips of your Chubby look different compared to the others, maybe darker? I really feel with you, the Ch1 is not on the cheap side.
I made the same experience with varying hairgrades within the Best line. 3 Best brushes which feel quite the same, but one Berkeley in Best, which stands out of the line. It is a bit scritchy (not scratchy) - it is there believe me. It has nothing to do with lower set knots or anything like backbone. That Berkely I'm talking about hasnt much backbone, it's rather on the Vulfix side. Less hair than the others too - and still - it is scritchy.

0 112
 09-25-2012, 02:00 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
(09-25-2012, 01:30 PM)infabo Wrote: That Berkely I'm talking about hasnt much backbone, it's rather on the Vulfix side. Less hair than the others too - and still - it is scritchy.

My Berkeley has great backbone, I'm just tired of the scritch.

0 204
 09-25-2012, 02:40 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
There are not two kilos of badger hair ("lesser grades " than silvertip) which are identical , Im afraid.So yes, I have experienced the same than you : my Berkeley best mas very scrtichy and unpleasant to use ,almost like pure badger , while most of the best badger grades from Simpson have been a real pleasure to use , and my favorite Simpson badger hair grade so far.

86 7,123
 09-25-2012, 03:03 PM
User Info
Your experience is not unlike what I have read about the Simpsons best hair.

I think their best hair ecompasses the range of TGN's Silvertip Grade A & regular ST.

9 2,988
 09-26-2012, 12:13 AM
User Info
Knot density.

The clue is in your descriptions & assessment of the brushes.

"The Colonel is pretty soft"

"The D3 is quite soft"

"The Chubby is downright scratchy"

The tighter the knot is packed, generally the less soft it will feel.

Mark

1 630
 09-26-2012, 07:04 AM
User Info
(09-26-2012, 12:13 AM)Simpson1919 Wrote: Knot density.

The clue is in your descriptions & assessment of the brushes.

"The Colonel is pretty soft"

"The D3 is quite soft"

"The Chubby is downright scratchy"

Mark

Mark - I am a Simpson's fan no doubt - and you are a teriffic amabassador for them.

However, I don't think this explanation covers it. For example I owned both the LE Eagle in Best (commissioned by that OTHER forum) and the LE Rover in best from WCS. Both were SIGNIFCANTLY softer than my Duke 2 or 3 in best, which were clearly less densely packed than either the Eagle or Rover.

No question the Eagle was the mostly densely packed brush I've ever owned, period. The Rover was also packed tight - I had an unusually short lofted one - about a 22/44mm brush - but much closer to your 3-band super than either Duke in best.

I really believe the hair batches within the best grade can vary significantly as do your knot specs.

27 353
 09-26-2012, 07:15 AM
User Info
They do vary, we can't escape that fact. Natural product purchased from differing sources in various regions. Difficult, very difficult to keep it totally consistent - but pound for pound, buck for buck, I still believe our Best grade of hair outguns the competition.

Significantly different batches? I'm not so sure about that.

YMMV again ...

1 630
 09-26-2012, 10:51 AM
User Info
All my Simpson best grade brushes are all very very soft bar one. It has a touch of scritch. The others are so soft, if they were stamped super, you'd think they are.

Mark and co are doing a good job in making best badger, the best Smile

7 1,179
 09-27-2012, 01:29 AM
User Info
(09-25-2012, 02:00 PM)njpaddy Wrote:
(09-25-2012, 01:30 PM)infabo Wrote: That Berkely I'm talking about hasnt much backbone, it's rather on the Vulfix side. Less hair than the others too - and still - it is scritchy.

My Berkeley has great backbone, I'm just tired of the scritch.

Hm. I've got two Berkeleys which I can compare. One has real good backbone, is nicely packed and the tips are like I would expect from a Best brush - they are soft, but not as soft like Super can be. The other one has less backbone (quite on the Vulfix side), has less hair and the tips are scritchy. That's a lot of variation in all "core points" (density, softness, backbone) - more than I think it should be.

0 112
 09-27-2012, 09:01 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The only "disappointment" with Simpson best badger brush was with a Berkely , and it was like Infabo have pointed : not a lot of hair density , not too much backbone and scritchy tips.Since then , all the best badgers that I have tried have been excellent performers.

86 7,123
 09-28-2012, 10:39 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I have noticed a significant variation in Simpsons Best as well, and I don't think it has to do with knot density or dimensions. When I get around to it, I'll supply some photos. A number of my Best brushes have had hair that is very similar in look and feel - what I consider to be typical Simpsons Best. But,

I had a Chubby 2 in Best that looked more like a 2-band and felt closer to Pure.

I had a 56 that looked and felt more like a Super 3-band. Its tips curled slightly when dry.

My Eagle G3 Best (LE) has an orange-hued hair that is softer than any other Best I have tried and seems to have less backbone (not noticed because it is a short, dense knot).

I don't think one can go wrong with Simpsons Best. But I do think it is very nice to be able to handle one before purchasing.

43 1,690
 09-29-2012, 08:36 AM
User Info
I agree that density alone does not explain it. For one, the Duke at least seems to me to be much more dense than the Colonel but is a softer brush. I can certainly notice the difference in backbone and scrub from the denser knot of the Chubby but I can't understand why it should be scratchier than my other Simspon brushes with the same grade of hair.

(09-26-2012, 07:04 AM)scritchnscrub Wrote:

Mark

Mark - I am a Simpson's fan no doubt - and you are a teriffic amabassador for them.

However, I don't think this explanation covers it.

15 762
 09-29-2012, 09:46 AM
User Info
My both Commodores X2 and X3 had significantly more scritch and less density than my 58 in so called Best. X2 and X3 are in the 60-80 price range, and the 58 is in the 130-140 price. But all three have '(the) Best' hair grade... or not.

2 180
 09-29-2012, 10:37 AM
User Info
(09-29-2012, 08:36 AM)guildx500 Wrote: I agree that density alone does not explain it. For one, the Duke at least seems to me to be much more dense than the Colonel but is a softer brush. I can certainly notice the difference in backbone and scrub from the denser knot of the Chubby but I can't understand why it should be scratchier than my other Simspon brushes with the same grade of hair.

(09-26-2012, 07:04 AM)scritchnscrub Wrote:

Mark

What Mark writes is true. Ceteris parabis, given the same exact hair, if you pack more of it into the same area, you end up with a lot more backbone and more scritch/scratch because the tips don't flex as much.

That said, that doesn't mean Best Badger hair doesn't have very distinct differences from brush to brush.

You can only make so much brushes from one badger.

9 2,988
 09-29-2012, 09:10 PM
User Info
(09-29-2012, 10:37 AM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(09-29-2012, 08:36 AM)guildx500 Wrote: I agree that density alone does not explain it. For one, the Duke at least seems to me to be much more dense than the Colonel but is a softer brush. I can certainly notice the difference in backbone and scrub from the denser knot of the Chubby but I can't understand why it should be scratchier than my other Simspon brushes with the same grade of hair.

(09-26-2012, 07:04 AM)scritchnscrub Wrote: Mark - I am a Simpson's fan no doubt - and you are a teriffic amabassador for them.

What Mark writes is true. Ceteris parabis, given the same exact hair, if you pack more of it into the same area, you end up with a lot more backbone and more scritch/scratch because the tips don't flex as much.

That said, that doesn't mean Best Badger hair doesn't have very distinct differences from brush to brush.

You can only make so much brushes from one badger.

Whilst the supply of badger hair can vary, it is up to the quality control of the manufacturer to ensure that just because they have received "best" grade from their supplier, that it actually meets their specs of the grade.

e.g. My first Berkeley was perfect. I loved it totally. It had good density, soft but scrubby tips (not scratchy!) and decent back bone. I sold it and a few months later, bought another one and boy was I shocked. The 2nd Berkeley had much darker tips, much less hair in the brush, horrible scratch and just plain unpleasant to use! I couldn't believe the variance of what should be a near identical product if a manufacturer quality control process is strong.

Then, I bought a commodore X1 and it is PERFECT! Great soft/scrubby tips, nice density with great flow-through, perfect back bone...I love it!!! I got it from the superior shave because I couldn't bring myself to buy a Simpson brush without looking at it.

I agree Simpson brushes are awesome and the X1 is my daily brush however, the variance in the specs is worrisome and personally, I wouldn't buy another without looking at actual stock. I'll repeat, I LOVE my X1 in Best Biggrin

0 69
 09-29-2012, 10:17 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I do seriously regret selling my Commodore X1 in best badger : it had one of the most luxurious best badger hair from Simpson that I have tried so far.

86 7,123