02-10-2020, 11:14 AM
User Info
Gents,

I have been asked a couple times how I am lathering my Sebum Gold Soaps.  I am no expert, but I am happy to share.  Thus far I have used Tonka, Blue, Red, Lime, Purple, and Gold.  

The best soap I have ever used is Tonka, and the second best is this Sebum Lime.  I just used Lime a little bit ago, and here is what I did.

I soaked a shavemac two band in a tea cup of distilled water, and I let it sit while I was in the shower.  In addition, I smeared some of the Sebum Lime soap in the bottom of my lather bowl, and I randomly put 10 drops on it with my syringe.  I also had that sit on top of the soap while I took a shower.  

[Image: Xyba8q5.jpg]
[Image: gD8OPeT.jpg]
Once I was done with the shower I removed the brush from the distilled water, and shook out all excess water.  I proceeded to lather until the soap was pastey.
[Image: yC1gpTt.jpg]

I then added exactly 1ml of distilled water with the syringe, and went back to work until the soap was pastey.
[Image: VZpgwiL.jpg]

I then added exactly 1ml of distilled water, and went back to work until the soap in the bowl was pastey.

[Image: QJRqgmp.jpg]

Here is what the brush looked like at this step...pastey.

[Image: 4Yr7Gld.jpg]

I then added exactly 1ml of distilled water, and went back to work until the soap was pastey.
[Image: 7bEstUR.jpg]

Now we are starting to get somewhere!  I next added 1ml of distilled water, and went back to work until the soap was pastey and building up on the walls.
[Image: 97WaSGc.jpg]
Next I added exactly 1ml of distilled water, and went back to work.  Once some nice lather was building up on the walls, I scraped my brush over the walls, and this was where I was at...it’s starting to look nice, and I was starting to get excited with what was hiding in the brush!

[Image: SKR3d9R.jpg]

I next added 1ml of distilled water, and I went back to work swirling the brush around, pumping it up and down on the lather, and I figured that it was ready for a brush squeeze to see where I was at in the process.  Here is what was squeezed out of the brush.
[Image: QqEuF8f.jpg]

Pretty awesome, but not yet perfect.  I again added exactly 1ml of distilled water, and went back to work swirling the brush around the bowl, whipping the lather, and pumping the brush.  I did this for a bit, and here are the final brush squeeze pictures.
[Image: ScbLI0c.jpg][Image: QM6WvWI.jpg][Image: 5CxqvC1.jpg][Image: uaKSWjo.jpg][Image: pOSYMWO.jpg][Image: DWr6wMM.jpg][Image: lW85uhD.jpg]

I hope that helps some folks who might be having trouble lathering this soap.  This was plenty of lather for three passes, and a lengthy touch up pass where I was chasing the BBS with my extremely mild Gillette Super Speed razor.

I guess the main advice I have is to use distilled water, use a syringe, use patience, and have faith.  You will be rewarded!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 02-10-2020, 11:29 AM
User Info
Matt, you sure this is not a chantilly cream?

Wonderful tutorial!

60 2,730
 02-10-2020, 11:54 AM
User Info
(02-10-2020, 11:29 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Matt, you sure this is not a chantilly cream?

Wonderful tutorial!

Hey Nick! What’s happening?

Yeahp...I am sure...it’s shave soap! As I am sitting here reveling in the post-shave bliss...I wonder if Lime is as good as Tonka!? More testing required I guess! Yes...more testing using a straight razor is called for on this one!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 02-10-2020, 12:03 PM
User Info
(02-10-2020, 11:54 AM)Ols67 Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 11:29 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Matt, you sure this is not a chantilly cream?

Wonderful tutorial!

Hey Nick! What’s happening?

Yeahp...I am sure...it’s shave soap! As I am sitting here reveling in the post-shave bliss...I wonder if Lime is as good as Tonka!? More testing required I guess! Yes...more testing using a straight razor is called for on this one!

Vr

Matt
All good Matt, I hope you're fine too!

What I'm pretty sure about is that these threads are certainly helpful for many!

60 2,730
 02-10-2020, 12:15 PM
User Info
(02-10-2020, 12:03 PM)nikos.a Wrote:
(02-10-2020, 11:54 AM)Ols67 Wrote:

Wonderful tutorial!

Hey Nick!  What’s happening?

Yeahp...I am sure...it’s shave soap!  As I am sitting here reveling in the post-shave bliss...I wonder if Lime is as good as Tonka!?  More testing required I guess!  Yes...more testing using a straight razor is called for on this one!

Vr

Matt
All good Matt, I hope you're fine too!

What I'm pretty sure about is that these threads are certainly helpful for many!

Thanks Nick!  We all get there together as far as I am concerned!

Vr 

Matt

36 2,326
 02-11-2020, 06:55 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Very informative demonstration about how to slowly build the lather by adding small amounts of water.

39 6,277
 02-11-2020, 10:21 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
How much soap are you using for that lather Matt?

8 832
 02-11-2020, 11:44 AM
User Info
(02-11-2020, 10:21 AM)Steve56 Wrote: How much soap are you using for that lather Matt?

Hi Steve!  Not that much...to give you a better idea here is the metal spoon next to a plastic spoon, here is what I scraped out of the glass jar, and here was what was left.  

This was the first time I used the Sebum Lime soap, and looking back on it, I am exceedingly happy with how it went!

I could have used a little bit less, and still had plenty.  However, I would rather have a little extra than not enough!

Vr 

Matt
[Image: P2tzhZT.jpg][Image: 0lVIliD.jpg][Image: tvHN9YI.jpg]

36 2,326
 02-11-2020, 06:51 PM
User Info
Isn’t this the same technique to get good lather from just about every soap? What am I missing? Is it because I build on the puck (vs bowl) that I’m not seeing the difference? Is it because I’m adding a few drops vs 10ml at a go?

Looking at the results, and they are fine results, I’m left thinking: just lather this like anything else.

36 2,049
 02-11-2020, 07:17 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(02-11-2020, 11:44 AM)Ols67 Wrote: [Image: 0lVIliD.jpg]

Not a lot????

Then again... Maybe I just should really start loading more... just for the heck of it. Might as well.

98 3,991
 02-11-2020, 07:35 PM
User Info
(02-11-2020, 06:51 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Isn’t this the same technique to get good lather from just about every soap? What am I missing? Is it because I build on the puck (vs bowl) that I’m not seeing the difference? Is it because I’m adding a few drops vs 10ml at a go?

Looking at the results, and they are fine results,  I’m left thinking: just lather this like anything else.

Hi Mike!  I think that you raise a pretty fine point.  It is not rocket science, it is lathering soap.  However, I think that some people are disappointed with the results of lathering Sebum Soaps when they think, “It is just soap, I will lather it the way I always lather my other soaps!”  I see it on forums when people post about this soap being mediocre, and I see the frustration when people are asking me how I am doing it in private messages.

The Sebum Gold Soap has four ingredients, if you consider the EO Blend being one ingredient, as you can see on the wood label below.  You also might note that there are a lot of things missing that you will find in the ingredient lists of many other soaps that you have in your rotation.

[Image: J341RNG.jpg]

This soap is different, and as such, I think that one needs to lather it differently than their other soaps.  First off, it can’t handle a bunch of water up front, and then little by little more water needs to be added in small increments as you go through the lathering process.

Initially I thought to myself I would just lather it up like my other soaps, and my first impression was, “Meh...it’s above average.”  However, I stuck with it, learned about it, and the process above was what I have come up with which works for me.  

Usually, when lathering other soaps, I add 1 tsp at a time with a syringe, and that works great!  I have found with Sebum Soaps that they work better when adding the distilled water in 1 ml increments.

The process I described in this thread is what allows the soap to literally expand before my eyes, and it leads to the ooey gooey goodness in the photos above.  Once I have what I am looking for, I simply paint the lather onto my face with the brush.  I do add a few drops here and there during the painting it on my face part when needed, and then I am good to go for the shave.  

This took my opinion of Sebum Soaps from being about my 12-15th favorite soap, straight up to my number one spot.

Vr 

Matt

36 2,326
 02-11-2020, 07:37 PM
User Info
(02-11-2020, 07:17 PM)Nero Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 11:44 AM)Ols67 Wrote: [Image: 0lVIliD.jpg]

Not a lot????

Then again... Maybe I just should really start loading more... just for the heck of it. Might as well.

I have a big fat face, so I need a lot of lather!  Load it like ya hate it, as they say!

Vr 

Matt

36 2,326
 02-11-2020, 08:11 PM
User Info
so this soap takes very precisely measured 1ml amounts of distilled water at regular carefully controlled intervals.

Or, it’s simply not a very thirsty soap - so just use less water.

Seems to be a standard lather dial-in process, add water slowly. This is, for instance, the same difference between nuavia and Mike’s - the former being less thirsty than the latter. Other than the amount of water you add at a go - lathering is essentially the same (though I’m not sold on using distilled water).

Apologies for the disruption, nothing to see here. Please continue.

36 2,049
 02-11-2020, 10:35 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(02-11-2020, 08:11 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: so this soap takes very precisely measured 1ml amounts of distilled water at regular carefully controlled intervals.

Or, it’s simply not a very thirsty soap - so just use less water.

Seems to be a standard lather dial-in process, add water slowly. This is, for instance, the same difference between nuavia and Mike’s - the former being less thirsty than the latter. Other than the amount of water you add at a go - lathering is essentially the same (though I’m not sold on using distilled water).

Apologies for the disruption, nothing to see here. Please continue.

It’s simply not a thirsty soap: less water, added slowly, while beating with brush.

I use regular water, no syringe, and achieve great results every time.

116 19,364
 02-11-2020, 10:49 PM
User Info
Interesting. I always face lather and I do it in the shower. I use only badger hair brushes. I heard Sē’bŭm is more finicky to lather with a badger. Would you suggest using a dryer brush? I emailed Rick and asked if he could make me an unscented soap. I have very sensitive skin and can’t take even EO.

0 117
 02-12-2020, 09:41 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Great demonstration, and very informative.
I no longer own any sebum soap because I found it sub-par in performance and very finicky to lather.
One thing that bothers me about this particular soap is as expensive and hyped as this soap is, it shouldn't need a "special way" to lather it.  Mystic Waters soaps are dirt cheap and is the only other soap I've used that needs a "special way" to lather, but it's 1/10th the price of sebum.  I've standardized my den on Grooming Dept soaps because they produce a fabulous lather with no effort at all.

49 2,148
 02-12-2020, 09:48 AM
User Info
Matt-very nice demonstration and pics!

Shaved with the Gold this morning, decided to bowl lather and use the dry brush/add small amounts of water method. No syringe, but pretty consistent.

Very good results, plenty of lather-my only hesitation about using this more often is that the residual glide is not great. Post shave is top tier, of course.

Was wondering about your experience with the Tonka soap. Is it, as advertised, better in performance, especially with a straight razor, than the 'standard' Sebum soaps?

Thanks in advance.

36 1,017
 02-12-2020, 10:10 AM
User Info
(02-12-2020, 09:48 AM)Michael P Wrote: Matt-very nice demonstration and pics!

Shaved with the Gold this morning, decided to bowl lather and use the dry brush/add small amounts of water method. No syringe, but pretty consistent.

Very good results, plenty of lather-my only hesitation about using this more often is that the residual glide is not great. Post shave is top tier, of course.

Was wondering about your experience with the Tonka soap. Is it, as advertised, better in performance, especially with a straight razor, than the 'standard' Sebum soaps?

Thanks in advance.

Michael,

Hello! I have used Tonka a few times with a DE and an SR, and it is the best soap that I have used. It has better slickness than the other Sebum soaps.

That being said, Sebum Lime soap came damn close on its first use, and since I am a huge fan of beautiful Lime fragrances, I think that it represents the better value.

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 02-12-2020, 02:17 PM
User Info
(02-12-2020, 10:10 AM)Ols67 Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 09:48 AM)Michael P Wrote: Matt-very nice demonstration and pics!

Thanks in advance.

Michael,

Hello!  I have used Tonka a few times with a DE and an SR, and it is the best soap that I have used.  It has better slickness than the other Sebum soaps.

That being said, Sebum Lime soap came damn close on its first use, and since I am a huge fan of beautiful Lime fragrances, I think that it represents the better value.

Vr

Matt

Thanks very much, Matt. So now it's deciding among the Latte, Tonka, and Lime! I'm leaning toward the Tonka for the slipperiness. Appreciate your advice!

36 1,017
 02-12-2020, 03:23 PM
User Info
(02-12-2020, 02:17 PM)Michael P Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 10:10 AM)Ols67 Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 09:48 AM)Michael P Wrote: Matt-very nice demonstration and pics!

Thanks in advance.

Michael,

Hello!  I have used Tonka a few times with a DE and an SR, and it is the best soap that I have used.  It has better slickness than the other Sebum soaps.

Vr

Matt

Thanks very much, Matt. So now it's deciding among the Latte, Tonka, and Lime! I'm leaning toward the Tonka for the slipperiness. Appreciate your advice!

I don’t think you would be disappointed with the Lime or Tonka. The Latte smells wonderful initially, but the dry down of the serum is a bit cloying to my nose. I know some folks really enjoy it, just not my cup of tea!

I chose not to pursue it.

Vr

Matt

36 2,326